4. Things are slowly improving

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It's fabulous, phantastic best evah!

7.8%
  1. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Oct 24, 2017

Lancelot_69 , Oct 24, 2017 :
    Yeah, I shouldn't have eaten 10 burritos before showing up, my bad lol.

Seriously though you are right. It's as if they have been spoon fed all their lives and never heard od google or bing.

SimonRam and Mr. BG like this.
  2. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Oct 24, 2017

Mr. BG , Oct 24, 2017 :
    Just great innit? Masterpeice!

Lancelot_69 and sfomin like this.
  3. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 24, 2017

meatandy , Oct 24, 2017 :
    The fish that got away?

Mr. BG, Lancelot_69 and sfomin like this.
  4. sfomin
    Nougat Oct 24, 2017

SimonRam, Mr. BG and Lancelot_69 like this.
  5. Andy.w
    KitKat Oct 28, 2017

Andy.w , Oct 28, 2017 :
    it was so much better when we first started all these forums ,miss the old days skipping for UK to America and ozz just having a laugh and helping when I could ,hahaha, me!

6. puma95
    Jelly Bean Moderator Oct 28, 2017

puma95 , Oct 28, 2017 :
    But we're still here and on it!

Thanks for this post @Mr.BG, nice to share your opinion ;)

Mr. BG and BeingIncog like this.
  7. chirururu
    Donut Oct 28, 2017

chirururu , Oct 28, 2017 :
    this seems to be the est suggestion so far .

Mr. BG likes this.
  8. Kamal Hans
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 31, 2017

Kamal Hans , Oct 31, 2017 :
    @Carl, @DavidY, I request you to plz ask the mods to ensure that politeness is maintained in the community.
    A whole lot of us are newbies - derogatively called cupcakes by the senior members- who ask questions, sometimes ones that have been answered before or request for features or report problems we're encountering & are answered with rude, arrogant & supercilious comments from the "senior members" ; sadly, even some mods have been responding in this unacceptable manner.
    There have been especially a large number of racist, insulting comments about Indians which just should not be tolerated.
    This trend has to be dealt with firmly. Unless the mods deal with such instances immediately & firmly, the atmosphere in the community will be badly & negatively affected.
    Lastly, the mods themselves need to set an example by exhibiting high standards of courtesy & patience.

9. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 31, 2017

keithnyc , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Hi Kamal.... I can't agree with you more. This is one thing that I and the other mods truly believe in and support. May of our warnings, both publicly and privately, remind folks to treat EVERYONE with respect and empathy, especially new folks that may not fully understand forum rules and guidelines. And this issue has also been bought up at our moderstor meeting and several ideas have been discussed to help us better address the issues you have mentioned.
    Please know that all the mods are actively looking out for those folks that are not treating others respectfully;
    bullying, racism, and other forms of harassment will not be tolerated in this forum, So if you see this, please report this so it can be dealt with properly.
    Thanks for responding and helping us to keep the forum a positive experience for Everyone.

MoWeb, youbi, gusuraman and 2 others like this.
  10. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Oct 31, 2017

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Hey Kamal
    I moved your post to this thread as its more to do with the state of the forums rather than the moderator meet up recap thread.
    To address what you have posted:
    1. Negative posting towards new user. This is a concern that is being addressed and has been discussed. Moderators will enforce the forum rules on any user (irrespective of level) if they use the term "cupcake" to insult etc.
    2. Same will follow for any racist or inappropriate posts against any nationality.
    3. There are almost always 1600+ users online at any one time. There are thousands of active discussions and posts. Moderators will not see and review every post. This is why we rely on the community to use the "report" function to assist us. This ensures that any posts violating rules can be dealt with quicker and more efficiently.
    Our goal is to always have an inclusive community.
    4. Moderators must adhere to forum rules the same as any user of the forum. If you see a moderator violating these rules, then you can use the report function or send a PM to higher level moderator.
    Finally, with regards to the moderator meet up, there was a moderator workshop and a lot of areas were addressed.
    The workshops provided great initiatives for making the community more friendly but these will require a lot of work and development, so it will take some time, but we are actively looking at making the forum better and a great experience for all.

Rusty NZ, pablofg1978, rarog and 6 others like this.
  11. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 31, 2017

superplus , Oct 31, 2017 :
    This is one of the matters which has been discussed and it has always been and will always be important that the forum be an enjoyable and welcoming space for all community members, irrespective of whether they have just joined or not.
    If you see any behaviour you feel is in violation of the forum's code of conduct, from any community member (moderators included), please use the "report" function and the situation will be evaluated, thanks.

12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Oct 31, 2017

dsmonteiro , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Ever heard the "there are two sides to every story" expression?

Well, there is. While I do agree that the trend of treating cupcakes in a condescending way is uncalled for, many of the other things you accuse "senior members" of, are also present on comments by new members. Rudeness, arrogance, self-centrism, self-entitlement. I could go on.

How many times did I already see a "new member" saying that he doesn't care that there are rules and that he's free to create threads as he sees fit?
    How many times did I see "new members" demanding things as if they speak for the entire community?
    How many times did I see "new members" insulting others just because they don't agree with what they're told?
    How many times "new members" simply ignore the rules, the pinned threads and simply do what they please?

13. SoniaB

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Established members are guilty of the above too :oops:
    But one thing this thread and the Mod Meet does highlight is that a lot needs to be done to "fix" the issues raised by both new users and older forumers

youbi likes this.
  14. dsmonteiro

So no more Community App preinstalled?

15. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Oct 31, 2017

gusuraman , Oct 31, 2017 :
    This point was raised too. I don't know if they'll do that, but the community app is going to be improved a lot. It won't be so bad as it is now

16. dsmonteiro

I'm not saying they're not. I'm saying that what @Kamal Hans said just tells one side of the story.

Deactivated User likes this.
  17. SoniaB

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Indeed it does but it is his opinion on what he is seeing happening on the forum and as a relatively new user its what he has been seeing.
    A lot of what he has said, has been there from the beginning (invite days).

18. dsmonteiro

I see it differently. I see him selectively choosing what to complain about. Considering he just accused me of being racist towards Indians due to the comment below, it just show how biased @Kamal Hans is:
    I've been a new member and so have all the people that are currently "senior members". But I would safely bet that if you check the "senior members" initial posts, you won't see many of the things that were said here about "new members", at least not in the vast majority of them.

On the other hand, the users that @Kamal Hans is curiously overlooking, usually make a handful highly redundant posts and then simply fade away into the ether.

The people that begged for invites are the same type of users that now disrupt the community flooding it with not so good photos on dozens and dozens of daily threads, demanding features that only benefit a fringe of the users, that ignore pinned threads and just post the same things over and over again.

So, unlike @Kamal Hans, I don't blame the "senior members". I don't blame the "new members". I blame everyone. OnePlus included.

19. SoniaB

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2017 :
    Noted and looking into the other racist part

pablofg1978 likes this.
  20. MoWeb
    Froyo Oct 31, 2017

MoWeb , Oct 31, 2017 :
    The way people get treated here for asking questions makes me not ask questions. Search doesn't always return results that apply to your situation even though your question may be similar in nature to questions asked before.

The problem is people have "Internet Courage". The anonymity of the Internet brings out the worst in people. Most people that are being rude or racist here or any forum for that matter would not do that to someone's face. Behind a keyboard or screen they feel invincible and become complete jerks. This is just my opinion.

pojr likes this.