The Pursuit of Excellence: Striving to Deliver the Best Display Experience

1. SeaRefractor
    Gingerbread Jun 5, 2020

SeaRefractor , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 5, 2020 :
    Sounds like I dodged the display issues by going with the Pro model currently sold by T-Mobile. Hopefully it is resolved with the 8T or 9 series. I'm likely going to wait for a while since wireless charging isn't something I used anyway on my Samsung Galaxy series before moving to OnePlus.

Would be great if it's truly resolved with a software update.

2. cowboi007
    Donut Jun 5, 2020

cowboi007 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 5, 2020 :
    Well this has been the most disappointing experience I've ever had with any phone. I was excited to get the 8 pro since it was a 5g phone. The day it arrived I placed my sim straight into it, set it up and then disappointment. NO 5G. I have a 5g plan and live in a 5g area. My sim is new. My carrier telstra states they don't block any phones from using their 5g service. After searching every damn site I could and oneplus forums, I've found that so many others have the same experience and have found that the 5g bands have not been switched on for people to use unless it was purchased through a supporting carrier. Australia does not sell oneplus phones at this point in time so had to purchase it through an online store locally. It is a global version but nothing. I had a cn version previously that was sent back because I was lead to believe it wouldn't work with 5g in Australia. But now I've found that it is oneplus themselves who are preventing oneplus phone owners from accessing 5g worldwide. My phone has band 78 for 5g in Australia and yet nothing. SO DON'T BUY THE PHONE UNTIL ONEPLUS SORT THIS MESS OUT. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATHE AS I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A RESPONSE FOR WEEKS. A BIG FAT NOTHING. DON'T BUY THE 8 AND 8 PRO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE DISSAPOINTED. DISGUSTING FORM ONEPLUS.

3. Raidesnake88
    Donut Jun 5, 2020

Raidesnake88 , Jun 5, 2020 :
    I have the OnePlus 8 non-pro, and I've had black crush issues as well where the black levels were significantly worse than my old OnePlus 3. I sent it in for a replacement and it didn't get any better with the new phone, but I did however find a workaround that might benefit people.

There's an app on the play store called Screen Balance that allows you to change the white-balance of the screen and without the app, black levels around a 12 on another app called Display Tester would be just about invisible. With Screen Balance set to fluorescent or fluorescent(warm), I can see black levels down to like a 2-3, which is better than my old phone and pretty impressive. I can't say whether or not it'll fix any tint issues since my model doesn't run into those. Additionally the app has an on-off toggle, which will come in handy if you just want to turn it off.

This might help if you already have an 8 or an 8 pro and black crush is experience ruiningly annoying for you in the mean time. I think the app was used to fix things on the Pixel 2 and the Galaxy S9 in the past.

I'm a bit of a display snob, but I can't quantify what it does to the calibration they're so proud of, but I'd imagine if you care about 100% color accuracy and stuff on a professional level (even on your phone for some reason) it's a trade-off.

OnePlus definitely needs to fix this at a system level and not make this a compromise, but I just wanted to share what I found with people for now since I found mentions of the app in relation to older phones, but haven't come across it in any of the vast number of threads here and mostly on reddit that I've looked at regarding the 8 and 8 pro.

I also think this confirms (at least in my case) that it's not necessarily a hardware issue with the screen, but a software display calibration issue.

OPD likes this.
  4. P1590880184625
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2020

P1590880184625 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 6, 2020 :
    broooo! ikr ! I had to get my 8pro from Canada for 1100.

5. controlcrazy
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2020

6. mokaeswar
    Honeycomb Jun 8, 2020

mokaeswar , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 8, 2020 :
    I'm seriously loosing interest in OnePlus 8 Pro (in India). It seems like July 2nd week would be the availability date, which is almost 3 months after launch. Even if I buy the phone in the first sale, a new T variant with 65W Charger and 4th Usable Camera would be launching.
    To top this, Oppo Find X2 is launching next week, with almost same features, if not better (Only thing stopping from buying that is lack of OxygenOS)

Then, I saw in a YouTube video (by GeekyRanjit) that OnePlus may not launch T series this year which really makes sense.

Please let us know (atleast for Indian Market, as Sales are delayed by 3 months), if you're planning to launch T series or not.

8. akashgupta7421 , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 9, 2020 :
    firstly announce a date for Oneplus 8 Pro its been too long that all of us has been waiting and waiting really pathetic way to value customers need if there is issue with production plant how come Oneplus 8 is on sale and not the 8 Pro is this some kind of joke or its just a marketing hype so that everyone should get attracted towards Oneplus.

9. Chiraag Shetty
    Eclair Jun 11, 2020

Chiraag Shetty , Jun 11, 2020 :
    Hey Pete,in the oneplus 8 and 8 pro....you hv implemented curved display which many people complaint about telling it gives a good look but has no function and hinders day to day use....I hv a brilliant fix for this....Add *EDGE TRIGGERS*...what I mean is....make the top edge hv 2 virtual buttons and add a key mapping software....so lets say I am playing pubg,if I press the top left EDGE TRIGGER which has been mapped to fire....the game immediately starts to fire bullets...and lets say I hv mapped the right edge trigger to aim...then the game immediately aims as I press the left trigger

10. Jameseld82a
    Eclair Jun 17, 2020

Jameseld82a , Jun 17, 2020 :
    I love the screen on my OP8PRO.

The colours really pop without looking over saturated and the brightness is great in bright sunshine.

Plus having 120hz refresh makes it feel so quick and smooth.

11. H1582410362603
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2020

H1582410362603 , Jun 18, 2020 :
    thanks for taking my message I have a OnePlus 7t pro and I'm wondering if I want to go to the 8 pro I'm always looking for the best in electronics and I've been with Samsung forever but I have had this phone for 4 to 6 months and I'm still wondering if I should go to the 8 pro or go back to Samsung. I've had some connectivity issues with 5G that could be my carrier which is T-Mobile or this phone I don't know which one it is but any answer that you could give me to stay with the OnePlus community would be helpful compared to the Samsung note or the s20. thanks for hearing me.

12. i.amsrp
    Donut Jun 19, 2020

RahulBhola likes this.
  13. V1540363683824
    Eclair Jun 19, 2020

14. F_Vijay_Vick
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2020

15. Dobsonov
    Honeycomb Jun 29, 2020

Dobsonov , Jun 29, 2020 :
    Very brave to post something like this when everywhere else you look online is talking about problems with the screen rather than the quality of it. I desperately want it to be as good as they're claiming but user experience does not seem to back this up. Sadly this article just seems like they are wanting to hide the issue, which just makes me feel even more like there really is a problem here.

16. V1540363683824
    Eclair Jul 2, 2020