The OnePlus One Screen: Bright, Sharp and Power Efficient

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. someonesim
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2014

someonesim , Apr 3, 2014 :
    I do agree with OP, 5.5" in 5" body with 1080P resolution is just nice. While QHD sounds awesome, there's little source ( video, games as well ) to fully utilize that resolution. 1080P was the sweet spot for mobile devices. One+ One's DRAM technology is another features I'll definitely appreciate, as I use my N5 for reading reviews/news, so there will be few seconds to minute that phone display will be completely static.

2. mydragoon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 8, 2014

mydragoon , Apr 8, 2014 :

5.5" is not small.

when i whip out my Note 2, ppl gasp. they frequently ask how i can use such a big phone.

now, add 1080p screen to the 5.5". do you know how much better things can be? how much more (pixels) we can now squeeze into that screen?

i just hope we can have apps that maximise the 'big' screen. yes, multi-window is nice. but i really do hope we can have more 'floating' apps.

Samsung actually did quite well in certain aspects. imho, they've done well with the s-pen (no batteries required). in my books, Samsung's also done well when their video player and browser came with a floating function. it allowed me to really multitask. here's an example of what i typically do on my phone:
    multi_tasking_note.png

as you can see, the game's downloading in the background. i'm browsing for some information while the video is playing (could be the boring bit of the movie).

while i may not have game+video+browser all in on go, the pop-up browser is really useful. sometimes, we just want a quick glimpse of what the link in an article is about... click the link (from regular browser, which could be chrome, etc), pop-up browser launches... we continue reading article on the regular browser while the link loads on the pop-up browser. the pop-up browser that came with the Note 2 is even re-sizeable!

would this be feasible on a small screen? nope...
    but on a 5.5" with 1080p... we really need to have more apps that utilise and maximise the potential of the screen.

3. lukakas
    Donut Apr 8, 2014

4. sandroitaly
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 8, 2014

sandroitaly , Apr 8, 2014 :
    I hope that the menu buttons are not part of the screen as in some smatphone.
    5.5 full-screen buttons on the body please

5. OllerLoewe
    Cupcake Apr 8, 2014

6. GregOrevo
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2014

GregOrevo , Apr 8, 2014 :
    We don't know yet :)

7. someonesim
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2014

mydragoon likes this.
  8. _k1l1_
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2014

_k1l1_ , Apr 9, 2014 :
    or sth like usb2go?

9. rohitmunny
    Cupcake Apr 9, 2014

rohitmunny , Apr 9, 2014 :
    Can anybody tell me what is the actual PPI and the brightness of the screen. Also whether the unit will be Dust/Splash proof like the Sony Xperia.

One of the major disadvantages of Samsung and Sony is that these units are not scratch resistant and are getting scratches even on the screen for some of the units. Is the One Plus unit scratch resistant.

Rohir

10. GregOrevo
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2014

GregOrevo , Apr 9, 2014 :
    400+ PPi, for the brightness we don't know yet, about the dust/splash-proof, they said it won't be waterproof but let's see.

11. Muckpuck
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 9, 2014

Muckpuck , Apr 9, 2014 :
    5.5" @ 1920x1080 gives 400.58 PPI. Far sharper than Apples Retina displays, and considering it's a JDI display we can expect a quality screen.

12. someonesim
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2014

someonesim , Apr 9, 2014 :
    I was hoping for spill resistant, that's more than enough to prevent minor accident.

13. Muckpuck
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 9, 2014

Muckpuck , Apr 9, 2014 :
    When phones started to go above 300 PPI the PPI started to become irrelevant. It's more about how good those viewing angles are, about the gamut, saturation etc.

Just be happy we get 3 subpixels per pixel, and no Samsung PenTile 2 subpixel mumbojumbo!

14. mydragoon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2014

mydragoon , Apr 10, 2014 :
    scratch resistant don't mean they can't get scratches. scratch proof is different from scratch resistant.

scratch resistant here means it's more difficult to get scratches, but still possible. sand is something that can easily cause scratches on gorilla glass (regardless of which version of GG).

15. bigCITYbrown
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2014

16. CZ Eddie
    Froyo Apr 11, 2014

CZ Eddie , Apr 11, 2014 :
    Will the OnePlus One's screen have better daylight visibility than the HTC One or Galaxy S5?

17. T00Sp00kyFoU
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 11, 2014

T00Sp00kyFoU , Apr 11, 2014 :
    S5 very likely since AMOLED has pore visibility in day light. I know the M7 had a much higher brightness than the S4 did and owning an M7 i do have to say the screen is incredibly bright as max brightness. I assume the M8 and S5 are pretty much no different. It will probably be about or just below that of the M7/M8. I definitely wouldn't expect any brighter.

18. someonesim
    Honeycomb Apr 11, 2014

someonesim , Apr 11, 2014 :
    S5, OPO definitely better as AMOLED had poor visibility under bright sun.
    One M8, similar or below. Note that M8 had bright LCD and good visibility under sun light. OPO utilize JDI's LCD ( should be IPS panel ) and IPS had good visibility under sun light as well.

19. Martin Z
    Honeycomb Apr 11, 2014

Martin Z , Apr 11, 2014 :
    Is it a fact that i missed that we get a RGB and not a RGBW screen?

20. someonesim
    Honeycomb Apr 11, 2014

someonesim , Apr 11, 2014 :
    OPO use JDI display, so we can assumed it use JDI's latest high-end panel, which had WhiteMagic technology, uses RGBW matrix.