The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

MikhailTheItalian , Mar 29, 2018 :
    this is true because the screens aren't getting much bigger. the only phone thus far correct me if I'm wrong to add a notch and increase the screen size is the OPPO R15.

All other manufacturers are sticking to a 5.99 or 6.01 inch panel.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  2. Ripperdave
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2018

Ripperdave , Mar 29, 2018 :
    This is really sad. I don't fault companies for incorporating good ideas from each other Apple and Android have a long history of playing off each other. The notch however was a horrible idea widely criticized. By incorporating it, and giving a long winded bs explanation about it, you come off as if you're out of good ideas completely.

I personally will be not upgrading to the 6, and I doubt I'll purchase another Oneplus device.

I guess Oneplus is now happy to settle for crappy design so long as they don't have to think for themselves ..

#settle

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  3. Q1522222653982
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  4. Dinu Constantin
    Froyo Mar 29, 2018

5. malidan
    Nougat Mar 29, 2018

malidan , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Yep OPPO have increased their size and added a notch for people to hide? Makes sense doesn t it.:tearsofjoy:

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  6. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

did you see the wood grain back tho on the leaked photo

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  7. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Oneyedmonkey , Mar 29, 2018 :
    And yet almost all of the OnePlus Community has been against it and asked them not to do it for a while now. They have a following, not a big enough one not to listen to what the customers would like. Hence the aux port not being removed. When you post a tweet telling your customers to learn to love the new notch and you get bombarded with negative tweets to the point of having to delete the original tweet you know you done f***** up. And yes companies like Apple have lost tons of Customers over the aux port and notch so you can't act as if it doesn't matter what the customer wants.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  8. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2018

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Hope away, but I think you'll be disappointed when it sells like hot cakes.
    OnePlus will be using bulk buying power to get that front panel with oppo and vivo. That's the only way they've been able to get such a good panel at the low price necessary. Not only is that acceptable, it's great for us.
    OnePlus never lie about who they are. They are open about the fact that the two founders came from OPPO to start up this new brand with a new vision. But using the technologies and buying power of the parent/sister companies. They also don't lie about their designs. They do design their own software and hardware. That doesn't mean every component within that hardware is bespoke - that would be ridiculously expensive and unnecessary.
    A phone doesn't have to be symmetrical from top to bottom to look good. Many people who don't like the proposed design are pointing to the Mi Mix2S as the 'sensible' solution, yet by your standard this should make you throw up into your hands immediately with a minimal top bezel but large chin.
    You've answered your own question of course with regard the notch. If you don't like the look, black out the sides. That is literally giving you exactly what you described you want with equal bezel top and bottom, but you're calling it absurd. It's hard to keep track of your desires here.
    But how would doing that give you less screen? The sides of the notch are only there for the status bar, it's your choose whether you want the background to match the screen, or the bezel. The whole point is that it puts the status bar into the bezel to give you MORE usable screen. And a cleaner looking screen at that.
    Putting a 'traditional' bezel up top with no embedded status bar doesn't move anything forward. In fact it would be OnePlus giving up on innovation. They might as well have just kept the 5T another year. If you insist on dumb bezels, go small with Samsung or large with Sony. If you want smart bezels, stick with OnePlus.
    Keeping up with technology is the only way a company like OnePlus can keep their business growing, and that's exactly what the OP6 is designed to do.

dm146 and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  9. Dinu Constantin
    Froyo Mar 29, 2018

Dinu Constantin , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Maybe is just a temporary cover and is not the final version

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  10. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

There's always some trend in the smartphone industry. Megapixel wars, Screen Size wars, Processor Speed wars, RAM wars and even storage. Now it's all about the screen to body ratio

Ravi BINAVAT and malidan like this.
  11. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

it would be nice to see it as a final. that grey was lovely

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  12. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 29, 2018

13. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    It's a very vocal minority who are getting their knickers in a twist about a better technology. The majority will not only tolerate it, but love it. Secondly, all this shouting happened once the OP6 design will have been finalised. Even if OnePlus were concerned about this minority, it's too late to do anything about it. Finally, if the OP6 sells well like I predict it will, then their decision will have been vindicated.
    The deletion of the tweet is not proof they got anything wrong. It's proof there of what we already know, that there is a loud and angry minority, who think they are the majority, who are expressing this overblown rage all over this forum, and naturally on twitter.
    Apple didn't lose any customers over the notch. They gained a ton including from the android world who wanted that full screen look, and got them to pay £1000 for the privilege. Apple didn't care about any sales losses when they lost the 3.5mm jack, because they knew they would get them back eventually as others did the same, but mostly what they wanted was higher revenue from additional airpods sales. They aren't stupid.

dm146, Ravi BINAVAT and dalmia09 like this.
  14. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Surely giving people the option is better than somehow making the screen blacked out without any way of changing it? Don't forget that in the same way there is a minority of people who hate the notch, there are also a minority who love it and want to show it off. It's the majority in the middle who want the innovation without the look, who need a black-out option.

15. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    indeed. #settle for a 2017 design with dumb bezels, whilst the rest of us are over here pushing #neversettle with our 2018 design, with smart bezels.

Ravi BINAVAT and dalmia09 like this.
  16. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

I honestly prefer the bezel over the overly curved screen corners that Samsung is pushing out these days.

Ravi BINAVAT and dalmia09 like this.
  17. malidan
    Nougat Mar 29, 2018

malidan , Mar 29, 2018 :
    As I said earlier the facility to hide the status bar has been around for years.
    LG and Huawei do have a nice trick. But for LG the Notch is pointless when they already had a better solution, the second screen
    Their boffins could have done so much more with that and further enhanced something that was unique.

TheSpoken and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  18. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

You do realize that phones without the notch can still have a better Screen to body ratio right??? I mean why have a ugly F****** notch in the top of your screen when you can do what people actually want.

Attached Files:

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. KartikChadaar
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

No, but since Carl Pei said we need to learn to love the notch we have no choice now.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.