The OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2- Will they be your Best Buds??

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 6, 2019

Venky61 , Jul 6, 2019 :
    Hello Guys, this is Venky and I am here to share my experience with the OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2.

I have been fortunate enough to be selected as one of the Accessory Tester through the Musical Review Challenge of BW1 competition organized by @Ruby G. As a part of Testing, I received the prototype of Bullets Wireless 2 and I have provided the OnePlus team with a honest feedback. I have been using it from the last 3 months and my usage has been majorly for listening to music while commuting & jogging and watching movies/series at home or during long travels.
    Cover.jpg
    Note: Though it's a prototype that I have been using, we were told that it's exactly the same as the retail version except for the fact that we did not receive any Retail packaging and the box internals like Pouch, charging cable or extra ear tips.

If you are someone who don't want to read through the long post, please head down to the bottom and read the Pros and Cons.

--------------------------
    Design and Comfort:
    --------------------------
    I know that many of you were expecting the Bullet Wireless 2 to be completely wireless, but personally I am happy that it isn't. With the neck band style, you are free from worries about losing one of the earphone while storing or it just falling off the ear. It's gives the feeling of being secured around the neck.
    1.jpg
    The neck band is flexible, durable and soft that doesn't make you uncomfortable in any way. It's very light weight and after using it couple of times, you forget that it's even resting on your neck. The cable that connects the neckband to the speakers is long enough for easy reach to ears but the cable is not the strongest. Now the whole length is too long IMO (longer than the BW1 due to increased battery capacity) and has some practical issues for care-free usage.
    1. Often it happens when am at my desktop wearing the BW2, they get locked under the table while getting up. With the not so strong cable I fear that they might just snap out one day.
    2. I like to use them while am in gym (Yes..I can't bear that terrible playlist in the gym) and the cable keeps coming in between the workout.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-06 at 22.42.46.jpeg
    The new seashell design of the bullets (speakers) is a good move. They look more polished and seamless. Above that the material has been upgraded from plastic to Steel that feels premium. They sit comfortably in the ear without weighing too much. The ear buds are soft and help in using them for longer time. The removal of the ear wings might have been done for looks but it's absence is felt. I tried to get them out of the ear by shaking like a metal head and still they did stick with me. I am moved :p.

The muted design with matt black finish and the red accent on the bullets and earbuds looks very classy, though I wish there was more red use especially for the buttons.

----------------------------
    Buttons and Features:
    ----------------------------

There are totally 4 buttons provided on the BW2. The volume control buttons and the action key are present along with the inline mic. The volume keys have a single function of controlling the vol up & down, where as the action key is a multi-tasker.
    Single Click - Music Pause/resume or Call Answer/End
    Double Click - Next Track
    Triple Click - Previous Track
    Long Press - Google Assistant.
    IMG_20190705_085519.jpg
    These buttons are tiny and easy to get confused with. They are not so tactile and they are not embossed well to identify just by touch. The fourth button is placed on the battery compartment that's used for pairing, switching between devices and reset. Now again I wish this button could have been used for manual power On/Off.

Coming to features, the BW2 is feature rich.
    Magnetic Pause/Resume
    This is the most convenient way to use any Bluetooth earphone. Just snap the bullets together to pause and separate them to resume back to the music. This feature is not just useful for music but also calls, when am in the middle of some work I just take out the BW2 and quickly talk through it without having to take the pain of powering it ON manually.

Now this great feature is turned into a disadvantage due to the smaller magnet surface. They get easily detached and this becomes a real issue while storing in the pouch. Couple of times it happened that my BW2 is tucked inside my bag and my calls directed to Bluetooth audio and me realizing this only after few secs. OnePlus should seriously give the option to manually turn off BW2.

Multi-Point
    The new Multi-Point feature to switch between two devices is just an icing on the cake. Daily before sleeping I watch an episode of Office or Sheldon and my wife has given clear instructions that I have to watch through earphone so that she could watch her daily soaps on speaker. With just a double tap of the power key, I quickly switch (~5 sec) from 1+6T to Lenovo Tab 4 and continue enjoying the media viewing experience on a bigger screen. Earlier with BW1, I had to turn off Bluetooth on one of the device to use on the other.

Google Assistant
    As mentioned earlier, long pressing the action key activates the Google Assistant. It takes around 2 sec to activate but there's no notification sound that it's activated. If you are listening to music then the pause makes you identify it. My personal experience has been half baked in this segment. Sometimes it does catch my words right and sometimes it just doesn't stop listening, I have to cancel and try again.

Quick pair
    If you are planning to use with OnePlus phones, the first time pairing is gonna be more easy with the quick pair. As soon as you get the BW2 into pairing mode, the phones gives a notification about the availability of the earphone and it connects with a tap.

