The Showcase - Review of the OnePlus Explorer Backpack by Overzee

1. Overzee The Showcase Reviewer Nov 29, 2018

Overzee, Nov 29, 2018 :
    logo-overzee_FINAL_780x315.png
    The Showcase: OnePlus Explorer Backpack

Preparing for a Dutch winter with the Explorer Backpack

Let's start with the usual disclaimer: OnePlus did send me this backpack for free, but that has not influenced m review in any way. They have not tried to modify, change, or otherwise pervert the spirit of this review. All of the opinions and experiences are my own, unless otherwise stated.

Introduction

Hi there OnePlus community!

My name is Jeroen, I’m a process operator at an oil refinery in the Rotterdam area. I’m 31 years old and I have been an OnePlus enthousiast for more than 4 years! I’ve bought my first OnePlus phone (the OnePlus One Sandstone Black 64GB) in 2014 and after more than 4 years of great service I’ve replaced it for the fantastic OnePlus 6T (8GB/256GB/Midnight Black). In all these years I’ve promoted the OnePlus brand to my friends, my brother-in-law and colleagues, some of them did buy a OnePlus phone because of the ‘success story’ of my OnePlus One.

I want to thank OnePlus for welcoming me into the OnePlus reviewer group, I’m looking forward to a great review of this really nice product and I hope that in the future there will be another opportunity to review new OnePlus products!

I would also like to thank all the people of the OnePlus community who have voted for me: @puma95, @Plenkske, @gaster, @superplus, @karan. 333, @Mjo, @OALEXANDER, @spartanishan, @Deepak.Si, @SoniaB, @camohan, @cmoialexis, @fluffypinkpanda, @FlixbusLennart, @BraveFox and @charvester. Without their votes I would never have made it through to this group of 10 reviewers.

And of course a special thanks to the other reviewers: @RJBoss, @BobbyV8_, @dalmia09, @camohan, @Its.Leandroo, @sapshot, @harichand raghavan and @Elliro. We created a WhatsApp group from the very start and it was a lot of fun, I hope we can keep it up for at least a couple of more weeks!

IMG_20181128_134647.jpg

Shipping

@Its.Leandroo and me where the first ones to receive the OnePlus Explorer Backpack. The shipping took just three days, it was shipped on Friday from Poland and was delivered at my home address in the Netherlands on Monday just after lunch! Here’s a picture of the box I shared with the other reviewers.

BlurImage_26-11-2018-3-19-3.jpg

Unpacking

The backpack was delivered in a nice red-and-white OnePlus bag which can be re-used for other purposes. As the unpacking of the backpack is not a big deal compared to something as a new phone, there are a few things I will cover. There are a few labels with information attached on the backpack, one of those labels is about the Fidlock ‘SNAP pull’ that provides you with some basic information. For those who want more info there is even a QR-code on the label that redirects to their official website.

IMG_20181126_152618_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20181126_152405_Bokeh.jpg

Also OnePlus has provided information about the fabrics, weight etc.

First look preview

I’ve called this part the ‘first look preview’ for the simple reason I want to do a in-depth review in the coming weeks. So with this preview I want to tell about the features of the backpack that really stood out for me; the beautiful Morandi Green color, the discrete side-pocket, the Fidlock SNAP pull and the high quality (waterproof) fabrics.

Colors can be like magic

I find the color of this backpack a little bit magical! Indoors the color is somewhat grey, but when you go outside and the sun hits the green, it comes to life. The black zippers and straps and the orange/brown strap of the fidlock match perfectly with each other. The OnePlus logo is made of reflective material, although it is small I think it will make you just a little bit more visible when walking in the dusk of darkness.
    IMG_20181126_152510_Bokeh.jpg

Hide away the important stuff

As I travel mostly through Europe I’m obligated to travel with my passport or ID-card. With the OnePlus Explorer backpack I now do have a special side-pocket to access them easily when needed. I’ve tested the side-pocket with two passports (as I mostly travel with my wife) and one OnePlus 6T, all fits perfectly. The side-pocket measures 21cm deep and 15,5cm wide.

IMG_20181128_123940_Bokeh.jpg

IMG_20181128_122826_Bokeh.jpg

Opening and closing as simple as it gets

With the Fidlock SNAP pull one can easily open and close the top flap of the backpack to access the main compartment. With a simple pull down you can feel the mechanism unlock, now you’re able to move away the flap. When closing the flap I’ve found that it’s also really easy, just letting gravity do it’s thing will lock the Fidlock immediately. I think this is one of the biggest selling point for this backpack, it works really great!

