The stories behind The Lab

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 26, 2020

dsmonteiro , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Artboard 11.png

Hey everyone,

The Lab is open, and it’s waiting for your application. Almost 100 users have joined The Lab Hall of Fame, having a small taste of what’s it like to be a tech influencer. We’ve invited some of them not only to share their experience, but also some valuable tips! We’re sure their accounts will be the definitive push for those of you that are still on the fence.

Users such as yourself are now submitting their applications to become the next wave of Lab reviewers. What writing tips can you share with them?

Don't overthink it. It can be tempting to write a novel for your review, because there is a lot to cover, but keep it concise. Focus on the elements you really want to highlight. Also, very important, be objective. You're not being asked to avoid flaws about a device and highlight only the good things. If you have a complaint, don't hesitate to mention it. Pros and cons are both welcome.
    @KeepTransisting, OnePlus 7 Pro

Keep the review detailed yet try to tell a story that connects with the community and other tech enthusiasts. Pictures speak 1000 words and it's good to remember to include them throughout your review. However, be sure to leverage the OnePlus assets provided in order to refine your images before submitting your review. It keeps it clean and well-rounded overall.
    @Drewbikscube, OnePlus 6T​

Why should people enter The Lab (aside from the chance to get a free phone)?

The harder question would be "Why shouldn't you enter?" The Lab is an awesome experience. If you are chosen, you'll meet new people, make new friends and have the chance to experience what it's like to be a real Tech Reviewer. (And of course, get a free phone, which is always a plus!) All you have to do is write a short 250-word piece to enter. Take 30 minutes and write up a quick response, edit it and perfect it, but remember to keep that personal touch. If you have any interest in tech at all I say go for it, what have you got to lose?
    @matthu.2711, OnePlus 7 Pro

The Lab is not only about getting a free phone, it is about the experience. It is a responsibility and an opportunity to get into the shoes of a tech reviewer, getting your hands on the latest stuff before anyone else in the world!
    It gives you a whole new perspective of looking at a smartphone. Your review will impact a reader's decision and help them make an informed choice. If you think that you can produce a compelling, well balanced review all while keeping it unbiased you should definitely apply.
    @YRJ, OnePlus 7T

The people! I've said this before and I will continue to say so, the people you will get to meet and share experiences with.
    I kept contact with many users I've met through contests and lab editions. This is what I most appreciate from the experience, having the trust of OnePlus, having the trust of the users (it really hit home when I saw some users say "I'll wait to Dunnow's opinions before buying") you are informing, and having contact with other like-minded people, who share the passion and love for tech, OnePlus or any other related thing to your preferences.
    Enjoy it and really push as much as you can the device so we all get a nice insight and reference from you guys!
    @Dunnow, OnePlus 6​

Can you tell us a bit about your personal experience as a Lab reviewer?

Having had the opportunity to take part in something I never knew I would win, was an awesome experience. Not only did I get a chance to review a product and express my thoughts to everyone in the community, it also resulted in becoming good friends with awesome members like @FlixbusLennart.
    It was quite a challenge to write the review, as I had to mix it in with my internship back then. Especially the camera part, as it was already dark before arriving at home. As I'm a very critical person, I was surprised about all the positive comments I received. It made me proud of what I had worked on and inspired me to continue writing.
    @Its.Leandroo, OnePlus 6

It was a great experience to be a part of the LAB. LAB for 7T Series is a little different and we had to win it. It was evident that OnePlus respects honest opinions and not sugar-coated content for the LAB.
    Trust me, you'll feel privileged to say you're The LAB Reviewer.
    @BobbyV8_, OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren​

Did I pique your interest? You can also read the article about The Lab that was published on our first edition of Addition Magazine, now available on additionmag.com.

So, what are you waiting for? Join now!

2. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 26, 2020

Stickied Post
    luigimario , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Hola @dsmonteiro, some more advisory words for your thread :p

Users such as yourself are now submitting their applications to become the next wave of Lab reviewers. What writing tips can you share with them?
    Make it personal, and have a target audience in mind. Adding your personality to the review (whether your sense of humour or attention to detail etc.) helps people to connect with you and helps convey the authenticity of your review.

Know who you are writing the review for. Is it for anyone in general, photo enthusiasts, gamers, power users, or just an average user? Do have some general review material in there to cover the basics but if you're a heavy gamer, state that at the beginning that your review is catered to gamers. The gamers out there that want a "pro" opinion on their main interest in the phone will want to see your review! If they are concerned about photography, they will spend more time looking at a photography centered review etc.

