The Result of OnePlus 7 Pro Camera Blind Test

1. Rajit Kuthiala Donut Jun 18, 2019

Rajit Kuthiala, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Actually the camera part isn't so appealing, it like dual camera just for the sake of it . Even if they give single camera good one I would be happy bokeh is just a bit or miss.

2. joylonm Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

roryrudy likes this.
  3. Ak. Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

Ak., Jun 18, 2019 :
    give camera updates for oneplus 6t as well, make its dynamic range more real

Sayantan1 likes this.
  4. 3XM76 Froyo Jun 18, 2019

3XM76, Jun 18, 2019 :
    At first glance many photos produced by the stock camera seen quite nice. Like the one attached to this post. But when you look at it at full resolution you'll see the crazy sharpening that's being done: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MH4mWpGb9PMA96QFA

Smallest details have been smoothened out and then it's sharpened. It often creates almost like an emboss effect in textures like brickwalls at a distance, tree bark etc. Also here once again the darkest shadows get flattened to near black while the brightest parts are nearly overblown. Looks like something after being tweaked in Instagram :)

Attached Files:

5. Sayantan1 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

6. Sayantan1 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Sayantan1, Jun 18, 2019 :
    please improve the camera software of OnePlus 6t.... specially the front camera

7. Faisal Ekram Eclair Jun 18, 2019

S1527958166239 and Sayantan1 like this.
  8. G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

G_Rich_Cowan_EQlj, Jun 18, 2019 :
    OnePlus needs to work on the camera software. The improvements to the OnePlus 7 pro camera by simply adding gcam is amazing. So it's not the hardware it's obviously the software which is a good thing. as oneplus are the leaders when it comes to software.

9. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

10. Puneet7 Eclair Jun 18, 2019

Puneet7, Jun 18, 2019 :
    many a times I have experienced over saturation in pictures after this update.
    I think something should be done to improve that.

11. Scottspa74 Froyo Jun 18, 2019

Scottspa74, Jun 18, 2019 :
    how about this? I finally got the photo update and it does do a great job now of daylight shots, but when I do the night shot comparison of OnePlus and gcam, gcam is a million times better. how is it you can't employ some xda hackers to improve your game? I spent a lot of money on this damn phone.

roryrudy likes this.
  12. S1527958166239 Eclair Jun 18, 2019

KTaylor62 likes this.
  13. Discostu Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2019

Discostu, Jun 18, 2019 :
    While this was definitely a useful exercise, something that would have added more weight to these rankings would have been for those who participated in voting to provide their comments on why they chose their favourite picture.

No doubt that would have meant a lot of work to read the comments so I appreciate if it was not feasible.

What I am seeing in the results is a swing to more "vibrant" images. Something I personally do not like, I prefer true to life pictures and the ability to edit after. Hence, having comments may have been beneficial in providing context.

OG_Kauie likes this.
  14. Rajeshnavya Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

15. OG_Kauie Eclair Jun 18, 2019

OG_Kauie, Jun 18, 2019 :
    @Jimmy Z. I don't know if I'm just speaking for myself here or if others feel the same as well, I believe that matters like contrast and saturation are subjective and the "pro" user can easily manipulate them to his/her taste. Where the camera really struggles is in detail. I had a far less expensive device prior to this which too had an imx586 and the details it produced were a lot sharper. There seems to be something completely off with OnePlus' noise reduction algorithm which seems to botch up fine detail and make things really shabby.

The Samsung wins the survey and the OnePlus comes second in most not because they have the best image quality but because they look more presentable to most people who I'm sure filled the survey on a handheld device and rarely zoomed in to observe the images thoroughly. Neither did I.

The ideal path to head towards with regards to camera improvements is very simple and straightforward, the most detail the sensor can pull with the most accurate colour science it can provide. The basics are what the devs at OnePlus should be working on and not on trying to make images that are either more pleasing to look at or more social media ready. Almost everyone adds a filter to an image before they post them online anyway.

I've had the OnePlus 7 Pro from the week it launched and the bulk of post processing work I've had to do on the images have been to improve sharpness, texture and clarity digitally, which can never be quite as accurate as sensor level detail.

16. Coreal07 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Coreal07, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Totally agree, and the focal length on the front facing is awful. I'm not sure this can be fixed with software...

OG_Kauie likes this.
  17. Moin2200 KitKat Jun 18, 2019

Moin2200, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I'm happy you decided to be frank and show the results with the 7 pro losing most of the shots.

I belive this a great way to gather feedback as we should take note from the competition instead of ignoring them.

P1559915943848 likes this.
  18. priyanshuranjan3 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

19. Oscar_Ojeda Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Oscar_Ojeda, Jun 18, 2019 :
    You know what I found interesting?? OnePlus lose in almost every test, and even though they didn't lye in results. That's awesome

20. U1558840576505 Cupcake Jun 18, 2019