The OnePlus 8T is the best OnePlus so far. Here's why.

1. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 11, 2020

derLenno , Nov 11, 2020 :
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone,

Recently, I got my hands on a OnePlus 8T. Been using it for a few weeks now and I honestly have to say that the phone surprised me a lot.

In short: The OnePlus 8T is one of the most OnePlus devices that OnePlus have ever made.

Unexpected statement? Let me explain.

In my eyes, there were 3 phones in the past that could be described as core OnePlus.
    The OnePlus 3 started the hype and outperformed all other phones on the market. In fact, I just gave mine to a friend last week. 4 years after its release, it still makes people happy.
    The OnePlus 7 Pro finally made the jump to a premium feeling. While it did not deliver what OnePlus once stood for, the 7 Pro felt like the pinnacle of the company when I got my hands on it in 2019.
    The OnePlus 7T delivered such a good value for money that it still gets recommended on a daily basis when someone asks for a good, reliable phone at a great price. It’s the OnePlus release that I see the most in Berlin’s public transport, used by nerds, moms, girls, dads and just about anyone else.

The OnePlus 8T is a mix of all of these aspects.

TLDR:
    👉 Stellar performance. 120Hz + 865 + 12GB RAM + 3.1 make the 8T an absolute beast.
    👉 Great camera. It performs just as my 8 Pro, even the 5MP lens is surprisingly capable, I use the B/W cam a lot actually.
    👉 WARP Charge 65 is the best innovation since high refresh rates. Battery life is awesome.
    👉 Price. It's a flagship level OnePlus phone that is fully worth its money, at least in the EU.

Performance.
    Let's get the elephant out of the room - the OnePlus 8T performs so well, it still amazes me. Even after using the 7 Pro, the 8 Pro and other flagship devices - the performance that the 8T delivers is so good that it’s noticeable.

120Hz, Snapdragon 865, 12GB of RAM and UFS 3.1 storage make the 8T an absolute beast. Call of Duty: Mobile runs with zero stutters, Asphalt 9 runs properly even at 60FPS and other games make it feel as if this phone maaaaybe felt a bit unchallenged. ;)

This continues in day-to-day usage. You know the deal. It’s OnePlus tradition, after all.

OxygenOS 11 delivers stellar performance and feels more natural than ever. The animations look great in 120Hz and the lack of stutter makes the whole thing as Fast and Smooth as advertised.

Camera.
    For years, OnePlus delivered a solid-enough camera. With the 7 Pro and 7T, OnePlus stepped up their game. With the 8 Pro, OnePlus have finally reached a level that I would describe as being on a flagship niveau: Throw almost anything at the camera and it will be handled with care.

I am happy to report that the 8T is no exception to this trend. It still suffers from forcing itself to overexpose, video can be janky, but other than that, the 8T is an absolute joy to use. Images come out very well-balanced, the camera is reliable in every case and if you know how to work the exposure settings, you will not miss a thing. When we talk about camera, the OnePlus 8T does not need to hide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To my surprise, the auxiliary lenses are very capable and usable, too. Apart from the 48MP main shooter, the 8T sports a wide-angle cam, a macro cam and a black/white lens.

[​IMG]

When they announced the phone, I was very sceptical towards the two new cameras: Macro and black/white. The 2MP macro cam of the OnePlus Nord barely managed to turn heads and 5MP didn’t sound as something that would fix the issue. The black/white lens first felt like a gimmick to keep the camera count high.

Boy, was I wrong.

First things first, the wide-angle images turn out expectedly great. OnePlus nailed this with the 8 Pro and they continue to do so with the 8T. Outdoors performance is solid - and it even works well indoors. Don’t know whether they changed a lot, but it definitely feels mature.

