The OnePlus 5T - Let's talk about the headphone jack

1. ademsogutlu Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

ademsogutlu, Sep 14, 2018 :
    hi. its good that you keep it. i want more settings for headphones. in option there is just oneplus and jbl headphones. can you put more brands? when i use my 3.5jack to plug in to my car, the sound is too still. if i try with another phone the sound is loud. with my oneplus5t, i put my car volume to the max, and still it's to low.

2. sabir.sayed Honeycomb Sep 14, 2018

3. inthe128 Cupcake Sep 14, 2018

inthe128, Sep 14, 2018 :
    Good move, I own good quality wired inears and have no desire to use wireless or dongles, Coming to OnePlus from IPhone for a number of reasons, but the big ones where Apples pricing and lack of headphone jack, so impressed the will of the customer can make a difference to a company

G_plusone likes this.
  4. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Sep 14, 2018

dalmia09, Sep 14, 2018 :
    Umm.. did you not read that the next phone is dropping the jack? Or was your post meant to be sarcastic!?

Snessim likes this.
  5. Snessim Cupcake Sep 15, 2018

Snessim, Sep 15, 2018 :
    I was super hyped about getting a 6t with the in-glass fingerprint sensor. Now with the news that OnePlus is ignoring its user polls and ditching the headphone jack it looks like I will be moving away from OnePlus phones entirely whenever other flagships with in-glass sensors and a headphone jack release. This was not a good move, guys...

6. U1511241350029 Cupcake Sep 15, 2018

U1511241350029, Sep 15, 2018 :
    So why did you decide to remove it on the 6T even though just 5 months ago, the users voted 88% in favour of headphone jacks?

akku2, keybladehero, ajwaller and 9 others like this.
  7. NonameSL Eclair Sep 16, 2018

NonameSL, Sep 16, 2018 :
    Ohhhh the bitter irony. Why remove such an important feature as you state from the 6T? Shame.

8. thom666 Froyo Sep 18, 2018

thom666, Sep 18, 2018 :
    That was a reason why I bought oneplus 5T. But now that next oneplus phone won't have headphone jack why still buying it? we all could now buy another brand, oneplus don't care of what we think. Samsung still have 3.5mm jack on their flagship.

9. Snessim Cupcake Sep 18, 2018

Snessim, Sep 18, 2018 :
    thom666:

"That was a reason why I bought oneplus 5T. But now that next oneplus phone won't have headphone jack why still buying it? we all could now buy another brand, oneplus don't care of what we think. Samsung still have 3.5mm jack on their flagship."

It's ironic that the customer base of a brand once known for hardware enthusiasts and flagship-killer value could now consider the most mainstream Android phones a better option. OnePlus f*cked up.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

akku2, justinm_, G__hWRj and 2 others like this.
  10. sparsor.nu Cupcake Sep 18, 2018

sparsor.nu, Sep 18, 2018 :
    No Jack. No sales.
    We moved from Apple when they removed Jack to HTC and then they made the same choise so we went to OnePlus.
    We have since then bought over 10000 units per year and will not choose another supplier unless we are forced to.

Company policy and EU law dictates. phone must be placed in a Holder in the car and company policy stats that we won't spend 200$ on wireless ear buds that last 6months when we can buy ear buds with 3.5 or 2.5mm cable for 50$ with higher quality and better sound. Both USB-C and Jack is needed for safe and best driving on the streets.

No plug no sale. that's it...

On another note.

You know state that suddenly the numbers have changed from 88% to 41%. that's in my opinion poor quality in research. The numbers them self tells you that you have done poor research either the first or last time.
    In any way. Can OnePlus risk to loose 41% of their customer basis.
    We buy these phones for three major reasons.
    1. Jack
    2. Reasonable price
    3. Best battery on market

We don't need a bigger battery since we can charge the phone to 100% in 30minutes. I say smaller battery rather and have the possibility of changing it out by our selfs when it gets to old.

