The Pursuit of Excellence: Striving to Deliver the Best Display Experience via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Jun 3, 2020

Pete , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Display Experience.png

Hi friends,

It’s already been more than a month since we launched the OnePlus 8 series. And in that time, I’ve seen many give the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro their approval, especially on the quality of their displays.

With OnePlus 8 Pro, we successfully pushed the display refresh rate from 90Hz to a blazing fast 120Hz, with higher color accuracy, better automatic brightness, and more. Our R&D team have continued worked day and night to bring out multiple software updates to consistently improve the display experience. After all, having good specs is easy, but bringing out the full potential of the hardware is not. And today I would like to share with you some more details about how we made this happen.

The Best Display Experience: Software and Hardware Working Seamlessly Together
    In the R&D process for these two devices, we put the display experience first. We believe that the display is the base supporting almost all other features. If it's not done right, it will compromise the user's entire experience of the phone.

So for the OnePlus 8 series, we very simply wanted to make the best display in the industry.

To do that, we worked with Samsung Display to customize displays for both the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro using the latest organic material and OLED panels.

For the OnePlus 8, we crafted a 6.55-inch FHD+ panel with a 90Hz refresh rate and 1100 nits peak brightness. On the 8 Pro, we pushed the standards to the next level, creating a 6.78-inch display with a 120Hz refresh rate, 3168×1440 resolution, up to 513 ppi, and peak brightness of 1300 nits.

But for us, customizing great panels was just step one.

You might know that phones using the same camera sensor can often still produce very different image quality, and that’s because the same hardware might have different algorithm calibrations. The same is the case with displays: you can have the best specs, but to really make the most of them, you have to match them with the right calibrations.

On the OnePlus 8 Pro, we paired it with a customized high-performance touch panel amd display driver integrated circuits. We then also customized a specialized display chip, and layered a number of exclusive optimization technologies of our own on top.

Thanks to all of this, the OnePlus 8 Pro’s top-tier hardware achieves even more. For instance, it offers a billion colors, 64 times as many as mainstream displays, and achieved DisplayMate’s highest score ever for JNCD color accuracy. It also comes with a motion estimation, motion compensation (MEMC) feature that scales up low-frame contents up to 120fps.

We introduced these features during the launch, and many of you who have already experienced them for yourselves have had great stories to share. But there’s even more to the OnePlus 8 Pro’s display, and we wanted to share with you three other advancements you might not have heard about.

Front and Back Light Sensors for Better Automatic Brightness
    Automatic brightness adjustment is one of those things we benefit from pretty much all day, every day. But most people don’t stop to think about how hard it is to get that right.

On the OnePlus 8 Pro, we used not one but two light sensors, one on the front and one on the back, for more accurate reads on ambient lighting.

We also upgraded the algorithm so that the phone can respond more quickly and appropriately depending on the use case.

We then stepped up the number of brightness levels from 1024, which most Android flagships use, to 4096, resulting in brightness that adjusts much more smoothly.

I’ve seen some users remark online that since they’ve started using the OnePlus 8 Pro, they haven’t had to manually adjust the display brightness once.

That’s what we mean by a “burdenless” experience.

More Brightness, Less Glare: Better Outdoor Visibility
    Most smartphones are perfectly fine for indoor use, but outside, especially in very bright sunlight, most displays often become unreadable.

To address that, we raised the full screen brightness to over 800 nits and added a unique polarizing film. When the display is not active, this film makes the OnePlus 8 Pro's screen a deeper, truer black, and its helps to reduce glare, improving visibility.

In DisplayMate's tests, the 8 Pro reflected on average just 4.4% of light, and mirror reflections were just 5.3%. These are some of the lowest figures for any smartphone display, which means that very little light will be reflected back by the display.

With more brightness and less glare, the 8 Pro ensures a clear, clean and bright display even outdoors.

Power Optimization for QHD+ 120Hz
    After the launch event, a lot of reviewers and users both said they loved having QHD+ and 120Hz together, so they didn't have to choose between clarity and smoothness.

But to make that possible took a lot of effort.

From a technical standpoint, it’s not that hard to have both at the same time, but they will use a lot of power. To have QHD+, 120Hz, and keep up the battery life—that’s a challenge. To reduce the power consumption, we tweaked a lot of details, such as rewriting some system-level mechanisms and letting the Snapdragon 865 sip less power even while keeping up performance.

We also made some other smart functional adjustments. When watching online video, using a map app, or doing something else that doesn’t require a high refresh rate, the system will automatically drop it down to 60Hz to conserve power. As soon as it senses a touch control, it switches back to 120Hz to maintain that smooth experience.

With these optimizations on the OnePlus 8 Pro, we’ve made it possible to have both QHD+ and 120Hz at the same time and still deliver great battery life.

