The Samsung OnePlus 8

1. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 5, 2020

StopItRawr , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Does the S10 have a SD865 now? (No, the S20 will!)

Apple use Samsung screens too, are they now Samsung phones?

We don't know what camera setup the OP8 will have.

Besides, the Honor View 20 was the first phone with a Hole Punch, so it's not a Samsung, but an Honor.

Which considering that Huawei and OP are bitter rivals, is worse!

OP were first with high hz phones, Samsung are the ones playing catch up.

2. StopItRawr

StopItRawr , Feb 5, 2020 :
    And had a bigger (4000vs 3300mAh) battery to go with it. And that sounds a lot but 20% thicker is literally 7.3vs 8.8mm. Of course there's far far more screen on the 7 Pro too.

They're all tradeoffs but frankly, phones got too obsessed with being thin anyway!
    See, this is where I disagree.

No Notch > Hole Punch >>>>>>>>Rubbish notches yuck.

The first company to do this properly will make a killing.

3. ASCHENTE_V

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020

4. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    The best points
    Marketing
    A. The mass hysteria created amongst OP fans is really something to see, a OP Is always the best no matter how short of the mark it is.

B. The flooding of Youtube with freebies has also aided their marketing, the promise of a free device has made most very timid and the leading reviewers all seem to say the same scripted lines. "OP says they " I don't hear them saying that about any other Oem.

C. Unlocking bootloaders under warranty was a smart move and has endeared the device to modders. Its second purpose has allowed the dev scene to come up with fixes for their issues.

Worst points

Build quality
    A. There always seems to be hardware issues with their devices, grounding, touch, connectivity and screen issues turn up on a regular basis.

B. Software
    Despite the constant best software remarks on Youtube, it still remains as buggy as hell.
    Pulling an update 3 times says it all.

C. Security
    There seem to be very little and people should be asking some serious questions.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020

Matt 80 and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  5. ASCHENTE_V

ASCHENTE_V , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Yeah, from what I see around is that they don't actually spend too much money on marketing, but somehow lots of people know about it. If I'm not wrong in English it's called world of mouth marketing, when customers themselves advertise the product and info just spreads.

6. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    There is that clean of statement again, it has become very fashionable this year
    . Last year it was stock LIKE.
    .The year before like STOCK.
    .The year before almost STOCK.
    .The year before Stock.
    OOS seem to have an identity issue. :D

Matt 80 and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  7. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Matt 80 likes this.
  8. ASCHENTE_V

By the way have you heard about Escobar phones? What do you think? All I can see there is complete scam.

9. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    That's the one, hence they are still very much unknown outside the tech enthusiasts
    This year is going to be very testing with the competetion exploding at OP's level.
    The likes of Samsung, Huawei and Apple are already out of sight.

Matt 80 likes this.
  10. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    I've been watching, if i can get insurance on it and I actually see them out there I might try one .
    The $349 asking price has caught my attention.

Matt 80 likes this.
  11. ASCHENTE_V

malidan

I've been watching, if i can get insurance on it and I actually see them out there I might try one .
    The $349 asking price has caught my attention.​

Now they've got fold 2 for $399 that looks 100% like galaxy fold and it has bixby vision. When I saw this in their official video, I were like: What??? Probably it was galaxy fold with custom back or just render, I have no idea. I guess it's obvious that it's scam.

malidan likes this.
  12. Matt 80
    Lollipop Feb 5, 2020

ghostofcain and malidan like this.
  13. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 5, 2020

malidan , Feb 5, 2020 :
    At the price more than likely, but I will still be watching just incase. ;)

14. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 5, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Yes, though "word-of-mouth advertising" is more common. It's also not limited to in-person conversations nowadays. Basically, any independent opinion from someone who's not being paid by the company to say good things falls under "word of mouth" in the digital age.

Among tech enthusiasts, word-of-mouth is probably the most important kind of marketing because we're all jaded and skeptical about manufacturer claims. We're more likely to trust word-of-mouth and user forums than manufacturer's sites or brochures.