The generally poor quality in BlueTooth is the biggest issue. Loss of signal.
    Poor range.
    Disconnection issues
    Outside disturbances

I my self never uses BlueTooth and will wait until someone finally realize that ear buds should run on WLAN instead of BT so we can connect to any PC/Laptop/Phone/Smart-TV and 5000000 other devices.
    That's something to wish for instead of trying to perfect BT that runs on the same frequency as a million the things that disturbs the range and quality.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

akku2, gargyagotra, justinm_ and 2 others like this.
  11. N_mag Froyo Sep 20, 2018

N_mag, Sep 20, 2018 :
    from the articles I've read so far, it doesn't

DavidoinToledo likes this.
  12. G_Brian_Paniagua_usnK Donut Sep 20, 2018

G_Brian_Paniagua_usnK, Sep 20, 2018 :
    Carl's Twitter polls just asked "Do you like headphone jacks?"

88% 8,047 votes - Oct 25, 2016
    85% 9,589 votes - Oct 4, 2017
    88% 19,374 votes - Mar 13, 2018
    https://twitter.com/getpeid/status/974277638603747328/photo/1

The number 41% being thrown around lately isn't referencing current OnePlus headphone jack users; it refers Carl's interview with Techradar last week, where he said "We found 59% of our community already owned wireless headphones earlier this year - and that was before we launched our Bullets Wireless headphones." The Bullets Wireless were announced in May and launched in June.

I can't find the poll or any reference to one outside the quote in the article stating where Carl/OnePlus got user feedback on this (if anyone finds the poll or thread about it, please share).

The 59% of users (out of an unknown sample size) that already owned wireless headphones could still be using wired ones as well and want to keep the jack.

Just wanted to clear this up. I agree that everything they've said the last two years about the headphone jack seems hollow, and that they did a terrible job assessing or considering the importance of the jack to their users. Maybe because Apple (fanboys/iMessage addicts) and Google (that camera though w/ front facing stereo speakers) seemed to do ok with the transition.
    But you'd think they would have learned their lesson on pulling features from the OP2, "We heard from a lot of users of the One and saw most of our users weren't using NFC." And for a company that has avoided wireless charging for so long because it's so slow compared to Dash Charging, you'd think they'd prioritize audio quality over battery size. "'By removing the jack we've freed up more space, allowing us to put more new technology into the product,' he said. 'One of the big things is something our users have asked us for, improved battery life.'"

Also this...
    "Pei wouldn't be drawn on what the 'new technology' will be"
    ...if this refers to the in-display fingerprint sensor that's most likely slower than their current solution which is touted as being one of the fastest in the industry, than it's in the same boat as wireless charging in my eyes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

eye842 likes this.
  13. JeyGe Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

14. G_Punam_Singh_riJF Cupcake Oct 22, 2018

15. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 24, 2018

justinm_ and macemoneta like this.
  16. justinm_ Cupcake Nov 1, 2018

17. K1515124781801 Eclair Nov 13, 2018

akku2 likes this.
  18. Meet Malkan Cupcake Nov 14, 2018

Meet Malkan, Nov 14, 2018 :
    Why dont you provide an update to the other one plus phones apart from.one plus 6t providing direct support for the USB-tyoe C bullet earphines detection. Often times i forget to enable the USB OTG storage option and end up listening to sound coming from the speaker despite the earphones being connected. One plus please do the needful

19. riffraff81 KitKat Nov 14, 2018

riffraff81, Nov 14, 2018 :
    to be fair(and honest), a fingerprint reader that's a mere fraction of a second slower than the physical reader is worlds different from a wireless charging solution that takes double to even quadruple the time to charge compared to dash.

as far as the headphone jack, oneplus will be aiight. just like Huawei is with the new mate 20 pro that also doesn't have a headphone jack and is getting universal praise all over the internet without a peep about that missing feature.

same as Samsung which is rumored to also be ditching the jack for the S10.

G_Brian_Paniagua_usnK likes this.
  20. G_Brian_Paniagua_usnK Donut Nov 14, 2018

G_Brian_Paniagua_usnK, Nov 14, 2018 :
    You're completely right, that was mostly a rant. As I'm not ready to give up the headphone jack or notification LED I ordered the 6. I was hoping the 6t would be a more subtle update like the last two years, thinking it was better to wait and see what the 6t improves on and not have little bit of buyer's remorse like when I bought the OP3 and the 3t came along with a bigger battery.

My 3 has be great regardless, but its current battery life is the reason I'm upgrading, and none of the phones this year excite me the way the 3 did. To me the 6 is the closest for the price, would have been fun to get it in red though.