Striving for the Best Display Experience
    In the current smartphone field, doing a pretty good display is not very difficult, but to make one that outperforms the rest of the industry takes enormous investment and true innovation. On the 8 Pro, we achieved 10-bit color, more accurate color performance, MEMC, smarter brightness adjustment, enhanced outdoor visibility, and more. And to do all of that, we spent nearly a year refining this display. But we know this is not the endpoint.

Starting from the OnePlus One, we have always worked with our users to create the best flagship experience. Because we know that only with real user co-creation can we perfect the details.

From the first day the OnePlus 8 series reached the public, we have been listening to user feedback, and we continue to refine the software and display performance. In the latest firmware (10.5.8 for the OnePlus 8 Pro), we’ve made yet another upgrade to the display for everyone to enjoy.

So finally, I want to give a special thanks to all of you for your invaluable feedback.

Last year’s OnePlus 7 Pro 90Hz Fluid Display raised many people’s expectations for what a truly fast and smooth display could be, and the enthusiasm we saw for it drove us to exceed ourselves once again on the OnePlus 8 Pro.

We are grateful to have a group of users who are as determined as we are to “never settle.” Your feedback helps us to make better products, and is the motivation behind our ceaseless pursuit of the next breakthrough.

Thank you all.

Never Settle.

2. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Jun 3, 2020

Some_Random_Username , Jun 3, 2020 :
    The IN11AA version of that build has been pulled, meaning most users in NA are on a build without those said display fixes.
    Not to mention that hiding issues by kernel changes (making lowest brightness setting higher) isn't a true way of solving the problem.

3. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 3, 2020 :
    This for the OPZ or whatever is next please.....

Less of.....
    This out of the box issue will be fixed in the next software update. X

More of....
    Works out fo the box.

Dresa91, Y.Singh, alebalbina and 13 others like this.
  4. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2020

SJBoss , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Should be called MYWVEW (make your video watching experience worse).
    Just like OnePlus devices produces average pictures with same flagship hardware.

5. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 3, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Yes and we are still waiting in India :rolleyes:

6. JelleZon
    Lollipop Jun 3, 2020

JelleZon , Jun 3, 2020 :
    This is really an awesome feature!
    Even on my 7T the screen reaches up to 1000nits and there is absolutely no issue with the screen visibility in direct sunlight.

7. meatandy
    Oreo Jun 3, 2020

meatandy , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Please successfully keep the new products in stock for the first few months ...Then we'll talk.

8. Max_Fremps
    Gingerbread Jun 3, 2020

Max_Fremps , Jun 3, 2020 :
    You delive to us the worst display experience:
    Green/Red Tint
    Black Crush
    Image Retention

9. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 3, 2020 :
    source.gif

10. Sinnaz0709
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 3, 2020

clintverghese and OPD like this.
  11. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 3, 2020 :
    What other screen isues ? Elaborate please.....

Also....
    Dude...you really expecting a response ?
    Last Seen @
    PETE.jpg

12. Sinnaz0709

13. Tobikage
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

Tobikage , Jun 3, 2020 :
    Oh...those. I was expecting something more exciting.

14. Sinnaz0709

P1591136610336 and Tobikage like this.
  15. Anirudhkajaria
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2020

Anirudhkajaria , Jun 3, 2020 :
    From my journey beginning with OnePlus to OnePlus 6 and my entire family following suit, we are afficandos of OnePlus but here I am wanting to buy a OnePlus 8 Pro and having no clue how I can show off a prized product. Tireless pursuit with online retailers, company site, local retailers and all sources, I write here, our company should reward die hard fans like me to buy on priority.
    We are your brand ambassadors, WE MAKE PLUS ONE user.

ANIRUDH KAJARIA

17. H1590753935232
    Cupcake Jun 3, 2020

H1590753935232 , via OnePlus 8 , Jun 3, 2020 :
    I'm using one plus 8 and I bought it 4 days back,I'm having an issue with it's battery as it is draining too fast.so please kindly help me to resolve my issue

F1536011049830 likes this.
  18. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 3, 2020

MosheG1 , Jun 3, 2020 :
    awesome!
    it's always great to hear what goes on behind the scenes!

Batman360 likes this.
  19. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jun 3, 2020

B_Wrath , Jun 3, 2020 :
    This is a bold thread to post. :rolleyes:

Just rambling about we did this, we did that.
    What good is all this when the "display experience" isn't "best" as claimed here?

Not even a single mention about the black crush issues, the green tints, the uneven color gradation.
    I believe the black bar next to the front camera hole (an abomination on its own) is just there to enhance the camera looks.

What's all these issues? No sir. We haven't heard anything about that at all!

Come on OnePlus. It's time you stop kidding yourself and false boast. It's best to humbly accept the flaws and acknowledge them at least. That's how true "improvements" happens and you can achieve "best experience".