The RMA query

1. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Aug 31, 2016

boxesofsand , Aug 31, 2016 :
    So, my fingerprint sensor/home button has been dead for weeks, and I had put a support ticket. The support ticket people told me to try wipe data and cache. Didn't work. Now, they are saying put a service request.

I believe I am still in warranty, and I wanted to know how prompt is OnePlus with their service request, I know they have a FAQ which answers this, but I seriously need to know because I'll be handicapped without a phone.

Also, will OnePlus be asking me to pay for this?

Any knowledge on how this process works and how good/bad it is will be extremely appreciated.

2. Deactivated User
    Aug 31, 2016

3. jkb114
    Lollipop Aug 31, 2016

jkb114 , Aug 31, 2016 :
    It can vary massively in terms of timescale, It is normally 2 weeks.
    in terms of paying for it, if the device is damaged, even slightly then your warranty will be void and you will have to pay for it so make sure its not at all if you send it off and I'd suggest taking some very detailed photos of the device's condition before sending.

4. m1tch3m
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 31, 2016

m1tch3m , Aug 31, 2016 :
    I had to go through the RMA process as my home button also died.

After reading various negative threads in the forum I reluctantly started the process. They asked me various standard questions about flashing, has it been on contact with liquid, has it been damaged etc...

Each reply a different person would respond but luckily it seems now they read the previous messages (something a lot of people had been complaining about on the forum).

I then got packing info from Avarto pretty soon after they agreed the RMA. Took pictures of all sides of my. Phone before packing.

You have to remove screen protectors etc. I literally sent the phone itself and the sim tray. No back cover, USB cable, charger or anything! (again heard reports of people sending that when OP states not to then them not getting the accessory back etc).

Then UPS collected my phone and was shipped to Germany/Czech Republic (couldn't work out where it actually went to but hey). This is where I felt a bit in the unknown. The updates between OP and Avarto isn't great. OP said they'd keep me up to date on the repair process but never did. I had to send messages and then them state that they'd find out what's going on. Then out of the blue (with no update from OP) my phone was delivered again by UPS?

The 'A cover' (which is screen, home button and metal edging) had been replaced and my home button was finally working again!!! Only knew of what had been done by the included paper work.

I throughly checked my phone to make sure all was OK (was in perfect condition when I sent it) and all seemed ok.

So all in all took a week for my repair but bear in mind unless communication has improved you won't be updated with the repair process unless you message OP. I was really impressed with the time frame of repair etc.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want to know anything else.

5. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2016

boxesofsand , Sep 5, 2016 :
    You have to remove the back cover too? And what about the pre-applied screen protector that OnePlus initially puts on, does that have to be removed too?

I am just really worried that I send my phone and then it takes like months to get back :(

6. m1tch3m
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2016

m1tch3m , Sep 5, 2016 :
    Yeah, you have other remove the back cover.

If it's what came with the phone I'd leave it. Most likely they'll replace the front screen anyway.

That's what I was worried about but had to take that chance to get it sorted. Luckily all went well and was back in a week.

7. 3caram
    Cupcake Sep 6, 2016

3caram , Sep 6, 2016 :
    My RMA process has been ongoing for two(2) months, mainly because I needed a loaner phone to send mine, a service they don't provide. So I ask to place a hold in my order until I got a loaner phone. Poor me, I did not know when I got my ticket on "hold" , it meant sinking in a black hole of incompetence and bureaucracy

8. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

boxesofsand , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Okay, y'all. Outta nowhere, pure randomness, the home button has started working again :D But, now the question lies, is it fixed for sure or should I send it? :/

9. Tscope
    Froyo Sep 6, 2016

Tscope , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Get it replaced.Seems like some of them has a periodic error or like mine where the flex cable had a damage due to a sharp bending!

10. m1tch3m
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2016

m1tch3m , Sep 6, 2016 :
    I'd get it sorted still. What's to say it doesn't return but this time out of warranty... At least you'll never be in fear of it potentially stop working again..

But as it is working they may seem either as function ok now and not do anything...

Should of sent it out quicker whilst it was dead... Unless your phone had been in contact with water and it's finally dried out?

Just my advice, your call :)

11. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2016

boxesofsand , Sep 7, 2016 :
    It had gotten in contact with water, like salty water. This was the second time this has happened. The first time it stopped working, but in a day or two it was working again. The second time, it got in contact with salty water, and over like maybe 2 - 3 weeks, it just started working today.

Now, even if I decide to send it, what will be the reason I'll be telling them that I'm sending my phone for?

12. boxesofsand
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2016

13. m1tch3m
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 7, 2016

m1tch3m , Sep 7, 2016 :
    Probably not wise putting it came in to contact with water. Plus if the water sensors have gone off in the phone and they see that when inspected your warranty will be void.

You'll just have to do what I said originally and go through the RMA process and see.