The OnePlus 6 will have a Notch. Here’s the first official image and the explanation

1. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 7, 2018

mojoyoyo77 , Apr 7, 2018 :
    Fused thread

meatandy likes this.
  2. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Apr 7, 2018

3. CrownedSusanoo
    Honeycomb Apr 7, 2018

CrownedSusanoo , Apr 7, 2018 :
    Hates it at first. Love it now.

meatandy and f1982 like this.
  4. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 7, 2018

dm146 , Apr 7, 2018 :
    I am among those who will love the notch. I am getting a little tired of the ranting and raving about a non-issue.

meatandy, Hydra Bob and f1982 like this.
  5. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2018

dm146 , Apr 8, 2018 :
    It is good to see some reasoned common sense on this list. There is nothing wrong with the notch and I am happy with it. I can't wait to get my hand on the new phone.

The world will not end because the new phone will have a feature you do not like. We don't all value all features to the same extent. I could not care less about the best camera, but I am really keen on the fastest phone. That does not mean that my approach is right, or even rational. It is just a preference. Because I buy a phone with my preferred feature does not mean it will be a great success, and because you dislike a feature does not mean that a phone that has that feature must fail.

6. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2018

dm146 , Apr 8, 2018 :
    I would be unhappy if they ditched the notch.

f1982 and meatandy like this.
  7. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2018

dm146 , Apr 8, 2018 :
    Thank you!

f1982, meatandy and kevinplus2 like this.
  8. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2018

dm146 , Apr 8, 2018 :
    Please!!! BBK Electronics (OnePlus' parent company) had patents for the notch before any of the others.

f1982 and meatandy like this.
  9. haimgreenberg
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2018

haimgreenberg , Apr 8, 2018 :
    what chin u guys talking about ?

10. Versed
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2018

Versed , Apr 9, 2018 :
    Saurav, I've said this is a previous post in another thread. If there's a reason for it on a near bezeless phone, and it contains needed features that's one thing. But to do this as a trend, it's upsured.

11. Versed
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2018

Versed , Apr 9, 2018 :
    Probably, but the Essential was the first phone to introduce it, and it's far smaller then the iPhone X. Really don't notice it anymore. And if the 6 is killer phone, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

12. X-Nemesis
    Froyo Apr 9, 2018

X-Nemesis , Apr 9, 2018 :
    So with the Iphone the notch is balanced out by removing the bottom chin.

Is One+ removing the bottom chin and thereby using the notch for the purpose that the company they're mimicking, used it for? To increase the screen real estate downward, and remove the chin?

If not, why even have a notch? Why not use Samsungs slim bezel approach instead?

13. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 9, 2018

Cheetosdust , Apr 9, 2018 :
    Just to check the pulse of the thread:

How many start hating the notch and now are starting to see it with new eyes? ;)

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  14. izzykasha
    Lollipop Apr 9, 2018

izzykasha , Apr 9, 2018 :
    1523259497815.jpg
    and if Steve Jobs had been alive and the notch never existed then Carl wouldn't have copied the notch

John j and Shivang Joshi like this.
  15. izzykasha
    Lollipop Apr 9, 2018

izzykasha , Apr 9, 2018 :
    Still think there were better solutions bit more bezel for me personally it looks a sleeker design in my eyes

still prefer the no notch approach with a bit more bezel

1523259597886.jpg

John j, Shivang Joshi and Cheetosdust like this.
  16. Amar Sharma
    Eclair Apr 9, 2018

Amar Sharma , Apr 9, 2018 :
    Notch,

The most discussed feature of Oneplus 6 but ideally a genuine and natural improvement in Phone design.
    Let me ask you guys, have you seen the pic shared by Oneplus CEO which shows the hyped notch on Oneplus 6??
    If you have then have a look at your current phone in hand. Compare the area of screen that oneplus 6 has a notch to your current phone. You will notice that yes that is a redundant area which is not used for anything even in you current device. Notifications and status are either on left or right. Thus proving the fact that Oneplus is not taking away any detail that you use to watch on your screen.

Now coming to application support, Android P has already enabled developers to make their applications compatible with notch. I think all the major applications will support notch right from the launch of Oneplus 6 and the other will follow with updates.

Video and gaming experience will get hampered?? Most of the videos and games as it is do not support 18:9 aspect. Hence that notch will turn into a black bar when you are watching videos or playing games.

Why is Oneplus 6 copying Iphone X??I think smartphones in this era are rarely distinguishable. IOS which was simple initially has become complex and Android which seemed to complex initially has shed the extra bloat and become simple to you. Good phones are becoming cheap and cheap phones are becoming good. Its just a matter of time that a company is able to roll out a feature in its flagship. Remember Pixel ridiculed headphone jack removal and then implemented in Pixel 2. Its not incorrect to adapt (not copy) what is good from others into yourself. Its true for us humans as well as any product. Oneplus 6 has adapted what Iphone X first did and has done it even better:)

I think my above points do cover all the concerns/apprehensions that one might have for our very own next flagship killer.

If you are still not convinced and dont want that notch for God sake the company is giving you option to hide it .
    I am excited for Oneplus 6, share your thoughts

kevinplus2 and Muraliworld like this.
  17. Shivang Joshi

Shivang Joshi , Apr 9, 2018 :
    I hated that design since the beginning.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  18. Cheetosdust

Heh, true OG. :)

Do you think your opinion will change when the videos and pics of the phone start appearing on the interwebs? ;)

19. Shivang Joshi

Shivang Joshi , Apr 9, 2018 :
    It might. Also, if I ever get a device with a notch, I would just turn on the option to hide the notch[e]270c[/e]️

Cheetosdust likes this.
  20. Cheetosdust

Yeah, let's see how the phone looks there.

I also think a lot of people will be surprised by its back - me included (or at least that's what I'm hoping). ;)