What? Free swag isn't enough of a reason?! But seriously, it's a great chance to challenge yourself to write something comprehensive, coherent, and complete (and practice alliteration apparently). You get to work on and polish a piece of writing on a topic that you love and you get to share it with other enthusiasts that are looking for your first-hand experience. It's also a great way to connect with people in the community and you get to know other reviewers even better as you collaborate on your reviews, getting tips, opinions, and help from each other (right @Drewbikscube and @Shivang Joshi ?) And at the end of the period, as a reward for all your hard work (and there is a lot of work), you get to keep the marvelous piece of kit you spent the better part of a month reviewing and answering questions on!

In the 6T lab, I didn't apply for the position, I was chosen from a contest. I had no aspirations to be a Lab reviewer but I am so glad I was given the opportunity. I don't consider myself a power user or heavy gamer, I marketed my review as "a review by an average user". I went into detail about the daily uses and functions of the 6T that an average person would want to know about, things not listed in the specs or marketing materials.

I got to know a couple of my fellow reviewers a little better because I had to ask for help with Photoshop graphic designs for my thread, but they were so kind and helpful. We were all a team and part of the community and that was just as good a feeling as being able to provide an honest opinion for people and answering questions they had after the review was posted. My advice, if you get chosen, throw yourself into your review and you will get just as much out of it (and more) as anyone who reads your review.

3. Dhruv Weaver
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Mar 26, 2020

Stickied Post
    Dhruv Weaver , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Hey, everyone! I’m a little late to the party but here are some thoughts from me:

Users are now submitting their applications to become the next wave of Lab reviewers. What writing tips can you share with them?

Just write your thoughts. Good and bad. That's the point! Speak your mind about the product, but make sure to do so in a way that engages with the reader. Keep in mind that people might not have as much time to read through your whole review; try to organize it clearly and be concise. This doesn't mean you should be lazy though. You should try to strike a balance between being thorough yet succinct. A great way to do all of this and enhance it is with the inclusion of images. You don't need to be the worlds greatest photographer, I'm certainly not, and you don't need to have the fanciest gear. Just take some photos with an old phone or a point and shoot. But regardless of the quality (although you should strive for the best you can make) images are a great way to draw in the reader and by referencing images, you as a writer can make it much easier on yourself when you're explaining things.

I think that anyone and everyone who has an interest in technology and/or the OnePlus Community should enter. There's no harm in doing so. The worst that could happen is that you don't get selected for this batch of The Lab. No harm done. And if you are selected, it truly is one of the best experiences you could have. Yeah, you get a free phone, but that's hardly the best part. The people you meet are fantastic; my group still talks almost everyday about the things that we're passionate about. You get to meet people with totally different experiences, perspectives, nationalities, knowledge, and so much more. And you get all sorts of exposure and experience in the tech community.

My experience as a Lab reviewer has been fantastic. It was an incredible opportunity to be a part of the product cycle for the OnePlus 7 Pro. If I remember correctly, we were all originally contacted about a week or two before the launch and that alone was very exciting. Once our devices were delivered to us it was full steam ahead with the review process; testing it in different scenarios, pushing it to the limits, and trying out the camera for all sorts of photography and videography. Like most of you, I had never reviewed a device on a public platform. If anything, I had only given recommendations to friends and family, not full reviews. This really was an amazing experience. And again, if you’re at all interested in this, I say go for it!

And one more question from me (for myself): What does it mean to be a Lab reviewer?

The best part about this whole thing is that once your review is out, your job as a Lab participant isn't over! Your forum username will always have “The Lab - OnePlus Phone Reviewer” attached to it. You have a voice that people pay attention to here on the forums and have a unique insight into the nature of not just some of the inner workings of OnePlus but the industry as a whole. And if you're as enthusiastic as I am about these things, you will enjoy this just as much. Your knowledge and experience can make you quite helpful to people on the forums. And while you shouldn't misuse it, you also have a great amount of credibility to the point where you may even be asked to help write articles for the forums or answer questions like these for future groups of The Lab! I truly can't recommend it enough.

4. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    FlixbusLennart , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Wassup, bit late to the party, but here's mine from OnePlus 6 times!

