The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. E1513091705018
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  2. E1513091705018
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  3. the_reckoner
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2018

the_reckoner , Mar 30, 2018 :
    In all this notch business everyone is forgetting the camera. Will it have as poor a camera as the OP5T? I wonder

Oneyedmonkey, dalmia09 and gmaria1987 like this.
  4. E1513091705018
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

5. E1513091705018
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

6. cezarmed2
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

cezarmed2 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    It's half of an innovation. It's a solution of compromise.

7. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Half an innovation? Whats the difference between an innovation and half an innovation?
    What's the compromise?
    Every single decision on any feature has some sort of compromise.
    Bigger screen....harder to hold.
    Bigger battery....thicker handset.
    Headphone jack...more expensive to waterproof.
    But what's the major downside of pushing the status bar off the screen and into the top bezel?

8. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    I've been discussing this issue on this forum a few days now. There is a common theme.

A comment of either 'dont copy the iPhoneX' or 'dont follow apple'
    Then followed by anger, then a warning that Oneplus is dead, the OP6 will fail.
    Then followed, if questioned on this view with more anger without explanation other than more mentions of 'stupid design' 'copying' 'following' without much rationale behind it.

It appears that for many, the fact that this technology was being planned by manufacturers before the iPhone X was announced is irrelevant, because apple made it 'their' feature. People seem convinced that this makes the feature automatically bad, but more specifically any other phone also using this solution is just 'copying a design because they want to look like Apple'.
    It's not.

This is a technological solution, not a design for design sake. This is not copying or following apple. This is one of 3 main possible solutions to get the full screen phone customers want, and the one with the LEAST amount of compromise.

This is not copying.
    This is not following.
    This gives you something and takes nothing.
    This is JUST about embedding the status bar in the top bezel, cleaning up the screen and giving you MORE usable screen for content.
    Whether you want that status bar to have a black background or one matching the rest of the screen is personal preference, and UP TO YOU. If you don't want to see the cut outs into the bezel, you don't have to, it can look like a 'normal' straight bezel!

In short, I believe 95% of the anger and rage is misplaced. Its anger at something that doesn't exist, and problems that aren't there.
    You'd think OnePlus was suggesting putting a 500mAh battery and an LCD screen with the reaction we've seen.
    An embedded status bar in the top bezel is a GOOD thing. It's a step forward.

dm146, Dheyl and dalmia09 like this.
  9. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    See, this is the thing...you aren't actually discussing the issue, you're just reacting with gifs now. If anything, that suggests you have nothing to say that's relevant but can't bring yourself to accept any of my points.
    Engage with the conversation. Make a counter argument.
    I'm open to having my mind changed, but likewise if I believe you're wrong i'll explain why.

dalmia09 likes this.
  10. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Well, absolutely yes. Moving the status bar which otherwise takes up the whole top of your screen and embedding it in the top bezel, in otherwise unused space, is one of the biggest innovations in screens since the introduction of AMOLED.
    Where or more specifically when would you had preferred we stopped developing screens? 2016? 2013? At what point did they get too good?

11. G_anas_vt_eGdK
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

12. izzykasha
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2018

izzykasha , Mar 30, 2018 :
    I didn't think philosophers copied others work...

badumtisch

13. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    I can't believe here, in the android arena, people are falling for the Apple marketing message again that they 'invented' something they didn't, to the point where android people are now accusing phone manufacturers of 'copying' something from them. It would be like accusing Samsung of 'copying' HTC because their phone has a bluetooth antenna.
    I thought we knew better than that.

Dheyl and dalmia09 like this.
  14. izzykasha
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2018

f1982

I can't believe here, in the android arena, people are falling for the Apple marketing message again that they 'invented' something they didn't, to the people where people are now accusing phone manufacturers of 'copying' something. It would be like accusing Samsung of 'copying' HTC because their phone has a bluetooth antenna.​

what does this reply have to do with my response to @Cheetosdust ?

you do know reply means reply to what someone is saying and not just rant away lol

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  15. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 30, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 30, 2018 :
    He just seems to be trying to get some attention

Oneyedmonkey and izzykasha like this.
  16. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Err..it was a direct reply to your comment suggesting OnePlus "copied others work"? I feel like i'm missing something?

17. izzykasha
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2018

I was talking about philosophers ffs what are u smoking, direct reply to cheetodust not to you at all unless you are a philosopher and can offer some insight lol

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  18. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    What you said- "I didn't think philosophers copied others work...". you were talking about copying, not philosophers. Unless it was by pure coincidence that you chose to come to this forum at random, and place a random statement in a random thread about a random topic, as a reply to a completely randomly chosen comment, and it just happened to be about copying? Strange that.

It's like saying 'I don't like tigers' and then trying to argue you were not talking about tigers, in a thread discussing tigers.

19. izzykasha
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2018

are u cheetodust?

no so butt out lol

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  20. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    no problem tiger ;)