Bluetooth 5.0
    I have used other Bluetooth earphones in the past that have 4.2 technology and the BW2 with the 5.0 has strong connectivity all around the house with no stuttering or drops that is far more superior to the devices with 4.2. It provides a seamless experience.

-----------
    Battery:
    -----------

As advertised, 10min of charge gives 10 hrs of music playback. I tested it many times and the 10 hr life was achieved even with vol set to maximum. I did not use any warp charger, but a regular OnePlus fast charger (20W). For full charge it takes around 35-40 min and in my battery testing I used to keep the music play ON overnight and it took 14hrs at full volume for the battery to go dead. I repeated it couple of times and it was always the similar. This might change for each individual depending on the Bluetooth strength, I used to keep them close by.
    IMG_20190705_090140.jpg

Overall the battery is incredible compared to many other Bluetooth earphones that take at least an hour to full charge and provide only 5-8 hrs of life. Also the standby battery life is amazing. I did not use it for a week and the battery life was almost where it was left.One improvement that can be included is the indication of low battery life. Right now there's no notification or sound to identify except for looking on the phone.

---------
    Sound:
    ---------

What's the use of a earphone with so many features if it doesn't provide good sound. Isn't it the main purpose. And I must say that the Bullets Wireless 2 passes to an extent in this segment. The sound quality is good with decent lows and good mids and highs. The voices are clear and crisp. I generally listen to pop music and some slow Bollywood tracks, I miss some punch in the bass and sometimes the treble can be over powering compared to the Mids. But if you know how to tune the audio output with the Equalizer, then a slight adjustment should suit your taste. The sound definitely feels more rich compared to other regular earphones that I use but it's not also something out of the world.

The BW2 sound output can get very loud. Even in noisy areas the volume level set to 60-70% should be sufficient. Even during the calls, the sound is clear and loud.

IMG_20190705_090513.jpg

The active noise cancellation and the decision of keeping the mic near the action key together helps in making the call conversations very pleasant without much of a disturbance. The noise isolation is sufficient for me, I am neither disturbed by the sound around nor so much isolated that my wife has to throw a glass at me :p

PUBG
    Now I don't play PUBG but after seeing many threads about the lag experienced, though of giving it a try. I would like to thank my brother for leading me and bearing my pathetic gameplay. Now coming back to the experience, the audio transmission was smooth with no lag. I thought I would die in 2 minutes but to my surprise I survived for around 20 min and throughout the gameplay I kept bugging my brother with questions and he was spoon feeding me with the procedure. He told me that my voice was clear and am bad at shooting :p So I hope that clears your doubt regarding its performance with PUBG.

Edit 1: 12/7/19
    As many have been asking about the experience during phone calls in noisy environments I decided to give it a try. I called my brother while I was traveling in a car. All the windows were kept open and I was sitting beside one. The call conversation was recorded where I switched to Phone's internal mic to bring out the difference.
    Spoiler: We spoke in our native language "Telugu" :p so please bare with the video.

I have used other bluetooth earphones that cost 1000-1500 and they are much worse if used in windy environments, the BW2 is OK but definitely not the best. My brother could here me but occasionally I had to repeat my words. The noise cancellation in BW2 seems like reduces the voice too. I hope this test was useful for you guys.

-------------------------
    Price & Availability:
    -------------------------
    When I saw the price of BW2 announced at the OnePlus Launch event as 5990/- , I just thought that a part of the reduced cost of 1+7 is added to the Bullets Wireless 2. The price is definitely high IMO for the Indian market. Such a premium price would have been justified if the BW2 had excelled in the sound department as it does in the battery and the features.

The OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 are available at OnePlus and Amazon with limited stocks coming up occasionally.

-------
    Pros:
    -------
    • Magnetic Pause and Resume Feature.
    • Easy Switch between two devices.
    • Great Battery Life with amazing standby life.
    • Quick Charge- 10 min Charge for 10 hrs Life.
    • Stylish and premium looks.
    • Bluetooth 5.0.
    • Google Assistant Integration.
    • Fits Comfortably in the ear.
    • Durable Neck Back.
    • Soft and magnetic lock pouch Included in the pack.
    • Good Sound Quality.
    • Mic Quality.
    ------
    Cons:
    ------
    • High Cost.
    • Underwhelming Bass.
    • Magnetic Resume works only with OnePlus Phones (5/5T, 6/6T, 7/7Pro).
    • No information about Water Resistance.
    • Magnets keep detaching easily and no option to Turn Off.
    • Long cable.
    -------------
    Conclusion:
    -------------
    If you are an Audiophile looking to buy a premium Bluetooth earphone just for the Audio Quality then I would not recommend the BW2. But if you are looking for a decent sounding Bluetooth earphone with Incredible Battery life and Super convenient features that can make your life easy; then the Bullets Wireless 2 are a good choice.