Before I bought my 7t, I spent about 10 minutes on OP's site, but about 20 hours on xda, other forums, and YouTube getting independent opinions. And that's not counting all the time I spent before then narrowing my choices down to three or four phones. All of that can be considered "word-of-mouth" because none of it was paid advertising or commentary.

As it happens, the 7t has exceeded my expectations, and I shared my feelings with a few people I know who are in the market for new phones. I also have shared my feelings on various forums and have let friends and relatives try my phone. But I tend not to recommend any particular phone or device to others. I share my opinion, let them use mine for a while, and leave it at that. It makes my life easier.

People are funny about phones. Things that I think are trivial almost to the point of idiocy (like camera holes or notches) are make-or-break factors for others. Conversely, when I told one friend that the 7t's SD855+ SoC and 8GB of RAM, compared to the Pixel 4's SD855 and 6 GB of RAM, was a strong factor in my choosing the 7t, they thought I was crazy. Different things matter to different people.

That's also why I don't think there's any one "best" phone. It all depends on the person and the mission. There are "shelves," as it were; and I think the 7t rightfully belongs on the top shelf. But among the phones on a given shelf, different phones are better choices for different people. I mean, there are people who choose Samsung because they actually like Bixby. Go figure.

Richard

15. MetalSir
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2020

MetalSir , Feb 6, 2020 :
    n1 most disappointing thing is the intent (quite deliberate) to downgrade camera sw quality in order to push customers to upgrade to a brand new upcoming device. this is disgusting to me. This is my 3rd oneplus device and there won't be a 4th. I promise.

16. W1527612739915 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 6, 2020 :
    I always have a Samsung phone and a OnePlus plus. This is my take. historically OnePlus phones lack in a couple of key areas. Firstly the camera, it's good but not flagship status. Then imo less important things like no wireless charging or water proof rating. All the things the Samsung has. However the OnePlus phones have always been cheaper, and best of all the OnePlus has oxygen os! Arguably the best OS on any device. It certainly beats Samsungs one UI. I will say though that one UI is a 1000000 times better than touch whiz.
    This year OnePlus promise to work on the camera and there's to be a significant improvement. If this is the case , OnePlus will move up the ladder and become a much more rounded device. And imo more desirable than the s20 range.
    Iv had Samsung phones for years and have always had.tne same problems. Fantastic hardware, not so good software. Every note 10 plus 5g lags, has jelly scrolling and jitters. Something the OnePlus fort do.
    To me a great software experience is much more desirable than say a superb camera over a very good camera.
    This year iv decided to forgo the latest Samsung phone and I'll be going for the OnePlus 8 pro!!

17. Loveit
    KitKat Feb 6, 2020

Loveit , Feb 6, 2020 :
    I'll chip in with pros and cons...

Pros:
    *Speed
    *Easy Rooting

Cons:
    *Features (stock android "like" sucks balls)
    *Camera
    *Price

Some may be surprised with the price part but I'm eyeing up the Xiaomi Mi10 Pro as my next phone and that will have better hardware at a lower price.

Matt 80 and malidan like this.
  18. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2020

malidan , Feb 6, 2020 :
    In anything in life there is always a best, People who say otherwise do so because they do not have the best and want to justify what they have.
    I have a ROG 2, P30 Pro, etc, etc and the Note 10+ was last years best and I can say that without hesitation. If you produced a checklist and ran down it, the Note+'s would still be going when everything else is done. That's why it's was the years best there was nothing that could compare as a whole package.

These days it is pretty hard to find a bad phone, even budget phone specifications are now well in excess of 2014-16 flagships. So it's nolonger a question of bad, it's a question of levels of good and what you get from the best is higher level of consistency across the board.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020

19. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 6, 2020

sfomin , Feb 6, 2020 :
    Note 10+ is king :cool:

20. malidan
    Marshmallow Feb 6, 2020

Matt 80 and sfomin like this.