The OnePlus 5T – How 18:9 Screen, Back Fingerprint Scanner and Face Unlock Come Together

1. jimmmysil
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2017

jimmmysil , Nov 22, 2017 :
    Great implementation! Really like the fingerprint scanner at the back since is the natural placement of your finger when you holding your phone or getting it out of your pocket! Also the 18:9 bezeless screen and face unlock are great and so 2017 features!

Also an Always On Display would be a nice addition and blends great with the back fingerprint scanner to check notifications without touching the device or powering on the screen

2. G_Erik_Törnell_hfOa
    Donut Nov 22, 2017

G_Erik_Törnell_hfOa , Nov 22, 2017 :
    About the 18:9 or 2:1 aspect ratios, manufacturers do it so because you should easily be able to compare it and directly know that it's bigger than the well known 16:9 aspect ratio

3. Babluu
    Eclair Nov 22, 2017

4. xchris
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

xchris , Nov 22, 2017 :
    I think it's been a bad decision...

i always liked OP devices because of physical buttons and front fingerprint sensor.

I do not trust face unlock (and i think it's not very useful in different situations - low light , in car where your phone is far from beeing aligned with your face) and i don't like a phone that drains more, for this feature. ( i also disable gestures for this)

This op5T is only marketing gimmick.
    A better battery, and ip68 , a USB-C capable of video output were more interesting features.
    S8 costs the same where i live, and is much better. (only thing i would miss in S8 is a clean software like OOS)

(BTW ... s8 has more features, but still has some of this "marketing" problems... no buttons, sensor on the rear..)

Anyway.. i keep my old OP2, hoping for a better OP6

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017

5. Ram A Singh
    Eclair Nov 22, 2017

Ram A Singh , Nov 22, 2017 :
    can anyone confirm, op is bringing
    op5ta on 1 jan 2018

6. F_Marcio_Barros_pnoe
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2017

7. aris
    Jelly Bean Nov 23, 2017

8. Odin2001iom
    Donut Nov 24, 2017

Odin2001iom , Nov 24, 2017 :
    I've had a backside fingerprint scanner and now a OP5 and I have to say I much prefer the front side scanner on the OP5. being able to unlock my phone in a cradle without having to pick it up is so nice. please keep front fingerprint scanners.

9. flancellotta
    Gingerbread Dec 4, 2017

flancellotta , Dec 4, 2017 :
    I agree. I love my op3t and its front fingerprint scanner. It works flawlessly and I firmly believe putting it on the back is a backstep. Apart from this, I would see an op6 more as a natural evolution with front sensor and ip68. Those are the innovative features comparing to the op5t. Strange world, we already had 50% of them on op3 (I'm talking about the front fingerprint scanner :)

10. Marijn Schippers
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2017

Marijn Schippers , Dec 9, 2017 :
    What a great post.

But i got a question about the aspect ratio for games. almost all the games in the playstore are designed for a 16/9 aspect screen. i noticed that the 5t scales the side up so they fit on the 18/9 aspect screen and so crops out a part of the upper side the game.

for the most games this doesn't matter, but a few games and proberly some apps will lose some functions. is there an option tho display the games and aps in a 16/9 aspect with black bars on each side?

With kind regards
    Marijn

11. ShinsFortress
    Cupcake May 4, 2018

ShinsFortress , May 4, 2018 :
    I like the phone, but decided not to get it and am keeping my OP 3T until something better comes along. OP 5T Face Recognition is not secure enough to rely on it as I need and the Fingerprint Scanner move to the back takes the phone off the menu for me.

Careful OnePlus, if you keep using others ideas instead of sticking to your principles it might not work out.....

12. V1525435312539
    Donut May 4, 2018

V1525435312539 , May 4, 2018 :
    please fix basic issues first. Only manual toggle switch is given in 5T where is auto settings for keeping the phone silent at night or for configurable time. without this everything else of a wow phone is waste. I forget to switch off the silent toggle everytime. please upgrade ASAP. I hope that is not happening in 6.