The OnePlus 7 Pro is unfortunately not waterproof

1. f1_nut Gingerbread Jun 8, 2019

f1_nut, Jun 8, 2019 :
    water resistant or water proof. people tend to use the word interchangeably.

whether officially sealed or not. there's always a risk.

2. Spelt Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2019

Spelt, Jun 8, 2019 :
    I think you are correct.

SeaRefractor likes this.
  3. bp328i Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2019

bp328i, Jun 8, 2019 :
    You are 100% correct, no manufacturer covers water damage whether it's IP68 rated or not.

ziggyson8911 and rarog like this.
  4. sirtenzin Eclair Jun 8, 2019

sirtenzin, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Hi I have been through this situation with Oneplus 6. But it was my fault that I dived into a pool with mt phone and then put it on charge moments later. Anyway my point is you shouldn't be sad....Just go to the Oneplus service centre and show them the phone. For me they only charged for the screen that was for around 100$ and other things they considered it under warranty. So I would suggest you to show it to the service centre once. Good luck

5. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jun 8, 2019

pablofg1978, Jun 8, 2019 :
    As you can clearly read in the video
    Screenshot_20190607-235827.jpg
    OnePlus never said that is water proof, and even ip certified devices the resistance only applies to optimal circumstances.
    Hope that your device has no damage

6. Baymax Starting Point Expert Jun 8, 2019

Baymax, Jun 8, 2019 :
    First, these are water resistant. Not waterproof bud. The 7 Pro is also technically water resistant, but decided to bypass the IP rating due to the price it would add on.

None of which would cover water damage either way.
    Very sorry this happened though bud.

I wish you the best.

buntycubal, rarog and Nick 59 like this.
  7. Vector Jelly Bean Jun 8, 2019

Vector, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Without the IP rating, the phones might have a slight inconsistency with they way they are built, so while you might have seen one taking a swim on YouTube turn out ok, you might have another that can't survive a quick dip. I do hope your phone is OK. I'd also suggest that anyone that does get their phone wet to not activate the selfie camera or charge it while it is drying. You're probably best just shutting the device down if you can and then waiting a couple hours for it to dry before powering it back on.

8. P. Taylor Donut Jun 8, 2019

P. Taylor, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Queenmallory, I'm sorry about your bad luck. Thank you for the warning though. My son forgot he had his Note 8 in his pocket last year, jumped in the pool, got out right away and his phone was dead. And again, as others mentioned that it's only supposed to be water resistant and not waterproof. Even with insurance Verizon nor Samsung wouldn't touch it. But based on some of the responses in this thread you may have a chance. Good luck!

mfgillia likes this.
  9. mojoyoyo77 Lollipop Senior Moderator Jun 8, 2019

mojoyoyo77, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Something similar happened to my partner with an Iphone, he fell into a container with water and it broke down, he was lucky and after 4 days in rice it worked again.
    Iphone, as well as others, even having IP certification, have no guarantee against damage by water. They say it very clearly. IP tests are also pure marketing

rarog likes this.
  10. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Queenmallory, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Thank you for your support and for the moment I have no money to buy a new smartphone. I sold my iPhone X to buy this one (I should have kept it, at least it was waterproof)

11. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello,

Unfortunately in France, no.

Queenmallory

12. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello, in my opinion the screen is now oxidation, I show you photos in a few moments and yes I will see with the service of OnePlus. I do not know if in France we have a OnePlus service center? Thanks for helping you :)

13. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello, thank you for your kindness :)

Baymax likes this.
  14. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello, thank you for your help, which is already done.

And unfortunately no, my OnePlus 7 Pro is not good, I put it for 12 hours in the rice, nothing is done, it's worse, I let you look at the photos below. I'm going to go buy some anti-humidity bags (SILICA GEL) in order to see if that changes anything. I do not even know how much I need, I'll put about 10.

WP_20190608_14_00_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20190608_14_00_38_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

15. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Yes, I know and thank you for your kindness. I would see with the after-sales service

16. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Hello, it's been more than 12 hours that the smartphone is in rice, but nothing changes, it's even worse (look at the photos above).

I will see with bags of balls anti moisture (SILICA GEL), but I do not have much hope.

17. KermitTheFrogger Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

KermitTheFrogger, Jun 8, 2019 :
    You know that it isn't waterproof. It's just water resistant which means that they can't guarantee that it survives a dip. It's the same with the IP rating on other phones.

18. mojoyoyo77 Lollipop Senior Moderator Jun 8, 2019

mojoyoyo77, Jun 8, 2019 :
    Yes, that could be useful too, but keep in mind that 12 hours may be a short time, water may have penetrated many inaccessible places, I would leave it for several days without turning it on, to make sure it dried completely, turn it on with water inside It can cause more problems.
    Anyway, it's also a matter of luck

19. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

He fell from the bench, in the small tray of water below the bench to 15 cm and the depth of the small tray of water is 15 cm too. They in their video do it in a bucket of water lol, even worse than me. And yes we understand that it is not waterproof, but water resistant, but put in my place a minute. Thank you

20. Queenmallory Cupcake Jun 8, 2019

Yes, now I wait and I pray :)