The Samsung OnePlus 8

1. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 3, 2020

EABowden , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Let's face it, and I'm a huge OnePlus fanboy, the company is no longer innovating.

The OP8 is the Samsung S10 with the Samsung punch hole camera and Samsung 120hz screen, running OOS.

Now the S10 is a great phone, and Oxygen by far the best OS, but come on @Carl, innovate some!

2. Matt 80
    Lollipop Feb 3, 2020

Matt 80 , Feb 3, 2020 :
    When have oneplus ever innovated?

P.S why are you posting this in starting point? Starting point is for new members to ask questions, not for senior members who should know to post in the correct section of the forum.

Georgeoneplus7pro, otto2 and malidan like this.
  3. EABowden

4. EABowden

EABowden , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Producing top spec phones for less than half the price of Samsung or iPhone was innovative, as was Oxygen OS.

otto2 and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Feb 3, 2020

Cheetosdust , Feb 3, 2020 :
    @EABowden, you started this thread on the Starting Point section of the forums. Like @Matt 80 already mentioned, that section is for new members who are facing problems with their devices or have questions about them and/or the forums.

So I moved it to the Tech section, since it's a more appropriate section for the community to discuss this.

Thank you.

6. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Feb 3, 2020

ghostofcain , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Actually that's the very definition of derivative, copying someone else's design. As I expect the oneplus8 to be significantly cheaper than the S10, that's as innovative as previous devices have been.

7. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 4, 2020

EABowden , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Innovative would include an under-display camera. That would be a game changer

luigibvl likes this.
  8. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 4, 2020

KeepTransisting , Feb 4, 2020 :
    That's what I'm waiting for. I've been spoiled by the pop up and I don't want to downgrade to an ugly hole punch.

9. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2020

malidan , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Downgrade to a superior device. :tearsofjoy:

Impersonal and Matt 80 like this.
  10. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2020

malidan , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Keep waiting as that won't change anything for OP, they are usually 2 years behind or more when it comes to anything other than SOC and ram. :tearsofjoy:

I hear Oap are about to unleash QI on the industry, you might even see AOD. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Impersonal, sfomin and Matt 80 like this.
  11. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 4, 2020

malidan , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Excuse me they innovated Zen Mode.:rolleyes: But then I realised I can achieve the same results with this, so it's only a mod.

Screenshot_20200204_233448_com.huawei.parentcontrol.jpg

Matt 80 likes this.
  12. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 5, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Ironically, Zen Mode is the only thing about this phone that I actually disliked. Literally the day I learned that it existed, I disabled it in ADB. I'm way past the age of needing a nanny, and not quite old enough to need one again.

I rarely use the camera, so the less-than-spectacular camera software doesn't bother me. I also don't give a flying flip about punch holes, notches, or teardrops, so that doesn't bother me. I'll take any of them over a pop-up camera for the sake of simplicity. I positively dislike inductive charging because I see it as a needless waste of electricity, so I have no problems with the lack of it. I wouldn't use it even if the phone did support it.

All in all, I have no complaints -- except for Zen Mode.

Innovation? Humbug. Just give me raw power and a clean OS, and I'll be a happy camper. I wasn't a fanboy when I bought the phone, but I feel myself becoming one.

Richard

cdnfarmer likes this.
  13. ASCHENTE_V
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Zen Mode is really sth strange) What do you think are the best and worst points of 1+ phones and company itself?

David Y. likes this.
  14. Matt 80
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2020

cdnfarmer, malidan, sfomin and 2 others like this.
  15. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 5, 2020

I don't know much about the company. My impression is that they're one of the new breed of Chinese manufacturers who are trying to elevate that country's reputation for product quality by actually producing quality products. But that's just my impression.

I also know little about their phones other than the one I own. I know quite a bit about Android phones in general, however, so I do have some basis for comparison.

