The rise of a flagship / OnePlus Malaysia Fan Page

1. Felix
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 24, 2019

Felix , Jun 24, 2019 :
    Good day ladies and gentlemen,

It has been a while since I last visited or posted anything on this forum page.

Before I begin, I would like to take the opportunity to apologise to members and OP phone owners that have visited the fan FB page, particularly for the late replies and/or no replies to your queries.

Let's begin.

One: Manners maketh you
    For clarity, the unofficial FB page was created to post updates or highlights on all things good related to the beloved OP. Any technical issues should be highlighted to the official OP page for their noting (especially if it's a product default) or highlighted in the Malaysian community forum page for our more technical inclined members to answer. The last time said page was updated, we encountered quite a few negative comments on the frequency of our update. Well, admins have low tolerance level and we don't like to take sh*t for matters you can Google for answers.

Two years on, I'd like to think our community has improved. Hence, this post

Two: Tale of two margins
    To-date, the highest spec OnePlus 7 Pro (12GB RAM / 256GB ROM) retails in Malaysia for RM4199 vs. USD749 in OP US Store (outright conversion rate of 5.606142 - I'll be damned!). When OP1 was first release, it retailed for USD299 (16GB ROM) and USD349 (64GB ROM) respectively. OnePlus as a brand was relatively unknown back then and on a rising trend, but hell things were simpler and much fun.

Over the coming years, as flagship devices all around continues to develop and improve, OP the flagship killer has a reputation to withhold but doing so requires higher commitment in terms of funding, especially to maintain and improve its image, on top of covering its production costs as well. This, in time led to the prices we are seeing today.

On a personal note, despite our earlier passion in the form of OP1, the flagship killer has risen to be one of the forces to be reckon with in the industry (you can Google its market share) and with the increase in fame and market share, operating margin as well.

As for the higher than conversion prices we are seeing at our shores, could this be due to the change of distributor from Brightst*r to Xi*nfeng Tech? Well, we do not have the material information to be commenting on that. Malaysian said "you know, i know la". My advise, buy / import from the US if you really want one. I'm still a loyal user of Comg*teway and highly recommended that your shipping is done through them. Do note to arrange for SIRIM certification for your devices when it arrives in Malaysia.

Three: Service
    In terms of services, we have been getting a lot of queries on the FB Page regarding service centre for the devices. Listed herein is a list of service centres provided by Xi*nfeng Tech:

1561420915249.jpg

Note:
    The above centres are only for servicing and warranty claims favouring OP 5T and subsequent OP models only. For earlier models, chances are your warranty would have expired by now and it is recommended to refer back to the seller's shop for servicing/replacement. Meanwhile, a quick check shows Brighstar has removed any sign of support for OP at their site.

Four: A sum of all
    To conclude this post, do share with me under this thread on whatever issues that may or has affected your decision making on purchasing phones from OP. My intention is so that OP may hear our voices and act on our concerns.

Maybe comments on thoughts along these lines:-
    1) Do you think OP in Malaysia is overpriced?
    2) What is your expected range for the 12GB RAM / 256GB ROM OP7 Pro? (personally, highest i would pay would be around RM3460 for this version - rate of 4.20 with additional profit margin of 10%).
    3) Do you think OP should market its devices with telcos in Malaysia? Maxis use to have them but never continued...i wonder why...
    4) For existing OP devices owners, regardless of the model, are you impress with the product quality?
    5) Would you consider using OP phones for more than 2 years?
    6) Are you satisfied with aftersales services provided by OP in Malaysia?
    7) Do you want more service centres for Malaysia? Please state area and State.
    8) What other brand is deserving of the flagship killer title? (I find the Red Magic 3 to be quite interesting these days)
    9) Whatever rant your heart desires. Do ensure it is within community guidelines though.

End note:
    OnePlus as a company and a brand is worth supporting, no doubt about that but, with the inconsistent pricing we are seeing globally, do refrain from paying more than what is due. Use proper channels to get what you deserve.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

finaldentiny likes this.
  2. hsg
    Eclair Jun 24, 2019

hsg , Jun 24, 2019 :
    1) Do you think OP in Malaysia is overpriced?

Yes, very overpriced. This is coming from someone who has been part of this brand since it's first ever launch

2) What is your expected range for the 12GB RAM / 256GB ROM OP7 Pro? (personally, highest i would pay would be around RM3460 for this version - rate of 4.20 with additional profit margin of 10%).

RM3299

3) Do you think OP should market its devices with telcos in Malaysia? Maxis use to have them but never continued...i wonder why...

Yep, in fact I bought my OnePlus One thanks to their partnership with Maxis back in the day. It could definitely be a profitable move, especially for potential customers who don't like the concept of forking out that much at one-go. It'll also increase the reach the product has.

4) For existing OP devices owners, regardless of the model, are you impress with the product quality?

For sure, it's why I still have my eyes on OP devices.

5) Would you consider using OP phones for more than 2 years?

I've been using mine for about 4 years now

6) Are you satisfied with aftersales services provided by OP in Malaysia?

Can't comment on that since I haven't felt the need to reach out to customer service after purchase *touch wood*

7) Do you want more service centres for Malaysia? Please state area and State.

Please. KL & Selangor

8) What other brand is deserving of the flagship killer title? (I find the Red Magic 3 to be quite interesting these days)

Xiaomi with their K20pro

9) Whatever rant your heart desires. Do ensure it is within community guidelines though.

Though the OTAs improved the camera processing a lot, it'll be really advantageous to OnePlus to ensure the camera lives up full potential upon release. Many dogged OP7P for its camera and most didnt bother checking in with how much the images have improved since then.

Also, the price. Too high.

Felix likes this.
  3. femiuex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2019

femiuex , Jun 26, 2019 :
    This time around, it's confusing for the OnePlus loyalists as there are 2 models being released at the same time.
    OP is penetrating the premium market with their OP7 Pro model but at the same time (almost) also released the OP7 (non-pro) version.
    The OP7 (non-pro) is being overshadowed by the OP7 Pro as the marketing for the OP7 (non-pro) is minimal at best and is only released in certain countries.

I do agree that the price (in Malaysia) has been bumped up on the OP7 Pro. It is exhorbitantly priced. I almost joined the Redm* army because of this.

The non-pro version of OP7 is priced lower and is still reflective of OP's original idea of an affordable flagship killer whilst the OP7 Pro (OP's flagship) is meant to disrupt the top mobile players.

OP7 Pro is a leap higher than the 6T with it's high refresh rate screen, pop up selfie cam, triple rear cameras, liquid cooling, bigger battery, Dolby Atmos speakers, etc and therefore isn't a successor to the 6T. That's the job for the OP7.

Prices are high when buying from Malaysian distributors. Which may I remind you, has changed 3 times from Brightst*ar to Mi H*n to Xi*nF*ng.
    You're better off importing the OP7 Pro.

You may not get the OP warranty but it's a heck of a lot better than coughing up your hard earned cash to pay extra to unscrupulous traders.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019

Felix likes this.