The Real problem

?

Do you want oneplus to implement the changes i suggested above?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Can't say

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. xeon101 Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2018

xeon101, Jan 3, 2018 :
    hello there, Please keep informing to OnePlus about 5t problems....to help make this beta 2 & 3 software great...

even OnePlus put aside the oreo open beta 1 from the server... I don't know why....

Ph3NoM likes this.
  2. aldruino Donut Jan 3, 2018

aldruino, Jan 3, 2018 :
    I must say, I partially agree with this. I am new in the OnePlus world. I came from a Windows phone and just bought a OnePlus 5T last December. I'm quite disappointed with the cameras, everything else is superb though. I know I didn't buy the phone for the cameras but it still nice to have good cameras since this is a flagship device. I hope OnePlus can issue an update that can improve the quality of the photos.

xeon101 and Ph3NoM like this.
  3. TurboBot Froyo Jan 3, 2018

TurboBot, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Which WP did you come from? If you came from the Lumia 950/XL, Nokia Lumia 1020, or any high end Lumia with good optics and that wonderful Carl Zeiss image processing and Pureview technology, then your disappointment makes sense. At that point, you would pretty much be disappointed with basically everything released this year save for the Google Pixel 2/XL, which still has slightly inferior image quality to some of those Windows Phones I mentioned. Check out this website for information and features of Windows Phones, including detailed and honest camera comparisons: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com
    Camera comparison between OP5T and Microsoft Lumia 950 XL:
    http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/22616_Camera_head_to_head_Lumia_950_.php
    Camera comparison between Pixel 2 XL and Microsoft Lumia 950 XL:
    http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/22562_camera_head_to_head_lumia_950_.php

Straynart likes this.
  4. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    i still wish oneplus went with the sony imx 362 or 377 sensor on this one. Apparently higher the number(imx 398/376) doesnot guarantee anything with respect to image quality. Moto G5 plus in its $200 price bracket uses a sony imx 362 sensor and an aperturr of f/1.7 and it is a fantastic value for money device even better than its bigger sibling G5s plus. Xiaomi have used the imx 386 sensor on all their devices this year coz its tried and tested. I have seen that xiaomi excels in its bokeh mode implementation in its flagships and not in its budget phones.

xeon101 likes this.
  5. TurboBot Froyo Jan 3, 2018

TurboBot, Jan 3, 2018 :
    IMX377 and 378 are probably the best recent Exmor RS sensors from Sony's lineup from a physics standpoint, and they were used in some of Sony's standalone cameras. That said, those sensors are THICK. The OG Pixels had to taper up from around 7.3mm at the bottom of the phone to around 8.6mm at the top in order for the camera to sit flush, and that was without OIS, so the camera hump on the 5T would jut out too far, with too much physical space around where the camera would be being taken up. Plus, those are technologically behind the IMX362, which offers the much more effective Dual-Pixel PDAF system. While this would have been amazing given the IMX362's overall smaller size compared to the IMX377/378, the IMX362 still takes up a good bit more space than the IMX398. I personally think that OnePlus should have used the IMX386 that many Xiaomi and Huawei/Honor flagships have been utilizing. It's a slightly smaller sensor than what the 5T has, but has larger individual pixels due to the 12MP resolution. This would have led to slightly lower ISO values necessary and less denoise application in image processing. But, the IMX398 is more than capable, and is definitely not an issue here.

While I'm not bullish on the 5T for lack of OIS, as I said before, I do understand that its omission does hurt the camera performance of the 5T in that OnePlus' software overcompensates for the high ISO values onset by the need for a fast shutter speed to mitigate motion blur. That last point, motion blur, is another hindrance for the 5T compared to the best in the game: the 5T's camera is now dependent on the consistency of the human hand and its quivers. I watched an in-depth comparison between the OnePlus 5T and the Galaxy Note 8 (which was done by a Samsung fanboy, admittedly, who only begrudgingly pointed out advantages of the 5T as needed) and noticed that the nearly-primary reason why the OnePlus lost the rear camera comparison, other than lower resolved detail and sharpness, was due to motion blur. (Side note: the guy failed to mention OIS at all in the entire 35 minute video).

SpartanVissepo, Straynart and Ph3NoM like this.
  6. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    @Carl @Pete @Jimmy Z. please have a look at this.
    @michikoao and @Shine.Li -please show this to the developers.

TurboBot likes this.
  7. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Considering that the 5T was sporting a bigger camera bump when compared with the 5, i was kind of hopeful that this time Oneplus would have implemented OIS in their cameras (which would have been far better than the swapping of the units).I did not get their logic of using IMX 376K( sporting 1 micron size pixels) for lowlight situation(irony). The imx 398 with its 1.12 micron was better suited for lowlight considering its larger pixel size. Even if we assume that the intelligent pixel technology does work to an extent, for video in lowlights the camera again switches back to the 16MP camera(w/o any Intelligent pixel technology). So what is the purpose of using a secondary camera for lowlights exactly? I may sound harsh but at this point this is the most pointless execution of the Dual camera system i have seen in a device till date.

