The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. kenchinito
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

kenchinito , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Not even Apple could pull off the notch and somehow all these chinese (and koreans) manufacturers think they are going to make it work?

2. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

iNtEnSePL , Apr 3, 2018 :
    MSFT a phone manufacturer? I thought they packed their toys and left already ;) That is why I switched from Lumia 920 to OP3T. Microsoft no longer makes phones, no longer makes Mobile Windows. THEY ARE OUT OF THE GAME.

Until Panos Panay finds a new kind of device to build, Microsoft is gone from this market.

meatandy likes this.
  3. rwmchan
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

4. rwmchan
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

rwmchan , Apr 3, 2018 :
    i'm more concern on whether the notch can be hidden by software setting.

5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 3, 2018

Cheetosdust , Apr 3, 2018 :
    I think you'll be able to do that.

meatandy likes this.
  6. Sixie
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

Sixie , Apr 3, 2018 :
    im not sold onto the whole NOTCH idea.... sure it was an unused space before (as in the notch used to be just the sensors + bezel) and they removed the bezel but kept the sensors which is now translated as "The Notch"

it would be stupid of Oneplus to not include a software removal of the notch (by creating a virtual black bar that will act as a bezel).

I dont think this will ruin peoples Movie experience on the phone... I mean, you watch the movie, it will just have black bars on the sides which aligns (and hides) the notch, you want true fullscreen? well.. then thats your choice, but why crop partial of the frame?

then again, this Notch will also translate to MORE COST for manufacturing the phone so Oneplus 6 will just be even more expensive as OP5T.

with that said, I will stick with my OP5T, I doubt I will even get this phone, the Notch (as my personal taste) discourages me from even thinking about the phone and getting it. I would have rather see OnePlus innovates on downsizing the top bezel more to its limits (like Galaxy S8/S9)

7. Funk Wizard
    Moderator Moderator Apr 3, 2018

8. pratik_chauhan
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

pratik_chauhan , Apr 3, 2018 :
    OnePlus 6 is all set to launch sometime later this quarter and it seems the Chinese phone maker can't wait until the announcement. Last week, OnePlus Co-Founder Carl Peihad revealed and, subsequently, CEO Pete Lau justified the presence of a notch on top of the upcoming flagship's display. In its latest teaser and forum section, the company has officially confirmed the "6" moniker for its next smartphone. Additionally, the OnePlus 6 smartphone has also been spotted on a Wi-Fi certification website with model number A6003.

In a super short video posted on its Twitter account on Monday night, OnePlus revealed that OnePlus 6 would be the name of its next flagship. Captioned "6et ready", the video shows blazing fast text that reads "The speed you need" - followed by a blink-and-a-miss 6 - suggesting the presence of premium specifications, which includes the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC. Most of the replies to the video, however, are around the front-facing notch that Pei revealed would be part of the OnePlus 6's design last week. Additionally, the official OnePlus 6 forum section has gone live.

Separately, the phone has also been listed on a Wi-Fi certification website, first spotted by Twitter tipster Roland Quandt. The listing, dated April 2, contains certain specifications of the OnePlus 6. According to the website, the flagship will be powered by Android 8.1.0 Oreo out-of-the-box, will come with dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11ac, and get Qualcomm's latest WCN3990 Wi-Fi modem, further cementing the use of the Snapdragon 845 SoC.

To recall, in a recent leak, pricing details of the OnePlus 6 had been outed. The 64GB variant is expected to start at CNY 3,299 (roughly Rs. 34,200), the 128GB variant might get a price tag of CNY 3,799 (roughly Rs. 39,300), while the 256GB model is said to be available at CNY 4,399 (roughly Rs. 45,600).

