The OnePlus 5T - Let's talk about the headphone jack

1. lutti KitKat Feb 10, 2019

lutti, Feb 10, 2019 :
    Yes as you said the headphone jack isn't obsolete yet. ...yet. It's going to be and why we are even talking about this is that some people just want the old thing they have gotten used to. I see no problem in using bluetooth to transfer the data. It's the same 0 and 1 that start from your phone and end up in the headphones you have connected. If you have bad quality or something like that it's about your headphones. I have about 10€+ headphones from china that produce as good quality sound as i can get from way more expensive headphones with a jack. I'm sure that the value of the headphones is the same with jack or with wireless. If you are aiming for something studio quality i suggest you don't use a smartphone for it.

And they tried to replace floppy disks with the smaller harder disks and then they tried to replace it with ...what was it called zipdisks? it had like 100 times the capacity but these things aren't compareable since there we had the size limit of disks that mattered the most. zip lost to burnable cds that have mostly now died away. You can see how music industry is whining because of that. It's just easier to have files that you can put anywhere and play what ever wherever and most don't even use that anymore because of spotify and such. Just think about how much better cars are now. Sure they are way harder to repair by your self and even impossible sometimes. You must have heard about those people who whine about this? "I like the old cars because i can repair it my self" yeah and in most cases that's all they do. So headphone jack is just one of those things that are going away even if you don't want it to. Sure it's not dead yet and it might hang on long just because the things i have explained here but it's just something that is going away in the end. You can speed the progress or stand in it's way but you can't stop it. You choose. I think a bigger battery and a fingerprint reader on the screen was a great trade for the jack. I can't see them trading those back for the jack so i suggest you try to adjust your way of thinking.

2. MarcioReis87 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2019

MarcioReis87, Feb 11, 2019 :
    ever heard of Bluetooth conversion? you must be new to the Bluetooth world. I'm an audiophile, deal with it.
    Comparing a cheap 10€ earphones/earbuds ( because I'm sure you can't even get 10€ headphones) is like comparing Caviar to Roe, same thing but makes a world's difference

I got quality headphones that no Bluetooth headphones equals and to make it into your perspective it costs 1/3 of the full 5T launch price in promotion.

Money as you can see is not the issue in here, quality is the issue.
    You're the kind of guy that about anything suits him and you just go for the cheapest because there's no way you're spending 3x the price on the same product that the purpose is the same.

I am the kind of guy, that only looks at the 3x price first and goes down if it ain't worth the price asked for.

3. MarcioReis87 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2019

"I have about 10€+ headphones from china that produce as good quality sound as i can get from way more expensive headphones with a jack"

Christ dude, nevermind I said, you are clueless.
    Just to be sure, where are you from, I'm curious...?

4. MarcioReis87 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 11, 2019

My wife wanted cheap headphones to play project Zomboid Twitch sessions game and watch movies on here computer,

Firstly I bought her the Asus Cerberus headsets for 49 one of the cheapest on the store chose by her. The next day I went to the store again to exchange them of how terrible they sound and the awful Mic quality.
    How can people wear something like this, the pitch are out of the charts, no bass whatsoever, even with a decent equalizer the sound quality is bad because of the hardware limitation, it's simply cheap.

So the next day I exchanged to a supposedly "above average quality according to internet" the LG g430 a week ago for I think 79 or 89, not sure.
    Looking at the reasonable price they were not bad, good bass also but the "7.1 surround adv is simply a marketing trick" clearly a mimic but people enjoy that somehow.

I also wanted to trade then for a Razor headset but sadly my wife made up her mind and wanted to keep those. Oh well...

Well, this is for a person who isn't like me but deserved to have good headphones and not something you put over your ears and say it's the best thing ever.
    Don't compare 10€ headset to a 150-200€ ones that you never used and claim is the same quality.

Videos you see on YouTube are mostly paid videos not offering an honest review.
    Some stores let you try headphones, try the most expensive there is and judge by yourself

