The OnePlus 7 Pro is unfortunately not waterproof

1. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Queenmallory , Jun 8, 2019 :
    Hello everyone,

I ate at the restaurant tonight with friends for my 40th birthday and to the left of our table, there was a small basin the depth of one hand (about 15 cm). I take my smartphone, it escapes me from my hand, bounces on the seat and falls in this basin. Time to dive my hand and searched (10 seconds) I take out my OnePlus 7 Pro, wipe it well, pass the towel in the refill slot to dry it. Apparently everything was fine, I take the camera selfie, wipe it and everything works.

An hour later, I take my bus to Paris to go home and look at my smartphone and there, the screen becomes very bright and sparkles. I turn off the power and turn on the smartphone, it sounds a sizzle sound and the screen flickers and takes on a green hue.

In short, although OnePlus proudly announces that this beautiful smartphone is waterproof and that it does not certify by the IP standard to not impact the price on us, I let you see the OnePlus video :

).​

I think the smartphone is absolutely not waterproof and if they had the smartphone certified, they will not get the seal certification.

I have long had a waterproof smartphone, iPhone, Samsung and other and I have always been careful never to wet, never a smartphone to me fell into the water and it had to be my OnePlus 7 Pro.

As soon as I arrived home tonight, I put my smartphone in a box with rice hoping that it does something.

I am so disgusted and sad to find myself with a smartphone that does not work anymore, I love it.

I just spent 05/21/2019 €759 and I just lost them. I find myself without my OnePlus 7 Pro :(

I am writing this message to tell you to pay attention to your precious OnePlus 7 Pro regarding water.

Good evening and good weekend.

Queenmallory

karl7 and OnIt_ like this.
  2. Logancd1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2019

Logancd1 , Jun 8, 2019 :
    Any chance there were cracks as a result of the drop? Or any noticeable damage?

vsanch24 likes this.
  3. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Thanks for your reply, no cracks, my OnePlus 7 Pro is protected by the OnePlus TPU shell and a tempered glass, it bounces off the foam seat and falls into the water without any shocks

4. Logancd1

Logancd1 , Jun 8, 2019 :
    To be fair, just because it has the cheap case on it and tempered glass does not mean it's protected. I'm curious if there is any noticeable damage anywhere on the phone. If not, ok.

5. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

There is no visible damage on the phone and it did not fall from the top 30 cm and into the water directly.

6. Spelt

Spelt , Jun 8, 2019 :
    Oneplus never said the phone was water proof. They said water resistant, that is much different than water proof. Water resistant means you can splash a little water on it or it can get a little wet in light rain but that is not the same as water proof. Keep it out of water.

otto2, amducias, TysonSW and 2 others like this.
  7. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello,

OnePlus does not guarantee the damage by liquid, they say it, but then why make a video of this kind?

You saw the OnePlus video on my first post ?

8. Spelt

Spelt , Jun 8, 2019 :
    That's marketing hype only. Is it splitting hairs yes. You can never believe marketing hype. Companies will exaggerate product qualities to get customers attention. Or to separate their product from other similar products on the market. Many companies will do this. Doesn't mean you can believe the marketing hype. You can only believe official statements, even then take what they are saying with a grain of salt.

Oneplus shows water proof in their marketing video's but only say in official statements, water resistant. Even the water resistance isn't backed with a guarantee because the phone has no rating for water resistance. General Product Buying Rules: Buyer Beware. Be skeptical of everything you see and hear in advertisements and on the internet. Fact check everything. This includes everything in text.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

otto2, DonDerham and Nick 59 like this.
  9. malidan
    Marshmallow Jun 8, 2019

malidan , Jun 8, 2019 :
    You dont say.
    Bro if it ain't certified then it is nothing more than BS.

hotsauce and Gaurav Rohilla like this.
  10. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

In short, I just made this post because I am disgusted to no longer be able to use my OnePlus 7 Pro and even all the waterproof test on Youtube and that their smartphone works :(.

I have never broken my phones, I am very very crazy and there is a small mistake and I lose everything. The worst, the day of my 40th birthday that my friends were celebrating :(

11. oskoubir
    Donut Jun 8, 2019

oskoubir , Jun 8, 2019 :
    Just mention it in the feedback section, and try ur best to claim it under warranty.. Hopefully they replace it "Finger crossed"..

Queenmallory likes this.
  12. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

I do not know if I'll do it, I'll see

13. oskoubir
    Donut Jun 8, 2019

oskoubir , Jun 8, 2019 :
    Better than loosing 750$.. wish u best of luck..

14. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Worse 759€ (not Dollar), but you know the after sales services, they will never accept. And no I'm not happy to lose 759€. For the moment I can not even buy a phone again

15. Spelt

Spelt , Jun 8, 2019 :
    It never hurts to try the warranty route.

16. Queenmallory
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Maybe they'll read my messages here and they'll be nice :)

17. J1542606030006
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2019

J1542606030006 , Jun 8, 2019 :
    This is a prime example of the consequence for not having a smartphone that is not properly IP-certified. By not getting the 7 Pro officially IP-certified, OnePlus did not have to be as thorough during the manufacturing process to ensure adequate water protection, and did not have to adhere to higher standards. They did put measures for some water protection, as evident by many teardowns, but that does not necessarily result in equivalent level of water protection in comparison to officially IP-certified devices.

Don't be fooled. OnePlus didn't skip out on IP certification because they cared so much about saving consumers money. They just chose not to have their devices certified for other unknown reasons.a And as a consumer, you always have to ask yourself whether or not that higher standards of manufacturing demanded by the official IP certification is important for you.

I cannot claim that this unfortunate event would not have happened if the 7 Pro was officially IP certified, but the chance of occurrence would have been lower for sure.

OnePlus made a heck of a good phone in the 7 Pro, but the lack of official IP certification is one of the few weaknesses of the phone. But as they continue to increase the price of their phones and as they aspire to making top-tier flagship smartphones, I feel as though official IP certification is a small price that many consumers would be okay to pay the extra money for.

At the end of the day, I am sorry such unfortunate event occurred that ruined your phone. Hopefully your next purchase does not meet the same fate.

18. Spelt

Spelt , Jun 8, 2019 :
    On the IP certification. Warranty cost maybe an even higher motivation for Oneplus not to include the IP certification than even the cost of the certification itself. Both have their costs.

19. The_Spark
    Eclair Jun 8, 2019

The_Spark , Jun 8, 2019 :
    In Denmark that video is more than enough to direct a complaint to the "Consumer Protection Ministry" and get your phone replaced.

"Forbruger styrelsen" in Danish. You simply state that video made you buy the phone and it´s published by the manufacturer. I don´t know how things work where you live.

20. J1542606030006
    Gingerbread Jun 8, 2019

J1542606030006 , Jun 8, 2019 :
    But then again, no major manufacturers, at least all the ones that I know of, issue warranty protection for any kind of water damage. IP-certified or not, once the water damage indicator inside shows signs of water damage, warranty becomes void anyway. Correct me if I am mistaken.