The OnePlus 7T Series: Exploring its New Look

1. Charles C.
    Staff Staff Member Sep 27, 2019

Charles C. , Sep 27, 2019 :
    Hi everyone, Charles here again. For my first post on the OnePlus community forums I spoke about our new visual look for the OnePlus 7T Series. Now that everything is out in the open, we can take a deeper look.

If you were paying attention to the recent 7T Series launch events (and of course you were), then you’ve probably noticed that OnePlus is sporting something of a new look. We hope you like it.

Of course lots of the new updated visual elements were revealed before the launch event itself, like the device packaging.
    boxfront.jpg
    thumbnail.png

The refresh consists of several revised design elements, such as an updated color palette, a new illustration style, typographical changes, and a fresh spin on the layout of text and the orientation of the company’s logo. The driving force behind it all is the company’s Creative Director, Mats Hakansson.

[​IMG]
    Mats Hakansson, OnePlus Creative Director.

The creative force

Originally from Sweden, Mats is a long-time New York resident since attending the prestigious Parsons School of Design in the city. Noted as one of the World’s foremost art and design schools, with its emphasis on passionate commitment, iterative experimentation, and creative collaboration—values reflected in Mats’ diverse body of design work, and also firmly held by OnePlus.

In his illustrious design career, Mats has partnered with the likes of Nike, MAC Cosmetics, Calvin Klein, and W Hotels Worldwide—inspiring new approaches, technologies, and experiences. His design work has also been in exhibitions at the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York, and he taught Technology in the graduate program, School of Design, at Pratt Institute.

MH_CC_R09_038.jpg
    Mats' work with W Hotels

On his design philosophy, Mat says:

I love finding new ways of doing things, and using design to open the door to new possibilities, whether it's how we communicate with each other, or how we perceive and engage with the world around us.

Read on for the inside story of just how this design philosophy permeates the visual sensibilities of the 7T Series.

Color

The first thing the OnePlus community may notice is the expanded color scheme suggestive of a greater sense of self-assuredness in knowing who we are. There are now a wider range of colors for the brand to express itself with, from signature ‘OnePlus Red (redolent of the iconic red charging cable) to dark charcoal, light blue, and dark gray. The distinctive color palette—and the interplay between them either as background or text colors—really stands out and helps build brand recognition.

chargingcable.jpg

Bold and red: The iconic OnePlus charging cable

Speaking of changes, I asked Mats whether loyal OnePlus fans who’ve been with the company from the start might feel alienated by all these changes? Mats was quick to reassure, saying:

Users care about the brand. They don’t want to lose us and we don’t want to lose them. We’re a young company but we’re starting to come into our own and express who we are, and as such, that means the OnePlus personality will start to show more, but it all ties back to the Never Settle ideal.

The new design elements are not trying to reinvent the wheel—more evolution than revolution he emphasizes. It’s the same OnePlus you know but with redesigned visuals that emphasize continuity and consistency (which is a key value of the 7T Series look). No matter across the website, keynotes, video, banner or print ads, there’ll be a recognizable visual unification achieved via the color scheme and typeface that point to the quintessential OnePlus Never Settle spirit and community-at-core attitude.

Font

Emblematic of this ‘evolution not revolution’ approach is the new font. Neue Haas Grotesk was chosen as the typeface, with its smooth curves and refined spacing, a single weight is used throughout making it really stand out from other brands. It is an extremely functional and readable font with a contemporary feel. It’s also a gradual transition reflecting what came before but with an eye on the future. Indeed, the combination of using large amounts of classic ‘OnePlus Red’ and light blue, combined with a large font, pays tribute to our heritage by evoking the OnePlus One’s visual design.

Font.png
    The new typeface: Neue Haas Grotesk.

Product Visual

Perhaps one of the biggest redesigns is how the product itself is represented in both the key visuals and feature visuals (keep reading for an explanation of these two terms). In both regards, OnePlus pushes past traditional tech category aesthetics by representing the new 7T product series in a minimal, yet authentic, fashion.

Key Visual

In design parlance, the key visual introduces the product via iconic and easy to grasp imagery which is used to enhance brand recognition. Ideally, such imagery should be usable across different media and target users’ needs. For the OnePlus 7T Series, this is achieved by showing an actual phone in a real human hand, making for a key visual which emphasizes tactility, humanity, and passion. In Mats words:

We show what the real phone looks like in-hand whereas most other brands use CAD drawings. This reinforces that OnePlus always takes a human-centered approach to design.

handtrio.png
    Concept drawings of hand studies that emphasize the tactile nature of the key visuals.

This lends a certain reality and authenticity to the brand by showing the phone in realistic scenarios.

thumbnail46SM6JPR.jpg

dark.jpg

Moreover, OnePlus is built upon a real global community—not only in our offices worldwide, but also amongst you, the OnePlus community—so “images feature our global, inclusive tech community” Mats tells me.