[​IMG]

Surprise, Surprise: The 5MP macro lens is so much better than I expected! I saw myself using it every now and then over the past few days. It exposes just fine and detail is on point. This is one of the features that makes me happy the most, as I loved using the 8 Pro’s macro feature and didn't want to lose it.
    [​IMG]

There has been a lot of advertisement of the 2MP black/white lens that made me wonder - why do they advertise a 2 MP lens again?! Turns out the lens is only used to support the main 12MP camera with detail and contrast. So the images that the 8T’s dedicated black/white mode produces are more punchy, with deeper, less artificial blacks, clearer whites and more overall detail than the software solutions have offered so far. I am happy that the fourth lens is not a gimmicky piece of extra hardware to keep the number of cameras high, but actually a feature that I have learned to love and use!
    [​IMG]

In the end, the 8T delivers a satisfying camera experience with just the right features. The newly designed camera app rounds it all up very well. OnePlus are definitely going in the right direction.

WARP Charge 65. Charging in general. BATTERY LIFE!

65 Watt. Do I need to say anything more? While the charging animation is fake, the speed is not. Even after weeks, I smile when I unplug my phone after 30 minutes and it’s full again. Even after weeks, I smile when I realize that the phone does not heat up a single bit. Even after weeks, I smile when I charge 50% within just a single round of battle royale in CODM.

[​IMG]

If that wasn’t enough, the battery lasts me more than a day. Charge for 30 minutes in the morning, use it for a day, keep it off the charger over night, wake up to 20% left, repeat. I think the FHD resolution, OxygenOS 11, a 4500mAh battery and the thermal wizardry that OnePlus are doing here work wonders.

The all-new 65W brick finally allows for all my other devices to be charged with just that one cable. No more do I need to take my bulky black 5 meters long laptop charger with me. The 8T, the OnePlus Buds, my Sony WH1000, my work laptop, my flatmate’s MacBook, my coworker’s iPad Pro (........) can all be charged with just that one cable.

Oh, it’s in the box. For free. The whole thing. Brick and cable. ;)

Why the 8T is the best OnePlus phone so far.

Speaking of the right features.I am not here to talk bad about the 8 Pro or premium flagships in general. But do you know the feeling when something is just too much?

QHD curved screens, a crazy gloss look and everything maxxed out might sound good on paper. However, I always felt that I had just too much in my hands. It’s hard to describe, but the OnePlus 8T feels like just the perfect balance between the most premium flagships out there and the more down to earth mid-rangers of this world. The 8T is not a device that makes you afraid of it. Neither will it let you down in ANY regard. It’s a comforting, fun and reliable device.

The OnePlus 8T cuts the right corners, keeps the right premium features and packages it all in a gorgeously looking piece of glass that feels more ready-to-be-used than any OnePlus from the recent years. It delivers premium features like 120Hz, flagship internals, a smooooooth vibration motor, stereo speakers and HDR/Dolby certification. It has all the things where you’d notice if they were missing. Superb.

The 8T manages to transport just that feeling of owning a OnePlus. It does not aim at being so extra that it would hurt you. It’s the most reliable, most user-friendly OnePlus so far. It’s an absolute beast where it counts. It’s absolutely worth its price and I am happy that OnePlus still release devices like this one. The 8T is a 10/10 device.

Let me know what you think of the 8T in the replies. :)
    I was not paid by OnePlus to write this, but with all the negative headlines these days, a positive message might be a way to keep the mood high :cool:

2. Javvadibabajee
    Froyo Nov 11, 2020

OnePunchDjal and derLenno like this.
  3. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Nov 11, 2020

Starcommander , Nov 11, 2020 :
    I agree completely. Also I terribly feel bad for judging the book by it's cover.
    No tint issue, extra ordinary haptics, great battery and charging. What more do u need?

Edit: perfect hardware without optimized software

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020

4. BeingIncog
    Nougat Nov 11, 2020

BeingIncog , Nov 11, 2020 :
    is that what i think it is?

5. Starcommander

6. manuel19
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Nov 11, 2020

manuel19 , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 11, 2020 :
    Thank you bro, such a good read! Yesterday I thought about writing something similar or more like: a controversial opinion thread, about how the 7pro is totally overrated and just a circlejerk in the OnePlus community.

