The OnePlus 5T – How 18:9 Screen, Back Fingerprint Scanner and Face Unlock Come Together

1. marcusskyfall
    Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2017

marcusskyfall , Nov 20, 2017 :
    So it wasn't all down to getting a consignment of heavily discounted screens from off the back of a lorry then...? :)

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Nov 20, 2017

dsmonteiro , Nov 20, 2017 :
    It's a play on iPhone's 'S' version. S "plus one" = T.

3. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Nov 20, 2017

Alvie , Nov 20, 2017 :
    It works a bit differently though, the included one is Google's Face Unlock built into Android. It seems that OnePlus is using a proprietary algorithm.

rva and dsmonteiro like this.
  4. Alvie

Alvie , Nov 20, 2017 :
    I haven't seen an in depth analysis of this, but I'm pretty sure a couple of reviewers have tried it but it didn't work.

rva likes this.
  5. kratozzumar
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2017

6. ScorpioPirate
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2017

ScorpioPirate , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Guy's we have to stay very Posetive just now, and wait until you have this new, to play with and then some of you can argument :cool:

7. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 20, 2017

youbi , Nov 20, 2017 :
    @Louis S.

First of all welcome to the community. Its always nice to see more new Oneplus faces around here. :)

Thanks for the nice description. I've always considered myself a supporter of the from FP sensor, the quick unlocking of the phone on a table was a decisive reason for it. But if the face unlock feature works as good as you guys have described it. I guess it could be a nice compromise and a way of keeping the best of both worlds, a nice and modern bezeless design and the fingerprint sensor (with the face unlock to help when you have the phone in places where its hard to reach the FP like a table or a car holder).

I know many will say that they wouldn't mind a front FP sensor by keeping a bigger from bottom bezel. Did you guys try that in some prototypes? It would actually be a funny exercise if you guys shared some pics of how bad it looked. :p :D That way you would make them see the why it was moved to the back. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

8. G_Adel_Ranjbar_cgxW
    Donut Nov 20, 2017

9. stephenboyo
    KitKat Nov 20, 2017

stephenboyo , Nov 20, 2017 :
    That's it! I'm getting the Samsung S8+ for $450. Thanks.

malidan, Salt505, G_plusone and 2 others like this.
  10. Navdeep_Malik
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2017

Navdeep_Malik , Nov 20, 2017 :
    @Louis S. Face unlock on 5T is really impressive so as the screen but....
    1. When you decided to remove the fingerprint scanner to the back why didn't you go for no bezel at the bottom
    2.why did you drop 5T priced same as 5! That really means 5 is abandoned and gives a message/signal never to but simple versions but go for T one.

darius1988 and G_plusone like this.
  11. garryo
    Eclair Nov 20, 2017

garryo , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Whilst Face Unlock looks interesting, it's clear that it's something of a Band Aid for a problem that's been created by moving the fingerprint reader. By definition, you are not guaranteeing that it's a heavyweight security feature to unlock the phone (certainly less secure than using the fingerprint reader). Unfortunately, this may be a significant issue if trying to use the phone in a work context. Industry MDM frameworks (such as VMware AirWatch or MobileIron) often use secure phone unlocking as a key 1st line security measure and often turn on fingerprint reading as a default, essentially bypassing a self admitted insecure technology like Face Unlock. In this case, the problem comes where accessing the fingerprint reader is not possible or impractical (such as when the phone is mounted in a car phone holder). The reasons for moving the reader to the back of the phone are absolutely understood, but I do think that Face Unlock as a technology will not be allowed in most professional environments, and the finger print reader in a less convenient place becomes a more significant usability issue.

sagar.sutar, minlow and steenrabol like this.
  12. Fc København
    Eclair Nov 20, 2017

13. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 20, 2017

youbi , Nov 20, 2017 :
    And what does this thread has to do with your choice for that phone? :confused:

Impulse_CK likes this.
  14. A. Ahdach
    Nov 20, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017

15. Alvie

Alvie , Nov 20, 2017 :
    In my opinion, is better to be symmetrical as it has a more consistent design and also it is somewhere to put your hands when in landscape.

rva and Navdeep_Malik like this.
  16. Alvie

Alvie , Nov 20, 2017 :
    In my opinion, I don't see this as the 5 being abandoned. They share very similar hardware so I'm guessing they will have the same software cycles. It could even prolong the life of the 5.

Navdeep_Malik likes this.
  17. Vidnomenon
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2017

Vidnomenon , Nov 20, 2017 :
    While everyone is talking about the fingerprint scanner moving because of the new screen size, let's not forget the trusty old pair of capacitive buttons that now have no where to go lol.

More seriously though I love the aesthetic of not having android software buttons with the added benefit of all that screen real estate.

Granted, the 5T has a bigger screen but I would love to see an alternative to software buttons make an appearance in the future, like gestures on the iPhone X.

P.S: I'm saying this now so when my 3T is due for a change next year, I'll have a soft landing.

mattam24, rva, Fabritrv and 5 others like this.
  18. agoinfly
    Marshmallow Nov 20, 2017

agoinfly , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Hiya Louis,
    can you explain how this Vivo/Oppo/OnePlus 'Face Wake' feature works? Where's the related sensor hub?

luxuskamel and G_plusone like this.
  19. GaryCoates
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

GaryCoates , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Really nice insight into some of the decisions on this no-doubt excellent phone.

20. GaryCoates
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

GaryCoates , Nov 20, 2017 :
    This is actually a really good point, I think they'll be more of a miss than anything else, and potentially something which could have remained, albeit a little squashed into the black bottom section...

Not sure if Google insist on having all three buttons in a series, which would have made it impossible to just have the back and options button as capacitive still...

kaihp and Vidnomenon like this.