The Recollection Remains: What is your first memory of OnePlus?

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 23, 2021

Cheetosdust , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Memory.png

Volatile, ever-changing fragments of time, memories are the preterite adorned with wishful thinking. Clinging to our best version of the past, we recollect to feel or to entertain - or we think we do. In a recent study, more than 6000 people were asked what their first autobiographical memory was.

“Around 40% of participants reported remembering events from the age of two or below – and 14% of people recalled memories from age one and below”.

Problem is: researchers suggest the neurological processes needed to form those autobiographical memories are not completely developed until we are between three and four-years old.

Time will continue to erode what we believe we remember, adjusting it, changing some details, making those memories better or more painful, according to what our hungry personality needs to satiate itself. Memory is not the factual documentation of imagery, but our own communication so many times improvised with the past tense.

From the vast pool of what you remember, I am sure you have memories associated with OnePlus. Good or bad, the remembrance of a good exclamation or the disappointment; the announcement or the delay; the your order has shipped message or the unboxing - your memories of OnePlus are the pieces in this collective puzzle.

Exactly seven years ago, on the 23rd of April 2014, the OnePlus One saw the public light. Happy Birthday to the roots, let’s celebrate together the memories that spawned since the device turned winged-myth came to be. This thread, then, is not about your best or worst memories, but simply:

What is the earliest memory you have of OnePlus?

From me, the answer is suspicion. I remember browsing the news and starting to see the names repeated: OnePlus and OnePlus One via the insatiable RSS feed. Those specs for that price did not make sense to me. I also remember visiting the forums a few weeks - or months [told you, memories are a chameleon] later and discovering the Invite System, skipping it altogether.

I don't think these memories are particularly exciting, but I do love to reminisce about them as they allow for a better personal understanding of the company’s trajectory. Agreeing with the highs and lows, or not, it has been a colorful one. And it all started not even a decade ago.

And now, my dear forumites, please join me. Thank you. :cool:

2. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 23, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    My earliest memory: hype and invites :D
    Super hardware at an unbeatable price:)

3. B_Wrath
    Nougat Apr 23, 2021

B_Wrath , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Memories are @Shivang Joshi!? :eek:

My earliest memory of OnePlus is the buzz around the internet about a cheap a$$ phone with an impressive spec sheet. Never thought it would be possible, until I saw one in my friend's hand.

4. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 23, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Umm...first memory of OnePlus for me was the OnePlus 3Ts advertisement on Indian television.
    We had discussions in my class over what OnePlus was, how it came to existence at that time, and how it was so tech oriented and fast paced brand.

Now being a part of OnePlus, I realize the thing which was special at that time - the vision of the company.

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 23, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Easy peasy. The Verge's article about the company on December 13, 2013:
    https://www.theverge.com/2013/12/16/5217794/oppo-ex-vice-president-pete-lau-launches-oneplus

But my earliest memory that really made the difference was a post on Google+, about these jabs at the established players:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/contest-design-your-own-neversettle-posters.268/

This was what made me register to the forums and ultimately quite literally have a huge impacting my life.

6. K1618612685266
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2021

7. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    I was in class and my friend bought OnePlus 3T gun metal edition whose display,icon pack, customisation got me hypnotised and later I stole his phone( kidding 😂) ! As I was a Students and 25k was huge sum during that time so I started saving money bit by bit and before entering into college I bought the OnePlus 6 which I'm still using since 3yrs!

8. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2021

Dunnow , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Reading on Xataka Android about some employees from Oppo moving to a new venture that would be presented soon.

QuintonClark, otto2, meatandy and 4 others like this.
  9. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

10. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 23, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Well, I got one. ;)

11. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

The1Lion , Apr 23, 2021 :
    What is this OnePlus you speak of? :confused:

Yep, that would be my earliest memory ;):p

Then the research into what it was and how the One compared to a Samsung Note 4. The agony of finding out you needed to be invited to buy the phone and not just simply order one. The browsing of eBay listings for either the phone itself or an invite and eventually signing up on the forums where you could actually get an invite for free :eek::D

Then the excitement of receiving the phone, the pride of ownership and eventually the frustration of dealing with support when the phone failed. But also the joy of finding supportive fellow forumites that gave me hope a replacement would not only be received but also might actually last - which it has to this day and runs LOS 18 currently.