Feature Visual

This feeling of authenticity is carried over into the feature visual. The task of the feature visual is to complete the product story. Inspired by the visual language of architectural blueprints and engineering manuals, the feature visual highlights the careful thought and consideration that went into the design and construction of the 7T series. Mats explains:

This technical drawing style we’ve used speaks to the sense of ‘elevated utility’ we strive for, meaning the craft of the smartphone is emphasized, and it lends itself to a more authentic expression of the brand.
    Interestingly, those ‘technical drawing’ style designs are very similar to what the company actually hands over to the manufacturers—they aren’t some sci-fi style fly-through of the phone’s interior components. Those unfamiliar or new to OnePlus should have an accurate impression of who we are and what we stand for just from looking at these visuals. We are grounded and we strive for authenticity.

OnePlus 7T - Post 7.png OnePlus 7T - Post 1 (image 2).png
    The technical drawing style as applied to the OnePlus 7T.

Care and Craft

OnePlus was founded by people passionate about crafting the very best products, hand-in-hand with an equally passionate community. It’s this ideal that the company invokes in its updated look.

We are for people who care.

We are for people who make things better.

We are for people who pursue their passions.

Never Settle.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 27, 2019

3. Starcommander
    KitKat Sep 27, 2019

Starcommander , Sep 27, 2019 :
    Congratulations for your first post
    Thats a nice article.
    May I know what made you change the default oneplus font?
    In my personal opinion, the new font is indeed pleasing but I loved the older font of oneplus

FAB1150 and rohitanand like this.
  4. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 27, 2019

youbi , Sep 27, 2019 :
    Overall I think the changes look nice.

Actually the one about the phones actually being on people hands surely makes sense. The truth is that still haven't hovering capacities, so it makes sense to put them in some hands. :p

5. rameshshreyas
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2019

rameshshreyas , Sep 27, 2019 :
    These things end up highly underrated by many and it is nice to see such elaborate thinking goes into this design, and that you explain it to us makes us appreciate it even more. When I saw the packaging, I felt it was a nice throwback to OP2's red packaging. Being a fan of minimalistic designs, I just felt this new design a bit overwhelming. The posts you've beenputting on the social media, it was just too huge that put me a little off. But why did you choose this font family over Slate for presentations? What made you change though?

Z1541647230933 and Charles C. like this.

7. huxley1t
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2019

huxley1t , via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black , Sep 27, 2019 :
    The new typeface: Neue Haas Grotesk.
    You mean Helvetica, the most neutral, and safest font to use?
    How this this font reflect OnePlus' "Never Settle" attitude? By playing it safe?[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]
    Even Univers is better than Helvetica[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019

8. R1569600852635
    Donut Sep 27, 2019

R1569600852635 , Sep 27, 2019 :
    Will the OnePlus gesture navigations return the to OnePlus 7T? I prefer these over the Android Q navigations.

9. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 27, 2019

Its.Leandroo , Sep 27, 2019 :
    As far as I know, it is a bug. They should be coming back.

10. Its.Leandroo

To be really fair here, none of the colors are new, the type face isn't much different (except it has a random name nobody will remember) and the black on red, or red on blue combinations are a no-go for readability and contrast (it fails contrast tests as well). It also just looks as if it was made with paint.

I hope there will be a return to the style we had for years now, as brand consistency and recognition is more important than "just to be different".

Conclusion, I don't like it at all.

11. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 27, 2019

malidan , Sep 27, 2019 :
    Interesting .:tearsofjoy:
    Iut sounds like they were in too much of a hurry to catch up with Xiaomi to Implement their own gestures system.
    That's not sounding very stable to me, I would call it unfinished and no better than beta.

Truely comical.

Z1541647230933 likes this.
  12. Its.Leandroo

There's nothing beta to it. the navigation options available work perfectly fine.

And OnePlus Gestures are already available on the 7 and 7 Pro on the stable release of Android 10, ever since the first Open Beta as well.

13. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Sep 27, 2019

Cheetosdust , Sep 27, 2019 :
    It's really easy to remember: Grotesk.

The type face too.

GopalB. and superplus like this.
  14. Its.Leandroo

The name of the typeface isn't even connected to OnePlus in any way. OnePlus Slate, which has been used for years, is.

People like that typeface/font, the name fits, it's short, and it looks good. Why change it?

FAB1150 and JalananFreak like this.
  15. Sameehan lathkar
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2019

Sameehan lathkar , Sep 27, 2019 :
    is there only one phone???? not OnePlus 7t pro??????????? or it's launch in comming months for a surprise for OnePlus fans??????.

avinash@10 likes this.
  16. abid1603
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2019

abid1603 , Sep 27, 2019 :
    I am pleased with the changes mentioned in the article but I was hoping you would talk about the purpose of redesigning the camera. That I genuinely dislike.

G_Mike_Petr_DWNO likes this.
  17. subhash13
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2019

J1541945960491 and JelleZon like this.
  19. JelleZon
    Lollipop Sep 27, 2019

20. Iamrohit.07 , via OnePlus 6 Midnight Black , Sep 27, 2019 :
    did they added any new fonts in Oxygen OS?