The OnePlus Invite System [Updated May 9]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekirschner
    Froyo Apr 17, 2014

ekirschner , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Interesting to see such a disrupting way of release scheme. But let's see how it works out ... Would love to hold a OnePlus One in my hands as soon as possible after launch! :)

2. Rubex
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

3. Forsberg
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Forsberg , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I don't care about invitation (personally). I never buy product directly after release, I wait till other lab rats test it :p

4. Alessandro Zanardi
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

Alessandro Zanardi , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Honestly, i thought it would have been easier to buy a "phone" but now it seems impossible for not-VIP to buy a OPO first day.
    Hope it gets somehow easier before 23th.

5. bertust
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

bertust , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Maybe this is their way of making sure that the phone will be available first to their supporters. Pre-orders would not be able to guarantee that. So maybe enough with the griping for now? We can always gripe later, if necessary. :)

zmanc7 likes this.
  6. jpswer
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2014

jpswer , Apr 17, 2014 :
    This is really worrying for me. I'm a long time "lurker" on the forum and excited by the OPO but not a "well known member" by any means, how will I know if I can get an invite?

First decision I'm not sure I agree with the OnePlus team on.

Looking forward to getting some more clarity on this.

Zenjubo, zmanc7 and Cmoialexcui like this.
  7. CBH
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

CBH , Apr 17, 2014 :
    We need information about the invites!
    Who will be the first to get one and what needs to happen to be among the first ones, who receives a invite?

8. Vithz
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

9. OneOver Zero
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2014

OneOver Zero , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Don't really know what to think about this. I can absolutly understand that it's difficult when you do not knpow how many people will want to buy your phone. Sure, if you produce too much that's obviously bad and if you don't have enough you get bad press and unsatisfied customers.

But come on: It should be absolutely clear how many phones would be needed for us interested people from the forum, so these could be manufactured without thinking and would be sold out immediately. That should certainly not clear out stocks: We are talking of about 4000-5000 phones maybe? So every fomrum member, at least Active Members and above, should get the chance to buy the phone from the beginning, since these members are the ones that will spread word with passion and knowledge.

e1evene1even, Deepak and angeliou like this.
  10. angeliou
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

angeliou , Apr 17, 2014 :
    @Carl This is not a better option than pre orders. I was hoping that being a member on this forum for quite some time, will eventually benefit me from other buyers and i am not talking about discounts or anything like that. At least, to give me the chance to buy my phone asap without any hassle.

At least give your members 5000 invitations, one for each member. If not, I can see now what will happen. Some members will get invites and sell them to others.

Anyway, thats how i feel. :)

panayiotis09 likes this.
  11. Japultra
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

Japultra , Apr 17, 2014 :
    An invite system serves one of two functions:

- To build hype around a product
    - To control the flow/speed of the supply chain

To build hype around a product -
    In this situation where you are selling a product and earning revenues on that product, this makes no sense as the sooner you get the product into people's hands, the more hype can be built (assuming the product is of a good/excellent quality)

To control the flow/speed of the supply chain -
    This is an understandable situation, but if the situation is such, then just let us know. Being dishonest about it does not create any additional brand loyalty or good sentiment.

This invite system is definitely not better than pre-orders.

Pre-order = guaranteed one in stock for you.
    Invite = guaranteed one in stock for you.

Pre-order = open to all. Die hard fans will be first in line to purchase.
    Invite = closed to most. Those who have invites control who gets the phone and these people most likely are not die hard fans who will continue to give free marketing by word of mouth.

I'm the only one of my friends I know who will be getting this phone (so not really sure how to get an invite as this was never addressed), but I'm also the type to tell people about products I'm happy with. So the longer it takes for a customer like me to get one of these phones in my hands, the slower the collective momentum will be.

Basically, you're just irking your strongest fanbase. I say a new approach should be taken.

12. dorothan
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

dorothan , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I guess it just like when gmail first come to market, you must invite by the gmail user, but the things is.... what if you don't have a friend that already using it?! It make the customer is even harder to buy the phone, I dont think this is really a good solution....

zmanc7 likes this.
  13. resor
    Froyo Apr 17, 2014

panayiotis09 likes this.
  14. Arnon Rotem-Gal-Oz
    Donut Apr 17, 2014

Arnon Rotem-Gal-Oz , Apr 17, 2014 :
    This is a very bad idea. If I wanted all my friends to have the same phone as I have I'd probably go and buy a Samsung. Part of the reason to bet on new technology is to be first.
    You are saying the only way to get the phone is by people you know rather than by the people who are most enthusiastic about the phone. If you have limited stock hold a phone for those interested (forum/facebook etc.)

zmanc7 and Ukali like this.
  15. Klarence Pitoc
    Honeycomb Apr 17, 2014

16. Coderedpl
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Coderedpl , Apr 17, 2014 :
    With all honesty, if I can't buy it at launch and have to wait for an invite if it ever happens then I'm not so sure I'll be sitting around.

Either have a big big batch, or figure out a different system. Maybe like moto did with their sale? Allow people to get a code of sort, that expires within a certain amount of time.

zmanc7 and Ukali like this.
  17. Schele
    Froyo Apr 17, 2014

18. jurrienl
    Froyo Apr 17, 2014

19. kilicos
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

kilicos , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Not sure to understand how to get an invitation? I need friend on this forum and as I have'nt any i'm doomed? 23rd is my birthday :) be cool invite me :)

zmanc7 likes this.
  20. saminpgh
    KitKat Apr 17, 2014

saminpgh , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I wish we had more details about this. Nice concept, but the details will make this process a positive one, or possible negative.