The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. Kieranj83
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Kieranj83 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    yea ok. so what they should copy Samsung then ?? either way someone will complain and say they copied this or that there a newish company it's always gonna look that way

2. Aevangelist
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

Aevangelist , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I'm sorry, but I can't help but hope that adopting this abomination of a design trend will result in a commercial failure. It seems as if the regular editions now are the testbed for bad hardware choices. 5 - let's just put the display upside down! 6 - let's put that notch up there, looks dope on the iPhone!

On a more general note regarding copying: Is it really that bad that they copy/adopt the Oppo designs? They are just a smaller company under the same BBK roof after all. Is it really that bad that they lie about it and pretend to have their own innovative designs? That's just marketing.

However, these circumstances don't prevent them from using their brains. On second thought, they really should have realized that having a notch on top while at the same time still having a substantial bottom bezel simply looks like shit due to complete asymmetry.

And now, to make it even more absurd, there might be a software option to hide the notch, which effectively makes the screen smaller just because the majority of people seems to hate the notch. Well guess what, you could just have kept a small top bezel and the majority of people would have been happy. Design trends come and go, but for a comparatively small company like OnePlus with just one phone on the market, blindly following a bad trend could be seriously detrimental in terms of sales and market position.

mr-b and MikhailTheItalian like this.
  3. youbi
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Mar 29, 2018

youbi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I wouldn't go that far. :p Yeah, it may not look great for videos, but at least for browser and such is a perfectly valid solution that just pushes the status bar to the place where all just be a black bar bezel.

And for those that really hate its look, the hiding notch technic that Huawei and LG showed should work great for amoled screens. :sweatsmile:

4. ddaharu
    Froyo Mar 29, 2018

meatandy and f1982 like this.
  5. youbi

youbi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    In what way does this make the screen smaller? if they still use it for the status bar, the end results is mostly the same.

[​IMG]

6. Aevangelist
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

Aevangelist , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Thanks for that photo, I wasn't aware of this solution. This indeed makes it somewhat better. Still, I would always prefer a proper hardware solution in the first place instead of a software tweak.

youbi likes this.
  7. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Mar 29, 2018

Cheetosdust , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I really OnePlus is working on something like that...

... for the OP5 and the 5T ;)

Shivang Joshi and youbi like this.
  8. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

dalmia09 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    “The only phone on the market that has anotch that doesn’t have a chin is the iPhone X,” notes Pei, and that’s because the iPhone’s “chin is on the back of the phone.” At the bottom of each display is a ribbon for connecting it to the device’s logic board, which necessitates at least a thin “chin.” Apple’s exotic solution to that was to use a flexible OLED screen that curves internally and thus pushes the ribbon connection toward the back. Pei explains that this approach makes the phone thicker and, understandably, more expensive. Not even Samsung, which makes Apple’s iPhone X displays, is being so indulgent in its design. So chins are going to remain a feature of Android phone designs for the foreseeable future.
    -The Verge

StanHoffert likes this.
  9. choby
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

choby , Mar 29, 2018 :
    no the notch.....NO!! Why this crazy thing ??
    it's ugly and useless...

10. Sanyatoneplus
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

Sanyatoneplus , Mar 29, 2018 :
    ... we are not bothered on what goes on in the background, do we? we just want it to look good. If they can't achieve it in an acceptable price just drop the idea.... what way has the notch improved the looks, having notch on top and bezel at bottom is so so awkward. Just stick with think bezels on top and bottom like LG v30 and S9 or even like OP5T.

11. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Oneyedmonkey , Mar 29, 2018 :
    OnePlus went from neversettle to you better hope you like what we give you and learn to love it eventually.

12. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2018

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    It's not meant to be usable. It's not meant for content. It's meant for the status bar, which means no status bar below the bezel, meaning more usable and cleaner screen space.

dalmia09 likes this.
  13. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Attached Files:

14. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    You don't seem to understand. Having to have a larger chin bezel than the iPhone X is completely separate to the notch. They are in no way connected. Whether they put a big dumb top bezel, or a smart virtual bezel (notch) they would still HAVE to have a small chin for the screen connector.

15. malidan
    Nougat Mar 29, 2018

malidan , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Not copying Apple would do. Thus far:
    OPX (clone)
    Mute button
    Camera array
    Camera app
    Rear design( curve added )
    Upfront( the notch )
    I'm waiting for OOS to evolve into something like iOS
    Carl did share his vision of OOS some time back going forward and it wasn't stock android.

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  16. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Isn't that what EVERY manufacturer does? I'm not aware of any which designs a phone by committee with all it's customers?

17. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

MikhailTheItalian , Mar 29, 2018 :
    most phones that come with notches now has that feature or setting

f1982 likes this.
  18. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    It will look absolutely fine for videos, whether you have the notch set to be blacked out or not. Because the videos won't go to the sides of the screen anyway, it's too tall. It would be blacked out by default.

dalmia09 and youbi like this.
  19. malidan
    Nougat Mar 29, 2018

malidan , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Like i said away to claim you have more visible screen to body ratio than what is actually usable .
    You can hide or have been able to hide the status bar for years.:rolleyes:

20. youbi

youbi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    It ends up being a quite reasonable solution for those who hate the notch until we find the right tech to completely hide the camera under the screen. :D

I'm sure that the Android P update will bring it. At least the Pixels already got the add notch feature on the preview build. So soon they will hide a remove bezel update for sure. :p :D ;)

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.