The OnePlus 6T T-Mobile Variant - Software FAQs

1. Kameron S Administrator Staff Member Moderator Dec 4, 2018

Kameron S, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Hi everyone,

We’re back with another Frequently Asked Questions thread! This time, we’ll focus on the questions you might have about the software on the T-Mobile’s OnePlus 6T. As before, you’ll find a list of several questions that have been posted on the past few days on this community and the answers to them. Still, if your question is still unanswered, please leave it in a post below.
    • Question: Will the OnePlus 6Ts available through T-Mobile receive software updates at the same time as the Global versions?

• Answer: OnePlus and T-Mobile are partnering to bring all the great future feature enhancements and fixes to both sets of devices in a timely manner as possible. Due to the additional level of certification required by T-Mobile on all software releases, there may be a slight offset but we are working diligently to minimize this period in all instances.

• Question: Will the OnePlus 6Ts purchased at T-Mobile be eligible for the Beta Program?

• Answer: T-Mobile OnePlus 6Ts will not be eligible for the Beta Program.
    • Question: Do the OnePlus 6T’s bought from T-Mobile have any kind of T-Mobile branding on them?

• Answer: The phone but does come with a T-Mobile boot animation, T-Mobile sounds and two T-Mobile pre-installed apps.

• Question: Do the OnePlus 6T’s bought from T-Mobile have an unlockable bootloader?

• Answer: Any OnePlus 6T bought through T-Mobile is bootloader locked to them until the device is paid in full and utilized on their service for 40 continuous days.

• Question: Are the T-Mobile OnePlus 6T’s locked to the carrier?
    • Answer: Yes, but once the device is fully purchased a user can request the device to be unlocked domestically and internationally.

• Question: How will updates be handled for the T-Mobile variant? Will there be a delay due to carrier authentication?

• Answer: OnePlus and T-Mobile are partnering to bring all the great future feature enhancements and fixes to both sets of devices in as timely manner as possible. Due to the additional level of certification required by T-Mobile on all software releases, there may be a slight offset, but we are working diligently to minimize this period in all instances.

• Question: When will Smart Boost and Quick Actions be available for T-Mobile’s OnePlus 6T?

• Answer: Answer needed.

Jammin619, Vgm94, buntycubal and 2 others like this.
  2. SirWelph Eclair Dec 12, 2018

Afaaron and narceoneplus2 like this.
  3. Dad0507 Eclair Dec 13, 2018

narceoneplus2 likes this.
  4. narceoneplus2 Honeycomb Dec 13, 2018

5. Dad0507 Eclair Dec 13, 2018

6. SirWelph Eclair Dec 14, 2018

7. dachii Cupcake Jan 1, 2019

dachii, Jan 1, 2019 :
    Hello OnePlus Community, First time poster here. I have a few questions and if possible looking for solutions. As an owner of a T-Mobile 6T I know that with the T-Mobile version of the device we do not get the most current updates and that I need to flash the international version of OOS to my device to recieve these updates. So my question is how do I this? I am on an installment plan so do I need to get the phone GSM unlocked for a local Flash? Does my device need to be rooted/ have bootloader? any replies will be appreciated, Thank you!

8. meatandy Nougat Jan 1, 2019

meatandy, Jan 1, 2019 :
    Read some of the Q&A above.

DSkillsLA likes this.
  9. scotty137 US Brand Ambassador Jan 9, 2019

scotty137, Jan 9, 2019 :
    Hi @dachii! Glad you're here! In response to your question, due to the bootloader and firmware being customized for the T-Mobile phone, any software updates have to be verified by the T-Mobile engineers first before they are rolled out to the devices so there will be be a slight delay in receiving updates. That does not mean that your device will not receive them, just that there will be a delay. If you would still like to root your device, you will need to have T-Mobile unlock it by making sure it is paid in full and it has been used on T-Mobile for 40 consecutive days. Afterwards, there are all sorts of tutorials and videos on how to root and flash a different OS to your phone. I will advise you though that doing so can potentially brick your device so it's best to have a bit of experience in that area if you want to do it.

Jammin619 likes this.
  10. soulpurge3702 Froyo Jan 21, 2019

soulpurge3702, Jan 21, 2019 :
    it is possible to get on the unlocked rom and beta builds on T-Mobile variant. just need to use the convert tool found on XDA. no bootloader unlock or sim unlock needed.
    on current beta as I type on a T-Mobile variant locked bootloader and locked sim.

11. N1549046034911 Cupcake Mar 14, 2019

N1549046034911, Mar 14, 2019 :
    I wouldn't have bought the 6t if I knew the TMobile variant was going to take a backseat to the international version. Verry disappointed. I switched from Samsung because I thought I'd be getting faster updates, but it looks like I got screwed again. pixel it is from now on. too bad, OnePlus makes an OK phone. nothing more

12. Ty_Quan Gingerbread Mar 17, 2019

Ty_Quan, Mar 17, 2019 :
    Can anyone confirm that the RCS is working. Or can someone confirm that it's not working at all..... cause it doesn't seem to he working for me. But I do notice in the contacts app if whoever I'm gonna be messaging it's supported the text icon by their name is green instead of the regular color white. (Same for video calling)

13. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb May 17, 2019

14. Jammin619 Froyo May 20, 2019

Jammin619, May 20, 2019 :
    it seems to be working for me for the individuals that allow this feature. A lot of people I know disable this feature so you do not see if they have read your messages .