You know it’s good when it feels good

I don’t have much knowledge about all the different fabrics there are to build a backpack like this, but I do know it feels great and the sewing quality is really good. I think I can tell more in the next part of my review, as from now on I will start using it for work. I think it will be interesting to see if the quality is still that great after a few weeks of intense use. I have not tested the waterproofness of the backpack, but I know for a fact that @Elliro has tested it in his review. We both have the Morandi green backpack, here’s a link to his review if you’re interested: Elliro

IMG_20181126_152758.jpg

IMG_20181126_153140.jpg

Watch thread

I hope you’ve liked the first part of my ‘The Showcase - OnePlus Explorer Backpack’ review. I know that I called the thread ‘Preparing for a Dutch winter with the Explorer Backpack’, but due to bad weather and pretty busy time with work and some DIY around the house I want to take that topic to the second part for my review. In the next weeks I will continue to work on the review and I will update this thread when it’s ready. I will also look into the comments and if there are interesting question about the OnePlus Explorer Backpack I will see if I can answer in the review. I will choose the 3 best, most interesting questions to answer. If you want to be informed when the review is ready, please click on the ‘watch thread’ button and follow this thread!

P.S. all the pictures in this preview where shot on the OnePlus 6T, mostly in the portrait mode and left untouched.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018

K_plus, Ruby G., Denrick and 38 others like this.
  2. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 29, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Nov 29, 2018 :
    Nice read! waiting for the next;)
    Beautiful pictures (given it was shot on a phone and untouched)
    The OnePlus one is at 4% its starving :astonished:, i would never do to that to any of my phones.:tearsofjoy:
    overall a nice start, and yeah MARKED!
    :)

3. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 29, 2018

superplus, Nov 29, 2018 :
    Wow, what a great start, looking forward to reading the rest! Love the pictures! Any chance you could indicate the position of the side-pocket on a larger overview pic? It does sound quite useful for passports/devices when traveling at least :D

4. Overzee The Showcase Reviewer Nov 29, 2018

Overzee, Nov 29, 2018 :
    Will look into it!

buntycubal and superplus like this.
  5. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 29, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Nov 29, 2018 :
    Time for the questions these remain same for all reviewers and the 6th one is the emotional Quotient let's see who surprises me here [e]1f609[/e]
    1.what do you think of the Fidlock?
    2. how long do you think that's gonna hold up against everyday usage?
    3.on a scale of 1-10 how much would you recommend this bag to another person?
    4. which bag do you think(apart from this one) is the immediate substitute in terms of price and quality?
    5.i would love to see the backpack in action in rain!
    6.would you part with your beloved current backpack and switch to this ? [Emotional Quotient]
    thanks [e]1f60a[/e]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

Overzee likes this.
  6. Deepak.Si KitKat Nov 29, 2018

Overzee likes this.
  7. ofi90 Eclair Nov 29, 2018

ofi90, Nov 29, 2018 :
    Wow, after this review i have to order it! [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

Overzee likes this.
  8. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 30, 2018

s.monster and Overzee like this.
  9. OALEXANDER Indian POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 2, 2018

OALEXANDER, Dec 2, 2018 :
    Well written and indeed a nice review. Looking forward to read from the rest of the backpack reviewers too.

Overzee likes this.
  10. Anubhav1711 Froyo Dec 3, 2018

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

11. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2018

12. Anubhav1711 Froyo Dec 3, 2018

Anubhav1711, Dec 3, 2018 :
    Hey Yash, I have been using this bag for the past 5 days.

1. Fidlock is cool. Just a normal pull down and it opens the bag. To close you don't have to do anything the main flap comes down on its own and the fidlock automatically locks the bag. Pretty dope.

2. Easily this bag will last more than 2years. When you hold the bag you know it's not gonna leave you anytime soon. The Cordura fiber's strength is known to everyone. (PS - Some cool Cordura fiber torture videos on YouTube are fun to watch)

3. 8/10 . Reduced 2 points because it isn't cheap and it is really hard to secure an invite code.

4. The Nike Camoflauge Bag which sells on Amazon and Flikpart at 4800Rs has to be the alternate choice here. But the lack of premium materials and those hidden pockets doesn't make it better than the Explorer.

5. I will upload a water test video soon. Will share it in the forum too.

6. 101% Currently using an American Tourister laptop bag. It is also good at 2300INR but as I said the quality of material is hard to match for any backpack. Also right now the explorer is the talk of the Town. And tech enthusiasts know how hard is it to get. So sporting the OP Explorer makes you stand out amongst the crowd. Also the bag is a real conversation starter.

Overzee and YASHPLUSONE. like this.
  13. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Dec 3, 2018 :
    great justification! I appreciate the time you took to revisit the backpack to answer the question [e]1f60a[/e]
    I am content! ;)
    good day!
    Yash

Overzee and Anubhav1711 like this.
  14. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2018

Overzee likes this.
  15. B1534922912691 Donut Dec 3, 2018

16. Seagal_aikikai Gingerbread Dec 3, 2018

Overzee likes this.
  17. Pranav_Shetty Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

Pranav_Shetty, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Awesome review..could I by any chance get an invite code in DM?? I've been asking around for codes ever since the Explorer Backpack was announced at the 6T launch..!!

18. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Dec 4, 2018 :
    wrong thread mate, get over to accesories sub-forum and click on "invite sharing thread"
    post it there and you sure will get an invite [e]1f609[/e]

19. Pranav_Shetty Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

Pranav_Shetty, Dec 4, 2018 :
    I did..no luck so far...no harm in trying my luck here tho is there..?? hehe

20. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Dec 4, 2018 :
    yeah! surely there is harm
    you put would be flagged as of topic and you will be warned for the same.