The best marketing strategy for BW2 IMO is to sell bundled with OnePlus phones on offer. Just Saying :p

Do check the detailed reviews shared by my fellow Accessory testers @johneebee and @Shivang Joshi here
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-bullets-wireless-2-can-they-keep-up.1066001/
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-bullets-wireless-2-theres-hope.1067121/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

2. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 6, 2019

YRJ , Jul 6, 2019 :
    Well done @Venky61 nice review and I completely back you up on the conclusion!
    The little sweet features are what make the BW2 a good package, sound quality is certainly not the major selling point but I like the BW2 as a nice companion to my OnePlus phone.

Nice review ,I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 6, 2019

Venky61 , Jul 6, 2019 :
    Thanks bro... The features are truly helpful and once you start using you don't want to switch to another device. Just like we are so used to the dash charge feature ;) But in no time there will be alternative options with similar features at lower cost, let's wait and see how the BW series stands out.

Bouncer71 and YRJ like this.
  4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 6, 2019

YRJ , Jul 6, 2019 :
    Indeed. They are addictive, be it the BW1 / BW2 . Convenience is the major reason why I use them in a regular basis.

When OnePlus goes the truly wireless way, I want to see something similar to the powerbeats pro!

Bouncer71 and Venky61 like this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 7, 2019

Venky61 , Jul 7, 2019 :
    I am still not ready to shift to Truly wireless...May be this is my resistance to transition similar to the one I had for Qwerty to Full Touch :D Also Power beats pro look bulky to me.

Bouncer71 and YRJ like this.
  6. PradattaNigamanshu Behera
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2019

7. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 8, 2019

Venky61 , Jul 8, 2019 :
    Hey... I don't thinks that's possible from the earphone control. You have to press the mute button on the call screen to do that.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  8. PradattaNigamanshu Behera
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2019

PradattaNigamanshu Behera , Jul 8, 2019 :
    saaaaad [e]1f62d[/e]

9. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 8, 2019 :
    I don't recall any Bluetooth earphone having that feature, as matter of fact not even any wired earphone. So am not sure what exactly your expectations are.
    One quick trick is to close the mic part with your hand as its very much accessible.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  10. PradattaNigamanshu Behera
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2019

PradattaNigamanshu Behera , Jul 8, 2019 :
    in wired there is. you can mute it by pressing long.

11. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Jul 8, 2019

Bouncer71 , Jul 8, 2019 :
    Great, honest and nicely written review @Venky61..!
    But you've got to practice on your headbanging skills my friend...
    ;) ;D

Venky61 likes this.
  12. Venky61

Venky61 , Jul 8, 2019 :
    Thank you :)
    Ha ha... True, thanks for the honest feedback man... Planning of taking a course from this guy :p

upload_2019-7-8_16-4-7.gif

13. Triviox
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2019

Triviox , Jul 8, 2019 :
    am i the only one to have a few seconds of sound lag on games when i use headphones ?

Venky61 likes this.
  14. agarwaladi
    Donut Jul 8, 2019

agarwaladi , Jul 8, 2019 :
    Apart from everything, did you check if it has noise cancellation while being on a busy Indian street? Did the other person on the call got irritated listening to so much background noise from your wireless 2.

Dr._Shubham_Sharma likes this.
  15. Kafo_O
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2019

Kafo_O , Jul 8, 2019 :
    what about the mic performance during calls especially outdoor or in places have a loud sounds, i hear maybe the other side hear echo or cant hear you clearly. is that true?

16. Mudunuru.Akash
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2019

17. A1562645220062
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2019

18. MERCYGEORGE
    Cupcake Jul 9, 2019

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019

PUSHPRAJ _VERMA and Venky61 like this.
  19. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jul 9, 2019

Venky61 , Jul 9, 2019 :
    Hey... I have read that few users experienced the same as you, but personally I did not. Did you trying changing at the same time to wired and check the difference?

Hi.. I have used the BW2 for calls while walking along the streets and the person on the other side could hear the sounds from the road but not to a level that it's overpowering my voice. To be precise, the other receiver did not get irritated and could hear my voice clearly. Hope this clears your doubt :)

Hi.... as I mentioned in the post, it's available on Oneplus.in right now. Check below for links
    I am not sure if you are saying that the price is best or asking what would be the best price. Can you clarify.

I wouldn't say there's no Bass at all but yes surely less bass. And yes 3/5 would be my rating too considering all the features, battery life, price and audio quality.
    What according to you is the best feature?

20. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 9, 2019

Venky61 likes this.