The best tip that I can give you is to just be yourself. Do not try to be the next MKBHD or Mrwhosetheboss. Just say what you want to say, how you want to say it. Be critical, be excited, always stay honest. Do not be shy to concentrate on your strenghts. One tip for the application process is that you should produce a text that stands out in some way. The team is reading thousands of applications, so make sure that yours is one to remember. If you are a camera guy, talk about that. If you are heavily into gaming, focus on that topic. Anything, pretty much, can be your specialty. Just do not be lame.
    Also, format your text properly!

Apart from the free phone, The Labis all about the interaction with the Community. Community, in this case, means:
    A) The people who got the chance to be in The Lab as well - your fellow reviewers. If you want to make new friends within the OnePlus bubble, this is the way to go.
    B) The people on the forums and social media who read the reviews and ask you questions that they simply cannot get answered by a big tech reviewer. You will see how thankful other users will be for some honest and maybe even niche feedback and that's the best feeling.

I took part in the OnePlus 6 Lab. It was a great time. The anticipation of getting to feel like a real reviewer was super exciting. When the phone arrived, everyone in the group chat was super hyped about the days to come. The following days, you will notice one behavior: You won't let go of the phone. The job of reviewers in The Lab is to test their brand new handsets. You will have more images in your camera roll than ever before, you will download more games to your phone than ever before and you will very likely focus on the little things that make the product so special. Sure, in the end, The Lab is a marketing tool. But it's a marketing tool that is, first and foremost, a lot of fun for yourself. Think of The Lab as a two-weeks bootcamp, where you and a handful of other people have a great time together. In the evening, you will see yourself writing too much text because it's all so exciting. I can recommend it!

drl431, Bouncer71, manuel19 and 5 others like this.
  5. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 26, 2020

G_plusone , Mar 26, 2020 :
    It would be Nice to revisit the Lab Threads during the launch/lockdown time :) ;)

6. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 26, 2020

YRJ , Mar 26, 2020 :
    You definitely did :D
    I sooo want to apply again :p

7. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Mar 26, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 26, 2020 :
    I already submitted my form! so excited for this! I hope I get picked!!!

@dsmonteiro if it wasn't a full 250 words because I thought you guys wanted shorter rather then longer should I do it again?

8. dsmonteiro

Approximately 250 words means it can be slightly less or slightly more. What matters is the quality of what you wrote. ;)

9. MosheG1

I included pictures and videos of things I've done... I feel like I could have been more eloquent with my words... should I submit again?

10. TheBlitz7
    Froyo Mar 26, 2020

TheBlitz7 , Mar 26, 2020 :
    I personally read many reviews before buying a product. To be a Tech Reviewer for a new phone and inform people about a possible feature purchase appeals the most to me!

11. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 26, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Great compendium of stories and tips. Those who will be part of the lab I'm sure they'll enjoy it a lot!! I love how the usual main perk of this kind of activities is always the people you meet.

Great evening read, thank you guys!!

12. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 26, 2020

Starcommander , Mar 26, 2020 :
    You didn't reply me when I asked u in dm...
    I am hurt 😭

13. dsmonteiro

Sorryyyyy, so many PMs these days. Can you please bump it? I will reply ASAP.

14. dsmonteiro

Can't really help you with that, as I don't know what you submitted. Pictures and videos are a great help, though.

15. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 26, 2020

Naaah monty.. It's really fine. :p
    I was just pulling your leg. Sorry for that!

I pm'd Zach after you.
    @Zach X. replied me and my doubt was cleared.

Again sorry 🙏

16. MosheG1

thanks anyway! sorry if I'm bothering you so much I just really really really want to do this! I've always wanted to be a tech reviewer and this is my chance!

17. dsmonteiro

If I was able to, so can you! ;)

18. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 26, 2020

I hope corona is not the end of the world. 😭😔

20. MosheG1

hope so! [e]1f604[/e]
    I won't let it! not till I get to review this phone!!!

21. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Mar 26, 2020

Cheetosdust , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Thank you for the thread, @dsmonteiro.

Good luck awesome people. To me, everyone who participates in The Lab is a hero. That's just a rule. :cool:

As I was saying, there's an exception to every rule. :D

Bouncer71, cdnfarmer, Dunnow and 7 others like this.
  22. dsmonteiro

Wouldn't mind reading a review by you. Too afraid of being rejected to apply?

23. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Mar 26, 2020

camohan , Mar 26, 2020 :
    This is surely a motivation.

I gave up on Question no 2 on creativity point.

I guess I should give it a shot.