The OnePlus 5T – How 18:9 Screen, Back Fingerprint Scanner and Face Unlock Come Together

1. G_Bla_“MastTheking”_
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

2. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Nov 20, 2017

Serbian Overlord , Nov 20, 2017 :
    The 5T is shaping up to be the true legacy phone that every OnePlus fan expects with each iteration. My thoughts so far:
    OnePlus One - legendary
    OnePlus 2 - failure
    OnePlus X - massive failure
    OnePlus 3 - back to form
    OnePlus 3T - superb
    OnePlus 5 - commercial failure
    OnePlus 5T - shaping up to be the best since the One.

3. script
    Nougat Moderator Nov 20, 2017

script , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Hi Louis,

Welcome, and thanx for the explanation and introduction. I'm looking forward to test it, hopefully soon :)

Cheers, Rüdi

luxuskamel likes this.
  4. stephenboyo
    KitKat Nov 20, 2017

stephenboyo , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Cos it's a much better deal and there are much better deals out there....now.

G_plusone and sfomin like this.
  5. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Nov 20, 2017

BobbyV8_ , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Trusted face can be bypassed. I'm successful

G_plusone likes this.
  6. D JeRRy
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2017

D JeRRy , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Is there any new hardware added for face unlock??
    If not can it be adjusted in other devicesand can you provide it on OP5/3/3T?

G_plusone likes this.
  7. rarog
    Lollipop Senior Moderator Nov 20, 2017

rarog , Nov 20, 2017 :
    People are always unhappy. If the prices rise people complain about them rising. If they stay the same, people for some reason feel that older devices are now worthless.
    IMHO having the same price is the best thing for the customer. My OP5 isn't worse just because an OP5T is now released, it's still the same device as it was yesterday.

darius1988 and ajshanker like this.
  8. Arupravy
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

G_plusone likes this.
  9. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 20, 2017

youbi , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Thanks for showing that I was right, and that indeed doesn't have anything to do with this thread... ;)

stephenboyo likes this.
  10. ajshanker
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2017

ajshanker , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Thanks for the insight into developing the 5T.
    The main thing I love about FF FPS is the ability to unlock the phone in lying down position.

It was a cleaver decision to add a face unlock to bypass the uneasiness caused by a back facing FPS.

Many people say the new face unlock is similar to the google version, but I disagree.
    I have it enabled on my phone, still with an FF fps you only tend to press that while unlocking the phone-( while most of the time your phone had already been unlocked) and you have only used the button to wake up the phone to homescreen.
    also it is less accurate turning itself off after a fee tries and asking you to unlock with fingerprint next time.

While I would definitely like to see it on the One Plus 5 , I think It was necessary on the One Plus 5t for convenience.

11. marinobiagio
    KitKat Nov 20, 2017

12. stephenboyo
    KitKat Nov 20, 2017

stephenboyo , Nov 20, 2017 :
    True! It's the same device with a different screen. People should just learn to be happy but I guess it's the new comers to OP that are taken unaware of the update in flagship specs. they get thrown off balance when a T version is released. There will always be people caught up in this state of affairs because it isn't OPs official policy to refresh it's flagship midway so most newcomers are not going to be aware of a potential T version until after they've purchased the product and settled into this forum. Older users are now aware that they should wait till November before buying an OP product and even if none is released in future you can then decide at that point whether or not to buy the June flagship.

Diogo Costa10 likes this.
  13. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Nov 20, 2017

Alvie , Nov 20, 2017 :
    It's a different algorithm.

14. Arai
    Honeycomb Nov 20, 2017

Arai , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Face unlock will never be as secure as fingerprint, but you can still keep fingerprint as second lock for more secure stuff in the phone, mainly to authorize any transaction and you can decide to lockdown specific app too, if you choose.
    Mostly face unlock is only there for convenience. A bit more secure than just a slide to unlock, but not too much hassle over that either.
    iPhone X decision to scrap fingerprint over face recognition doesn't have the advantage of getting second lock as this solution does.

15. BitterHoney
    Honeycomb Nov 20, 2017

BitterHoney , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Why Fingerprint on back and why not side like Nextbit and Razer. I believe, side placement is the next best place to replace front FP. Rather than moving it back.

16. muhammed mt
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2017

17. Imotep95
    Froyo Nov 20, 2017

Imotep95 , Nov 20, 2017 :
    It took me 5 mins in PS for this small color edit. I think it looks beautifull( i'm an amateur in ps, but you know what i mean).

1511193732781.jpg

Jassijee, Impulse_CK, fdroko and 2 others like this.
  18. pirata_1985
    Nougat Nov 20, 2017

19. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2017

obakesan , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Hi, let's be honest, Oppo R11S was on the cards, you took that as a base and then souped it up to be the OPT. Don't get me wrong, I am sure it's a great device, and I currently have an OP5, I have had an OP phone since the original OP1. So, did you really come up with these decisions, or just retro fitted the story to support your hardware supply?

nameerpv, ajshanker, malidan and 3 others like this.
  20. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Nov 20, 2017

BobbyV8_ , Nov 20, 2017 :
    Will wait till you guys review

G_plusone likes this.