6et ready! pic.twitter.com/bmvI75xphm

[​IMG] oneplus_notch.1522092792[1].jpg oneplus_notch.1522092792[1].jpg oneplus_notch.1522092792[1].jpg oneplus_notch.1522092792[1].jpg

9. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

10. Luis Sismeiro
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

11. TurboBot
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

TurboBot , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Just my 2 cents: all of this "OnePlus, Oppo, and the whole BBK company copying Apple" hoopla seems to be quite overblown. Not only was the notch obviously a thing before the iPhone X popularized it (Essential Phone, Sharp Aquos S2 series, etc.), but Oppo also patented 12 different types of smartphone display notches earlier than any of these notched phones were released; patents granted January 9, 2017. Link to website: http://www.gizguide.com/2018/03/oppo-notch-patents.html?m=1
    Anyway, that said, the notches on the OnePlus 6/Oppo R15/Vivo X21 are far less obtrusive than on the iPX, since they are seemingly about half the size of the iPX's notch, if not smaller, and are more similar to the notches on the newly-announced Huawei P20 series, therefore still allowing adequate notification space and function given proper optimization. It's also because of this wide variance in notch size between Huawei's and the BBK corporation's (OP, Oppo, Vivo) offerings compared to what Apple has that allow all three to implement notches like this without patent infringement issues.

Furthermore, OnePlus could have opted for a lack of a top bezel, à la Xiaomi Mi Mix 2/2s, but this creates further inconvenience as 1. The front facing camera, proximity and ambient light sensors, and LED notification light all have to get crammed at the already crowded bottom of the smartphone, which already has space being taken up by a speaker unit, charging port, headphone jack, microphones, and more; 2. You've gotta turn your phone upside down for a decent selfie, if the camera app even allows the user to do that; and 3. There's now less internal room for an earpiece/top speaker in the phone, as well as the display driver ribbon cable at the bottom.

From this I can segway into my next point: the chin, as slight as it may be, still has to exist because of said display driver ribbon cable having to exist at the bottom of the phone, at least for an OLED...and mounting an OLED display upside down causes the infamous OP5 jelly effect due to opposite pixel refresh direction. Even though I, personally, would prefer simply a small bezel instead of the notch, it's undeniable that the screen on the device is bigger with the notch, especially given how thankfully small the notch here is. So, as it stands right now, whether I love it or hate it, the notch/microscopic chin combo, or microscopic bezel combo on the GS9's, is the closest we're gonna get to "all screen front" we're gonna get right now

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

dm146, meatandy and iNtEnSePL like this.
  12. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

iNtEnSePL , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Thank you for the post, although this sadly won't make a blind man see ;) if you know what I mean.

TurboBot, dm146 and meatandy like this.
  13. CrownedSusanoo
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

CrownedSusanoo , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Ok, now i completely understand, then. Even used my Op3 for a physical representation of it but it makes sense to me to just move the bezel up a bit completely. But what's being done is pretty fair. So, no more arguments over here. :3

14. Tapan Kumar
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

Tapan Kumar , Apr 3, 2018 :
    it's confirmed that OnePlus 6 will ship with a notch. just give users the option to disable it if they want to. so that it can be replaced with black bars, so that it won't be an eyesore...

L30innit likes this.
  15. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2018

16. Tapan Kumar
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

Tapan Kumar , Apr 3, 2018 :
    that's the problem. this move will make many users to move away from OnePlus. they copied OnePlus 3 back from iPhone 6s, OnePlus 5 back from iPhone 7 and now op6 from iPhone x. the problem is people didn't like it on iPhone x and now I don't think they will on the op6[e]1f614[/e]

17. Tapan Kumar
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

18. jvidia
    Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

jvidia , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Yep, one here!
    Currently a happy owner of a 5T, aka "last phone from OP I'll ever buy"!

After OP joked with the iPhone X notch and now they go for it??? lol
    What a poor vision.

Tapan Kumar and MiszterSoul like this.
  19. Houjus43
    Eclair Apr 3, 2018

Houjus43 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    The hate about the notch

I don't understand the hate. it's actually cutting on the notification bar to put it higher while keeping a good position for the speaker and the camera.

if you can have it it's better than having less screen...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018

20. Houjus43
    Eclair Apr 3, 2018

meatandy likes this.