Tobikage, otto2, northbay5566 and 7 others like this.
  12. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2021

McJader , Apr 23, 2021 :
    My earliest memory of OnePlus is probably from 2015.
    My cousin had come to visit, and as I was interested in devices since a very young age, happened to ask which device it was in her hand.
    It turned out to be the OP2, and then she told me all about the amazing specs at unbelievably low prices.
    Over the next few years, I saw several OnePlus devices in my cousin's hand, from the OP3 to the 7Pro.

13. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 23, 2021

Tokolozi , Apr 23, 2021 :
    My first memory of them was my Dad trying to order one for himself. And his anticipation on getting an invite.

Tobikage, otto2, northbay5566 and 8 others like this.
  14. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 23, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 23, 2021 :
    The first half of 2014 was engulfed by the General Elections in India. And the second half was tech centric, India created history as Mangalyaan successfully enters Mars orbit in first attempt.

OnePlus created a tremendous hype for the launch of device, i keenly followed the www.gsmarena.com for tech articles at that time.

One will be exclusively available for purchase on Amazon.in starting December 2, 2014.
    https://m.timesofindia.com/mobiles/...in-india-at-rs-21999/articleshow/45345575.cms

Mr. BG, Bobbie63, KaranRIyer and 3 others like this.
  15. Rohit Bhasin
    Froyo Apr 23, 2021

Rohit Bhasin , Apr 23, 2021 :
    My earliest memory was of the hype around the flagship killer that was supposed to take the tech world by storm. Being excited about the unveiling and then looking around for invites.
    Finally getting mine and gifting the One Plus One to my wife (which btw is still operational). Ever since every year, the unveiling and the anticipated launch for the new offering from OnePlus still evokes the same feeling

Mr. BG, Bobbie63 and Cheetosdust like this.
  16. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2021

derLenno , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Yup, same. I used to be a Custom ROM ultra at that time. Naturally, I would check the XDA front page about 40 times a minute, always on the lookout for the newest release of PhilzTouch Recovery or SuperSU.

[​IMG]

Remember seeing this image, thinking "Wow, that's an ugly font". LOL. But the phone was exciting and as a Custom ROM dude, the thought of clean Android was enticing. Also, Samsung's bottled Android 4.3 (HUH) update package just released, so I was even more desperate for such a device. Oh, I was 13 or 14 by that time.

Being 14 and broke, I could not afford anything anyways, and the invites didn't make it any easier. It would take me another 3 years to buy the OnePlus 3, used, from the money of my first pay check.

Crazy to think what has happened since 2014, thanks for the nostalgia.

SobinZz, Bobbie63, luxuskamel and 4 others like this.
  17. Loubear
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2021

Loubear , Apr 23, 2021 :
    So much has happened!

My first memory was talking to my friend about phones, when he first mentioned the 'OnePlus One' concept that was being talking about online. We were both very much invested in following the OP story from concept, sketches through to the forum. Then I got a deeper understanding of OP and the phone they were trying to create.

I then remember my friend managed to bag an early invite to purchase one, which left me jealous for about 2 weeks until I was also invited to purchase the OP1. What a great feeling being part of something so unique (at the time), it almost made you feel elite! I still have my OP1 somewhere, probably just need to charge it up and see how it still performs today!

18. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 23, 2021

the_o2 , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Dual Camera. Clearer Photos. 😅😎

Lol, kidding aside the Hype around the internet,
    A flagship phone at half of the price not a scam a real deal :)

19. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2021

Girish.Pranav , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Nice thread @Cheetosdust, I was around 12 years old (2014) when I first played around with the OnePlus One. My first memory was that sandpaper back of the phone which I really liked and that was really weird and different at the time, and I guess no phone had that.

20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 23, 2021

Cheetosdust , Apr 23, 2021 :
    Good ones too. Pascal for President of Memories. :cool:

Hah, really close to my own memories then. :p

I love this - I was not here when that was created. Perhaps you should have a thread with proper threads that started it all. Hidden gems for the younger members take a history lesson. ;)

Welcome, hope you are liking your new era so far. :cool:

Hey, I know that site. :p

Sounds exactly like the memories I have from following those days from afar. :D