The OnePlus 5T - Let's talk about the headphone jack

1. Kamkar Donut Dec 17, 2018

Kamkar, Dec 17, 2018 :
    I bought my first OnePlus phone and now I'm waiting for it.
    It's a 6, because of headphone jack.
    And yes, I have a wireless headphones, but I want to use my wired headphone

2. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Dec 17, 2018

Cheetosdust, Dec 17, 2018 :
    That's cool :)

It's your money and it's your choice. Hope you can get your new phone soon and that you can enjoy it when it arrives. ;)

Kytharsis and Kamkar like this.
  3. Kamkar Donut Dec 17, 2018

Kamkar, Dec 17, 2018 :
    thanks
    I think I'll get it tomorrow.

I must add, Bluetooth headphones are very convenient than wired headphones, but I think it's very soon to replace them.
    my wired headphone has better quality and it's cheaper than my wireless headphone.

4. F1516726954914 Donut Dec 17, 2018

F1516726954914, Dec 17, 2018 :
    I like using BT but while playing games such as PUBG or Fortnite or any other FPS game where sound is important, there is a sound delay and when I hear the sound I am already dead. xd

Kamkar likes this.
  5. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Dec 17, 2018

6. Tolerance Cupcake Jan 19, 2019

Tolerance, Jan 19, 2019 :
    Hi, I wanted to know why it is impossible to find oneplus model accessories that came out a while ago? I have the impression that it was done on purpose for us to buy the new oneplus model. Otherwise I do not understand why the accessories of these models are always out of stock.

7. lutti KitKat Jan 19, 2019

lutti, Jan 19, 2019 :
    They manufacture phones and accessories only about the much they can sell in 6 months it takes them to release the next model. They used to sell OnePlus One even after 3rd release but after that they have changed their ways into this new way of doing it. Old accessories can be found elsewhere if you look for them.

Tolerance likes this.
  8. keybladehero Froyo Jan 21, 2019

9. lutti KitKat Jan 21, 2019

lutti, Jan 21, 2019 :
    Why?

10. keybladehero Froyo Jan 22, 2019

11. lutti KitKat Jan 22, 2019

lutti, Jan 22, 2019 :
    More than 80% of them must be dumb then and need to be ignored.

12. jsm Eclair Jan 22, 2019

jsm, Jan 22, 2019 :
    Bullshit like this should be punished in this community. Maybe -100 Trophy Points?

13. AlouLouky Jelly Bean Jan 22, 2019

AlouLouky, Jan 22, 2019 :
    Yet still you decided to drop the earphone jack on the newer models ignoring the 80% of users and concentrated to use the space for an on screen finger scanner,a useless feature,the back is fine and more convenient. Please reconsider your designs.

The Bilge Rat likes this.
  14. lutti KitKat Jan 22, 2019

lutti, Jan 22, 2019 :
    Stop living in the past and get a pair of bluetooth headphones. And what comes to this community you don't know what you are talking about.

15. lutti KitKat Jan 22, 2019

lutti, Jan 22, 2019 :
    The jack has been replaced by bluetooth. Stop living in the past. The jack is not coming back. The fingerprint scanner in the screen is a really nice feature i would like to have too but since i have 6 i have the jack and no scanner in the screen.

16. ralxtew Gingerbread Feb 3, 2019

ralxtew, Feb 3, 2019 :
    it's about choice and flexibility.
    my note 9 gives me just that; i personally love using my jaybirds whenever i workout, but no bluetooth headset can match the quality of a wired analog set without the need for a stupid dongle.
    which segues into the problem with usb c headphones and the whole mess they are. there's no possible argument anyone can bring up to defend DRM for usb c headphones, unless you're a company.

MarcioReis87 likes this.
  17. lutti KitKat Feb 3, 2019

lutti, Feb 3, 2019 :
    You don't get choice in many other things either. You might want to take a horse ride from your home into your city but you instead take a car and you don't whine or cry about the lack of choice or you might want to take a sailboat of the past to cross a sea but you don't. Things evolve. The bits from your phone are transferred quite nicely via bluetooth into your headphones and you hear exactly what you would if there was a wire connecting them. Having this better way of doing it doesn't need the support of the old. The old is obsolete. Sure you can do the things i mentioned there before but you just don't because it's not sufficient way of doing it today. That's what is happening to the headphone jack. For some reason even on tech forums (such as this was when it started) people for some reasons resist the change. Resist the evolution of things. For what end i will never know (i guess). Choice is good if it is something that's not holding back the future or slowing things down for ...reasons. I don't know why you would like to have choice in matters where you have a best choice and something not as good. Maybe you can tell me something about it?