5. lutti KitKat Feb 11, 2019

lutti, Feb 11, 2019 :
    I never claimed anything you seem to think. I said they are better than some more expensive ones. No one is saying 10€ is enough and they were most likely closer to 15€(whoa!). But what i did say there is a lot of bad quality stuff for at least below 100€ range and i'm sure there is a lot of stuff that beats 300€ stuff that might even cost less than a 100€. The price isn't the qualifier. You can use the price to say what it probably is but it might or might not be that. What i have is a decent bluetooth headphones for my needs and that's it. What i would get by spending much more money wouldn't be much and by spending a lot more wouldn't begin to be justified. I use them mostly when i work out at the gym and that's just a couple of hours a week at best. What you normally would get for 10-20€ wireless headphones would be less than i have. So what i was saying is that the quality is not about how you transfer your ones and zeros to the speakers up your head. The quality of the speakers and other things are the thing that matter. If you have those things of equal quality the connection doesn't matter.
    I'm also not saying you can get anything from asus at that price or if you can they are super bad quality ones. Asus is a well known brand that has high value at least where i live. Sure it's mostly for gamers and nerds and not for audiophiles who tend to go for stuff from music business instead. Not that they can be compared but such people tend not to deviate from their habits so why bother? Anyway there is some good quality brands that people outside of china have never even heard of that are 10x the value of their cost so something like 15€ spend can give you a product worth 150€ you could go get from your local shop. Not saying this is the case with my headphones but i already said what i said about that. So the 50€ asus gaming headset isn't probably worth it. If i were to go for something like that i would probably triple that to go for something decent. So there's a cheap advice from me. I'm only a musician so i value the quality but i don't pretend hearing any difference on many of the super high priced headphones. I leave that to the audiophiles like you.

6. The Bilge Rat Donut Feb 27, 2019

DrummerBoi and Riskjockey like this.
  7. Riskjockey Donut May 23, 2019

Riskjockey, May 23, 2019 :
    I am pretty sure that you too are disappointed now. also surprised by getting reply after almost two years

8. K1526578012989 Cupcake May 23, 2019

K1526578012989, May 23, 2019 :
    Iam not able to make calls using headset but able hear audios & videos... please do let me know if you have solution for this issue
    Regards,
    Gnana

9. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator May 23, 2019

youbi, May 23, 2019 :
    To be honest not at all nowadays. The truth is that with my op6, after a year of use, I haven't used the jack even once. :sweatsmile:After making the jump to Bluetooth audio haven't really felt the need to use it a single time.

But I do get that the experience may vary from people to people.

10. Riskjockey Donut Jun 1, 2019

Riskjockey, Jun 1, 2019 :
    it really bugs me when I play games specially PUBG. So it forces me to go back to my wired earphones

11. Sorigo Gingerbread Jun 3, 2019

12. F1562670238964 Cupcake Jul 9, 2019

F1562670238964, Jul 9, 2019 :
    I could answer with "you're dumb and should be ignored because of posting shit like this", but it would lead nowhere. Well, maybe I rather should have ignored you

Tell that to the music industry. They still use phone jacks because the quality is better (and I'm pretty sure because the signal is analog). After all, you told us you're a musician in your last reply.

Sure.

"The bits from your phone are transferred quite nicely via bluetooth..."
    You have a limit of data that can be sent via bluetooth (because bluetooth can't send an infinite amount of data in a very short time. Simply impossible). So you can't just use the highest bitrate. Now, the phone jack is analog, meaning no bits. I'm sure the audio quality with it can still be improved, as it has in the last century.
    The sound quality can be similar, but not the same.

"The old is obsolete."
    Show me proof. It will be when the music industry says it is.

"Choice is good if it is something that's not holding back the future"
    There isn't a better way yet, and audiophiles want the best sound quality. I don't see how it holds back the future.

"I don't know why you would like to have choice in matters where you have a best choice and something not as good."
    As there's no proof that bluetooth is better, so this sentence works against you.

"It's not like phones are designed to cater your gaming habits."
    Even 1ms is annoying, more on that later.

"And again all you need to do is to get 10€/$ wireless headphones and you are good."

1. Cheapest wireless headphones on Amazon: 20€ - Cheapest wired ones: 5€
    2. I'm sure we can both tell the difference between some 5€ headphones and studio headphones (which are wired, because of sound quality).

"And you need to tell me about this lag you speak of."
    Man, haven't you ever watched a YouTube video with wireless headphones?
    Process to get the sound to your ears:
    Wireless:
    1. Encode the data into something that can be transferred via bluetooth
    2. Send it
    3. receive it
    4. Decode it
    5. Convert it to an analog signal
    6. send it to the speaker
    Wired:
    1. Convert it to an analog signal
    2. send it to the speaker

Audio processing takes time. It's really annoying when you play guitar and hear the sound with 5ms delay. I had Viper4Windows installed and the lowest delay it had was 1.4ms. You can't watch a video/movie with that. You will notice that the lips aren't syncronized with the tone. Maybe someone thought about that and also delayed the video, but you can't do that for all use cases.

"And powering your headphones via the jack drains power all the same."
    I can't prove this wrong as I don't know about that, but I'm interested in the source.

"Who needs waterproofing anyway?"
    One reason less to remove it.

"And there is no need to have crazy security on your phone anyway."
    Except you can get A LOT of private data just from the phone of a person. You're not saying security is unnecessary, I see that, but we would agree it should be as unhackable as possible (yes, convenience also plays a role, I know).

"I wouldn't see the benefit of removing the volume button"
    Less parts in the phone, resulting in more space to use in the device. You have volume controls on your wireless headphones anyway. (sarcasm, in case someone doesn't get it)

"Yes as you said the headphone jack isn't obsolete yet. ...yet. It's going to be"
    Totally believe you, but I bet it's going to take at least another decade.

