The OnePlus Invite System [Updated May 9]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

stevestevela , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Another point for pre-orders... It gives the manufacturer a better view into demand. They have to build at least as many as are paid for...

2. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Ha! I remember how hard that Ingress invite was to get! Only ended up playing for a month. All the people that got invites earlier had already amassed too much power... :)

gavinbrad likes this.
  3. Droid1294
    Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2014

4. katinatez
    Eclair Apr 17, 2014

katinatez , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Invites should at least be a 24 hour invite, reason for that is some are selling their old phones,some are still thinking about purchasing, but I have $$ burning a hole in my pocket. Don't know if I could wait for Christmas.

5. BTLRoach
    Donut Apr 17, 2014

BTLRoach , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Good point, in a lot of ways it's basically trading one gamble for another..

stevestevela likes this.
  6. 36454266
    Eclair Apr 17, 2014

7. robert1000
    Donut Apr 17, 2014

robert1000 , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I think they can only produce a certain amount of the 1+1
    Dont you think it is strange a start up company can produce a high end smartphone, do logistics, funding etc in a couple months? Even big companys have problems releasing worldwide.
    Their stock will be hundreds and not thousands.

8. zeldomar
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

9. solomonarnett
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

10. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

Totally. I think the invitation lottery is just causing a lot of confusion. And, mostly for the fans that already are interested enough to find the official site, create an account, and post. Why alienate the fans? If they have, say, 50,000 phones for launch, then all this back and forth is for nothing (everyone here gets one). Now, if they only have 5,000 units... Then people are going to be upset...

Raymond Kwong and BTLRoach like this.
  11. GUNG
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

GUNG , Apr 17, 2014 :
    Invite me ..carl I will spread the news and tell the world my friends that you are the phone to have at this present time and the future ..oneplus one rulez....

12. lgygt
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

lgygt , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I would like to be in the invite list, does anyone know how exactly?

13. stevestevela
    Gingerbread Apr 17, 2014

I hear you. I really hope that's not the case. If it is, there are going to be thousands, not hundreds, of disappointed people here... :(

14. noo7na7
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2014

15. Happy Monk
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2014

Happy Monk , Apr 17, 2014 :
    I am waiting for my taxe return to buy that phone lol. What a great way to treat myself.

stevestevela likes this.
  16. Felipe
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2014

Felipe , Apr 17, 2014 :
    How do I know if I am invited to buy one? Do I receive the invitation by mail?

17. stean
    Donut Apr 18, 2014

stean , Apr 18, 2014 :
    I'm really curious how this concept is going and work in the end . If they can provide enough units at launch and distribute the invites to the right people it might be an interestingly new way to satisfy the fans and promote the product. If they get it somehow wrong though they might scare a lot of loyal fans and potential multipliers away.
    On the one hand I'd rather be angry that there isn't enough supply (-> I <- didn't order fast enough) than feel like an 'unwanted' customer (because -> they <- preferred others). When starting a business on the other hand it's always good to start with a small but really loyal and reliable user/fanbase - especially if your marketing strategy is mostly aiming towards word of mouth from customers. Think it was Steve Blank who said something like "it's better to have 100 customers who love you than 10000" who like you :)
    Anyways, I hope the opo is going to be a success and production will be able to supply the initial demand as quickly as possible .

18. Marluxia
    Froyo Apr 18, 2014

Marluxia , Apr 18, 2014 :
    Can't wait to hear more details on how this will work. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

19. Jpfury
    Froyo Apr 18, 2014

Jpfury , Apr 18, 2014 :
    The anticipation is way too overwhelming for my little mind to comprehend, let alone handle.

20. raf1978
    Honeycomb Apr 18, 2014

raf1978 , Apr 18, 2014 :
    @Carl
    If I get it well : no invite = no way to buy the OPO ??? :(

I really understand that you value more "thoughtful contributions from active fans" than the others, but how do you define "active" and "thoughtful" contributions ? I'm a recent member and my professionnal and personnal activities don't allow me to contribute more than I already do... (for example, I participate in various threads but never have time to participate in any contest you guys set up)
    And I have no friend in real life interested in techs that would send me an invite : I "discovered" the OPO on my own a few months ago and I'm the one spreading the word around me !

And since I live in Bolivia, there's no chance I get the OPO here : my only hope is(was?) that I can buy it and have it delivered at my parents house in France when I'm there in holidays before I travel back to Bolivia on June 26th...
    With that invite system of yours, my hopes are almost fading away. :confused::(

I'm (anxiously) waiting April 23rd to have more infos about it... and about the OPO itself ! (that I'm waiting like a kid before Christmas! ;) )

dvorinho, jewjitsu117 and Droid1294 like this.