18. MarcioReis87 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2019

MarcioReis87, Feb 3, 2019 :
    For those owning a phone without a jack but not owning a wireless headphone need to use the dongle (usb-c to headphone jack), those playing games like pubg is a nightmare, forcing you to charge the phone while unable to put in wireless headphones.
    My wired headphones cost me over 170€, no wireless headphones can match the quality of those, even those who cost more than double. And then there's that awful latency, not bothering for some but I'm an audiophile, so yeah...

Another one is, when you do already own a wireless headphones, Bluetooth drains your battery quicker than using wired headphones and you have the hassle of recharging them every single day just so you can use it for the day and charge it again overnight.

Want more arguments? What about OnePlus removing the headphone jack but not giving any water resistance? Apple removed it from the iPhone 7 but in return there was a IP rating at least.

If my next phone doesn't carry a headphone jack, the least I wanna see included in the box is a dongle with 2 ways, charging port next to to a headphone jack so I can play and charge at the same time, since Oneplus uses it's own fast charging techniques.

I could go on and on and list you all the cons of owning a phone not coming with a jack. But it's people like you that makes devs release phones with less and less features.
    More and more phones use now less secure systems like on screen fingerprint readers, 2d face scanning using only a camera instead of actual sensors etc...

What's the next thing, they're going to remove Volume bottons? Or maybe making a phone with one-piece of metal unable to even open the phone for repairs, hell, Apple is trying to do that already by soldering the rear camera to the motherboard and glueing the back cover to the metal frame.
    The next big thing is completely remove the cameras and sell it as accessories to connect to the usb-c port, or maybe put a tiny battery in it and charge it through a solar panel.
    Maybe removing the screen overall and do all our tasks through Google assistance or any other voice assistants like Alexa

19. ralxtew Gingerbread Feb 4, 2019

ralxtew, Feb 4, 2019 :
    don't get me wrong, i'm all in for evolution, especially when something old is replaced by something better. for instance, people bitched about the floppy drives being removed from older macbooks and replaced with disc readers, when that was objectively the way to go.
    the problem here is that neither bluetooth audio (or usb c audio, or about any current tech, can replace the simplicity and convenience of an analog audio jack.
    my point about choice isn't about my own ego, it's having what i need when i need it. i don't need a headphone jack every day, but it's good to have it there when i do.

a floppy disk drive is objectively obsolete, because it's a very dated technology that has no practical use in this era and was swiftly replaced to make up for its absence.
    a headphone jack is far from obsolete, and bluetooth/usb c audio aren't quite there yet. maybe the day will come when the headphone jack is truly obsolete (likely when graphene battery tech goes mainstream and there's no limit in power to push better speakers), but that's day is not today.
    what did you get for your headphone jack on your 6t? a slightly bigger battery and a crummy optical fingerprint sensor? let's be real here, oneplus just wants to push their wireless headphones, this isn't about improvements in tech.
    stop being an apologizer for them, they deserve to be taken the piss out of

20. lutti KitKat Feb 10, 2019

lutti, Feb 10, 2019 :
    It's your choice to play some br games. It's not like phones are designed to cater your gaming habits. And again all you need to do is to get 10€/$ wireless headphones and you are good. You can't really say "what about people who don't have wireless headphones?" You bought a 539€ phone and you can't afford to get 10€ headphones? And you need to tell me about this lag you speak of. I'm interested to know about it. And powering your headphones via the jack drains power all the same. OnePlus gave you a bigger battery with the removal of the jack. Who needs waterproofing anyway? A rating isn't same as getting a new phone if the proofing fails. Sure it's a nice thing to have but you should know OnePlus phones are quite water resistant even without the rating.
    And there is no need to have crazy security on your phone anyway. If you get my phone just try and hack the phone open. I'm quite sure you don't succeed. If you are a professional no security is secure enough. I wouldn't see the benefit of removing the volume button so maybe you can figure that out and ask me again.
    I don't think i missed any of your major points there so please tell me about that lag as it was all that i have never run into.