Every time I'm on reddit or whatever they praise the 7pro for how glorious it is with its infinite display and whatnot but seriously? It's far from the best.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, the screen still looks amazing and the curved glass on the front and back feels great in the hands (as long as the screen is turned off).
    I loved my 7pro since I got it, but after holding a 7t in my hands for the first time, that love slowly vanished.

The 7t does just everything the 7pro does, in a smaller and lighter body, that is so much more useable! The 7Pro is such a giant device that's can be difficult to operate at times, where the 7t totally outperforms the pro. So even if the 7pro would tick all boxes, what is it worth if you can barely use the device?

So after 1.5years, I was certain I'd switch to the 8t, because I couldn't stand the 7pro anymore, and then maybe to the 9pro again, depending on its specs, to get the best hardware again. Luckily, I got selected for the Lab, what made me even more happy about finally being able to switch and made the 9pro more affordable. But to be honest, I don't know if I want to switch anymore. The 8t is just.. perfect. I love this device so much, why get rid of something that's actually so good to use, even if it might not be the best on paper?

Also the thing about the infinite display, vs punch hole: before switching I was a total punch hole hater just because of the asymmetry and looks. But after using it? It doesn't matter. You don't notice it at all. Still amazes me because before, it always annoyed me in marketing material, reviews, even screenshots. But now? I don't notice it anymore. It's totally fine to have, and I don't see any downgrade, coming from the pop-up cam.

Lastly, the brightness on the 7pro was all over the place, it didn't work properly most of the time; you didn't have an actual proximity sensor; all kind of haptic feedback was almost the same, now it's refined where different actions feel different (known as haptic feedback constants in code). There's a lot of things that make the 7 Pro feel more like a Beta than a Pro. :p

TLDR: the 7pro is good, but also a giant brick that's hard to operate at times. 8t is much better to operate what makes it a better phone than a 'Pro' that's hard to use.

WARNING: this is just my personal opinion based on my experience, you might not agree with me and that's fine.

7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2020

8. anunayC
    Honeycomb Nov 11, 2020

9. SRD.
    KitKat Nov 11, 2020

10. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Nov 11, 2020 :
    It maybe, but 8T lost it's OnePlus touch with the design. Not speaking of curved screen here, but the camera array and no black version of Oneplus is something I was not expecting.

MaulikX1, Maloli, Grandkoeky and 9 others like this.
  11. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2020

12. Starcommander

13. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2020

fragargon , Nov 11, 2020 :
    Hi,

This is a neat revue, short and clear. I Like the illustration.

I don't know the 8T. Based on my experience, I had a great experience on the 7T. I think next One would be from serie T. Looks like the T iteration of current series is more "mature".

m2c

14. JelleZon

JelleZon , Nov 11, 2020 :
    Awesome quality content, as always! :cool::innocent::hearteyes:

15. Navdeep_Malik

16. Aditya Javadekar
    Jelly Bean Nov 11, 2020

17. ntquyet143
    Gingerbread Nov 11, 2020

18. Antonio_Luis
    Honeycomb Nov 11, 2020

Antonio_Luis , Nov 11, 2020 :
    Awesome review brother! I feel the same way. And I talk to alot of my tech buddies about it and they just brush me off and call me a fanboy lol. Everything you said is spot on. Only thing I'd wish you would have touched on was the display. Would love to read your input on it in general. Flat vs curved and the overall quality.

19. Karun Deep

20. G1591424019675
    Cupcake Nov 11, 2020

G1591424019675 , via OnePlus 8 , Nov 11, 2020 :
    R u people out of your mind while fixing the price of OnePlus 8T? I purchased one plus 8few months ago for 45k but 8T was launched for 43k. That's the reason one plus will soon lose its market value. It u had made exchange offers like apple people would hv exchanged 8 with 8T by spending some bucks. This is the most ironic thing that u people aren't mentioning anywhere. N after the update my one plus 8 is draining battery too much. N it hangs many times bcuz of fingerprint so I hv to restart phone many times.