That being said, the things I like best about the 7t are:
    • Raw power (SoC and RAM). Without that, nothing else really matters.
    • Warp charging works as hyped: It is very fast and doesn't overheat the battery, even while the phone is simultaneously running resource-intensive apps.
    • Raw GPS reception is excellent. This was especially important to me, so I tested it thoroughly once I received the phone. I did have to disable duty cycling to get the precision and fluidity I was looking for with certain apps; but that's an Android tweak, not a radio problem.
    • Overall build quality seems quite good, although time will tell. I'm impressed enough that I haven't returned the phone and have purchased accessories for it.
    • OxygenOS (so far) seems to be among the best OEM implementations of Android I've used. The deviation from or additions to "pure" Android are few and (usually) sensible.
    • With the exception of Zen Mode, the OnePlus apps work well-enough and sit quietly in the corner coloring until summoned.
    • Battery life has been exceptional. By way of full disclosure, however, I heavily optimize for battery life by disabling unneeded services and applications, restricting permissions on needed ones to only what they need in order for them to do what I want them to do, and reducing the screen refresh rate to 60Hz when using apps where it doesn't make a noticeable difference (such as moving map navigation apps). Assuming I don't use the phone for navigation or mapping, I get three to four days between charges as tweaked.
    • I am happy with the display. I've had none of the tinting issues others have had, the responsive has been excellent with any of the screen protectors I've tried, and the fingerprint scanner works well.
    • The Face ID works so quickly that I don't even notice it except in low light, when the screen has to illuminate so the camera can see my rakishly handsome mug.
    • I prefer the notch over any sort of mechanical solution that involves moving parts, for the sake of simplicity. Moving parts introduce additional opportunities for mechanical failure. I know most people disagree, but most people haven't spent the better part of five decades fixing things that broke. I'll take simple and unbreakable any day.

What I don't care for very much:
    • Zen Mode. I don't need babysitting. I'll throw in Digital Wellbeing, as well, even though it's a Google Android virus feature and not a OnePlus one. I have disabled both using ADB because they flagrantly violate the Second Law of Robotics. I don't buy the argument that they're using the First Law inactivity loophole because they lack sufficient contextual awareness to conclude that extended usage of the device in and of itself is causing harm to the user. I think Asimov would agree.
    • If they simply must include nanny viruses apps like Digital Wellbeing and Zen Mode, they should be easily disabled in the GUI and not require ADB.
    • The camera software is less-than-wonderful. I rarely use the camera (I have a DSLR for that), but I know enough about photography to know that I wouldn't be impressed if I did use it more often or more seriously. That being said, I don't think it's horrid, either. It's just mediocre, in my opinion.
    • I personally would prefer a forehead and chin so the speakers could be front-firing. That being said, I've found the sound quality to be very good overall -- and my ears aren't what they used to be.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020

Loveit and David Y. like this.
  16. EABowden
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2020

EABowden , Feb 5, 2020 :
    The pop-up camera made the phone so much thicker though. I wish my OP6T were as thin as the OP5, and the 7Pro was an absolute brick - 35% heavier and 20% thicker than the OP5!

17. Liehjan
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2020

Liehjan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    The screen is 1" bigger and the batterty is 700mah bigger compared to op5... The 7pro is heavy when you put it on a scale, but does not feel heavy in the hand at all..
    I would like to see a even thicker device, if it came with 6000mah battery

indranujkar and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  18. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 5, 2020

KeepTransisting , Feb 5, 2020 :
    The thickness doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I was sick of bizarrely thin phones that are uncomfortable to hold without a case. The weight I will agree with, though, although I've gotten used to it at this point.

Even then, I'd prefer they'd go back to the teardrop notch rather than the hole punch design. The hole punch is so absolutely gaudy.

19. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 5, 2020

Yep. I'll take function over form, too.

Richard

Liehjan likes this.
  20. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Feb 5, 2020

David Y. , Feb 5, 2020 :
    I can't help but sneak into this clickbait.

hey, that hurts.

sounds like a compliment, thank you. but we welcome rational people more.

this is a really good question, I am curious to find what are the answers from you guys. keep it up.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.