The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2018

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    The majority. They just don't realise it yet.

Ravi BINAVAT and dalmia09 like this.
  2. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

dalmia09 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    What if you could do this? dims.gif Would your opinion be the same??

3. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I haven't a clue what you're saying. The image you showed had 3 different solutions, all basically the same screen/body ratio, all 3 with compromises. What people want is a high screen/body ratio with small bezels and a large usable space on their screen. The notch OP6 will have achieves that the best. Having the status bar either side of the notch match the screen or being black to match the bezel is optional, and all down to personal preference.

dm146 and Ravi BINAVAT like this.
  4. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Oneyedmonkey , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Yes because it defeats the purpose of not having the screen that way in the first place. It looks freaking ridiculous bezels.png

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  5. sgurjeet99
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

sgurjeet99 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Sarcasm man. What if Apple did it just to make all the brands go the wrong way and they already have a notchless design? [e]1f602[/e] it's Apple. Chinese brands will follow.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  6. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-29-09-04-18.jpg SmartSelectImage_2018-03-29-09-04-57.jpg SmartSelectImage_2018-03-29-09-05-16.jpg SmartSelectImage_2018-03-29-09-06-10.jpg SmartSelectImage_2018-03-29-09-06-49.jpg
    Boy I sure am glad that you told me the majority of people want this "feature" I was starting to believe all of these hundreds of polls and comments I was starting to see and read. Well Thankfully you changed my mind!

Ravi BINAVAT and HTK like this.
  7. KartikChadaar
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

KartikChadaar , Mar 29, 2018 :
    So you are saying, make a tiresome hardware design change and then customise software to make android work with a notch and finally on top of that make another software alteration to hide it!
    Can you see how much resource and time is spent on a silly and stupid design just to follow suit ?
    Also it's not about hiding or not hiding it. The notch is about bringing inferior and critized stuff to good phones when there is no need and CLEARLY no fan needs it.
    #settleddown

Ravi BINAVAT and Oneyedmonkey like this.
  8. CrownedSusanoo
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

CrownedSusanoo , Mar 29, 2018 :
    "The Verge article adds that “Pei believes that OnePlus’ notch is different, implemented with more thought and care."

How exactly is it different? Isn't there an Oppo device with the same notch in both looks and style? Looks roughly the same to me. Secondly, Yes. I'm against the whole 'Notch' idea myself as it can be pretty much as ugly as it will be a nuisance having to view a photo or video with that danged cutout at the top. Needless to say, I would have opted for a slight decrease in screen at the top (Not bottom) to have the LED Notifications, camera and speaker located exactly as is with the past Oneplus devices. Or even have the top frame chipped a bit to incorporate them. In any regards, Oneplus knows what they're doing, I guess. Despite the atrocity that will be the notch on the Oneplus 6. I sure will be purchasing the 6T. That's a given.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  9. cezarmed2
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

cezarmed2 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    He said " Learn to love the Notch” regarding the OP6.

I think Pei will learn to get rid of the Notch with the 6T, after he sees the sales of the OP6.

Personally, I don't like notches, curved sides or glass backs. I guess this is the last OP for me.

10. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    You're welcome.
    Except what I said was the majority want what the feature achieves. And my belief is that once they realise that, they will not only tolerate but love this feature.

11. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    So many people saying that sales are going to drop. So many people going to be utterly confused when it sells like hot-cakes.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  12. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Implementation of the notch is 100% software. The difference therefore is 100% software which oppo hasn't got. Therefore how the panel physically looks has no impact on whether oneplus has implemented it with thought and consideration.

13. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Ravi BINAVAT and cezarmed2 like this.
  14. cezarmed2
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

cezarmed2 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    We shall see then.

Btw, they said they were trying to give the user as much screen as they could, but instead of trying to minimize the bottom bezel, they carved a little bit of the top one.

A lazy choice. It is much harder to minimize the bottom bezzel as well.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  15. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

OP 6 Is going to have 90% ratio. So, according to your logic, it's the best of the bunch because of the notch.

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  16. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Yeah besides the point of still having a ugly notch right on the top of your screen...[​IMG]

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  17. dalmia09
    Jelly Bean Mar 29, 2018

Which you can't even see..
    Smh

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  18. ScareYa

ScareYa , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Good plan. Sadly the result looks like the admission of inability. Some would use another word though...

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  19. Oneyedmonkey
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

The Xiaomi mi mix 2 also has a screen to body ratio around 91 percent and still no useless notch
    Crazy how its possible to acquire these kinds of Body ratio to screen without having to sacrifice screen real estate right in the middle of your screen where your notification bar goes....

Ravi BINAVAT likes this.
  20. f1982

f1982 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I believe what they are saying, is to put in an innovative hardware design with cleverly customised software to take maximum advantage of that innovation. Then offer an aesthetic option in the settings to cater for different users tastes, to make what is a great innovation of the status bar embedded within the top bezel most importantly work well but also look good.
    It's the most innovative feature of the physical design of a phone right now, and worth whatever R&D time has been spent getting it to work seamlessly. Fans are asking (by voting with their bank accounts) for full screen phones. This is a great innovation to achieve that.
    It appears your personal dislike of one minor aspect of the look of this innovation, which is optional, has clouded your ability to see or recognise all the benefits it brings and takes phone design forward.
    #settledownbeforeyouhavearageseizure