TurboBot likes this.
  8. TurboBot Froyo Jan 3, 2018

TurboBot, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Well said. While not the worst implementation of a dual camera, it's not a great one. The camera bump increased in size due to the far wider f1.7 aperture lens on the secondary sensor and the increased 27.22mm focal length of both lenses, as compare to the 24mm focal length of the main lens on the 5. Video is indeed an odd case, handled by the 20MP camera in 1080p60 without EIS, but in 4K30, 1080p30, and 720p30/120, it is handled by the 16MP camera, with gyro-EIS. Part of the issue with OnePlus' secondary camera implementation is the fact that it only switches to the 20MP sensor in extreme low-light; I think the system would be more effective we're the camera used in less-extreme low-light scenarios. This pixel-binning "Intelligent Pixel" technology would work better if pictures stayed at 5MP resolution instead of being re-interpolated back to 20MP. All of that complaining done, I'm brought back to the lack of purpose for a second sensor in this scenario, other than to capture depth information for portrait mode, which works well on the 5T and does not have a dramatic crop/zoom, which is quite nice. I understand how this system works, but I also understand that using the second camera for low-light, software trickery aside, doesn't make sense. What would have made more sense (and would have allowed for better low-light detail rendition if used properly) would have been a monochrome sensor.

I have complained quite a bit already lol...on a more positive note, at least the camera implementation is far better than the poor monochrome implementation (still) on the Essential phone and the pointless camera as a whole on the Razer phone. And the dual camera with that portrait mode feature is a selling point for OnePlus here, and as I said earlier, good portrait mode that doesn't necessitate standing 6 feet away from the subject to capture a decent amount in the shot is indeed nice. On an even more positive note is how considerate you were for even further attempting to reach out to OnePlus with another one of my posts, so thanks for that.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

9. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    The only answer to all our analysis would be to wait and watch. While I am not too impressed by the Portrait mode on the 5T(blur strength is very low and it struggles in low lights)I would like to see what oneplus does with the software updates on this one till the 6 is released(coz that is the time, when updates from oneplus will become minimal for the 5T users).

10. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Well the Razor Phone and Essential phone aren't available in my country so Oneplus takes the cake for Poor Dual Camera execution here lol.

11. TurboBot Froyo Jan 3, 2018

TurboBot, Jan 3, 2018 :
    You forgot about all of those Chinese Mi Mix knockoffs that tout dual camera systems but don't use their second cameras for anything at all except to take space...those devices can have their second lenses covered for all photographic processes including portrait mode, which only uses the primary camera and is done proorly.

12. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    I have already raised these issues with Bug hunters separately also. I own this device so i would take the necessary steps which i can in my capability to reach out to them. Its upto them to take notice or not. We'll always have an option of switching devices in the future.

13. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    haha. Even xiaomi phones have a knockoff! I thought only expensive phones get a cheap knockoff version.

14. TurboBot Froyo Jan 3, 2018

TurboBot, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Doogee Mix, Maze Alpha, devices like that and many more.

15. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Doogee Mix? Lol that sounds like a cheap remix with no music and all noise.

16. horridsanju Cupcake Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM likes this.
  17. O1514822293757 Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2018

O1514822293757, Jan 3, 2018 :
    this guy is a paid troll of the Honor....so he is talking abt all these these pissy phones....
    xiaomi...Moto....honor.....hahahaha.
    your language and ur punctuations.are perfectly positioned and very apt for what u r writing...
    that's a professional setup man.....send by some company to troll the camera....bcos frankly speaking u cudnt find any other soft spot with the 5T.
    and of course....no pics to prove ur point either.
    u take time to write this flowery language and talk shit.
    didn't us know that there is no OIS on the phone....so why r u whining about it...
    just plain writing and no proofs to substantiate ur claim.....
    no wonder u r no where to be seen in those threads where nice good pics taken with the 5t is posted....bcos that's what u not paid to do....

18. Ph3NoM Gingerbread Jan 3, 2018

Ph3NoM, Jan 3, 2018 :
    Get a life man. This is not facebook that retards like you talk shit on every post and expect to get likes. I am sorry if i am too nice with my punctuations and language but that dsn't take anything away from the fact that you suck at writing proper English even.

19. O1514822293757 Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2018

buddy...agree....the camera is not the best....no one has said that....but again it's not shit either...
    bcos no one is getting a clue as to how so many people are getting exceptional shots with the same cam ....while others are complaining...
    the reason is very simple...
    1...they don't know a shit abt what to do when...
    2..they just want to troll and cry or are paid to do it....like this thread starter

if u r not a troll ,own a 5T and wud like to know If ur cam sucks or not,,,,then go to the photography thread to see what actually is going on...

20. O1514822293757 Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2018

now u see how ur punctuation and language sucks and even u have made typos in this post...
    but all ur posts have such correct punctuations...
    the reason is very simple...

u have written a thought about essay from ur office.
    perfect with all the details right down to the smallest detail..that's what a paid professional does..

who r u fooling man....u r one of the paid pr guys sent here to bad mouth the device and laying claim to the fact that honor and xiaomis are better... hahahahaha

and of course u will have no pics to substantiate ur claim...