"I see no problem in using bluetooth to transfer the data."
    - Another battery you have to charge
    - Sound quality isn't that good
    - Delay (doesn't matter if you only listen to music, but horrible for videos/movies)
    - More expensive - you need a bluetooth chip, a battery and a connector for charging, cables and membranes. Additionally, if you're like Bose, an AUX jack. For wired ones, you need the connector and membranes.
    - Disconnection issues
    - Interference with WiFi signal

"It's the same 0 and 1 that start from your phone and end up in the headphones you have connected."
    If you want to send a high bitrate over bluetooth, it won't work. But you can install a chip that can convert that high bitrate into an analog signal that's sent through the phone jack.

"I have about 10€+ headphones from china that produce as good quality sound as i can get from way more expensive headphones with a jack."
    As you proved in other replies, you're not the person who's able to tell this. Please ask an audiophile before stating this.

"I'm sure that the value of the headphones is the same with jack or with wireless."
    I already told why this isn't possible.

"Just think about how much better cars are now."
    I could talk about that, but it's offtopic.

"I think a bigger battery and a fingerprint reader on the screen was a great trade"
    I remember I was really happy when the fingerprint sensor on the OP3 got slightly faster. I takes a second to recognize the fingerprint. The one on the OP5 needs like 0.1s. I think the fingerprint reader on the back is not as convenient as on the front, and I could argue that you don't need the whole front side to be a screen, but that's another topic.

"so i suggest you try to adjust your way of thinking."
    Now I refer to the very first reply I quoted and tell you the same. There's no reason to be unfriendly to someone who has another opinion. I'm trying my best not to insult you. But over time, you sounded more friendly.

"i'm sure there is a lot of stuff that beats 300€ stuff that might even cost less than a 100€"
    Hmmm... I doubt that. Give me an example.

"You can use the price to say what it probably is but it might or might not be that."
    Ok, I agree.

"What i have is a decent bluetooth headphones for my needs and that's it."
    This depends on the person. And I think a company wants to get a wide range of people to buy their phones.

"The quality of the speakers and other things are the thing that matter. If you have those things of equal quality the connection doesn't matter."
    Well, the bitrate you can transfer matters.

"something like 15€ spend can give you a product worth 150€ you could go get from your local shop. Not saying this is the case with my headphones but i already said what i said about that."
    You basically said that this is the case with your headphones. These are your words: "I have about 10€+ headphones from china that produce as good quality sound as i can get from way more expensive headphones with a jack."

"I'm only a musician"
    I don't know which genre you like, but then you should know why the phone jack is being used. You should even know about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#General_use
    To list a few from the page:
    - Electric guitars: There's nothing electronic in there, only electric
    - Instrument amplifiers
    - Electronic keyboards
    - Electric drums (I'd prefer real drums, miced up, but whatever)

Find a good alternative for that. Yes, in live shows, the signal from an electric guitar is transmitted wireless, but 1. they probably use a different type of connection and 2. They don't use that in a studio.

"but i don't pretend hearing any difference on many of the super high priced headphones."
    At a specific point point of audio quality, everything sounds the same to me too. But we can't tell if audiophiles pretend to hear a difference, or if they actually do. I believe the second one. But I don't have the equipment to test my hearing.

Bintang12 and jibbewillem like this.
  13. lutti KitKat Jul 17, 2019 at 11:13 AM

lutti, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:13 AM :
    It's good for any mp3 that is so high quality that you can't hear the difference over the uncompressed one. That's good enough for a phone.

Don't watch a movie on your phone. That's like a rape of a movie.

That's pretty much all i care to put my time into and what i read that you disagreed with. As said before and as you seemed to agree jack is getting obsolete and even if it's not there yet it's happening. No turning that boat so start adjusting to it. Delaying will only make it harder for you.

youbi likes this.
  14. F1562670238964 Cupcake Jul 19, 2019 at 10:44 PM

F1562670238964, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:44 PM :
    I'd doubt that such mp3s exist, but I'm not sure.
    EDIT: FLACs are made for the best quality, but big in size (3:03 = 22.7mb). mp3s are designed to be small. To achieve that, they get compressed. I'll try it myself and convert a FLAC to mp3 (or search for a better version) on tuesday, if I have time.

It's good enough for mp3s. I don't know if it makes a difference with streaming (I don't have wireless headphones).

I totally agree.
    I mainly thought about YouTube videos, as a lot of people do that. Just wanted to mention it, because it's possible

When there's a solution with better audio quality and the same reliability, it's the better option and I'll go with it. Right now, wired is cheaper and has better audio quality.

Switching is always hard. Like, what should I do with all devices that have microUSB (eg. XBox One controller) when those cables go extinct?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019 at 11:19 PM