The Truth about OnePlus Nord

1. abhi9930
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

abhi9930 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Kudos to the OnePlus Marketing team! Well done boys!!

It's time for some facts.

ONEPLUS NORD IS NOTHING BUT A SUBPAR MID-RANGE PHONE CREATED OUT OF LEFT OVER PARTS AND/OR UNDESIRED SPARE PARTS

Less than a year ago, In September 2019, OnePlus launched the 7T which was, in my opinion a perfect balance between value for money and specs on board. After the launch of OnePlus 7T my trust in OnePlus was restored and I fell in love with a OnePlus phone once again!!

OnePlus actually heard what people wanted. There was a new haptic motor in the 7T, lower pricing,smaller notch and almost everything what we wanted!!

Those were the days!

Fast forward to second half of 2020, Around this time of the year I look forward to seeing leaks of the T (6T, 7T) variants of OnePlus flagship devices but instead I'm hearing about new beginnings, a new budget mid range phone named the NORD. After reading up about it and seeing the specs, I was pretty excited for the Nord. So I went ahead and pre-ordered it without actually knowing the price, what the phone looked like or anything for that matter.

On 21st July, I actually got to see the phone and the price and everything else. Much to my disappointment, I wasn't impressed! I heard so many things about new beginnings and going back to roots but in reality, OnePlus took a step back.

DESIGN
    In the age of metal and glass designs, Nord has a Plastic frame(with a metallic finish) and metal buttons. No headphones jack, no expandable storage, no stereo speakers, nothing, nada.

OnePlus has been boasting about putting 6 cameras in the OnePlus, So, Let's talk about the "QUAD" camera. Half of them are useless. Why are cameras being mentioned in the design section you ask?

Almost half of the cameras are just there to make the Nord look like a Flagship.

It does come with a beautiful 90hz OLED display but meh. Meh because the display will always be held back by the sub-par innards. Read on to understand about the Sub-Par innards

SPECS - Sub-par Innards
    Instead of UFS 3 storage standard, OnePlus Nord gets a UFS 2.1 storage standard. What that means is that no matter how much RAM you put into it, it'll always struggle with storage/data heavy applications. FYI, UFS 2.1 also affects the launch time of the camera app.

It comes with the "latest" Snapdragon 765G processor, which is not only inferior to Snapdragon 865 but also inferior to last year's SD 855!!

In the age of Stereo speakers, Nord comes with a pathetic tiny mono speaker, which MKBHD describes as better than not having a speaker at all.

The amazing haptic motor is also gone! Even last year's OnePlus 7T gets it.

Cameras

Here we go, OnePlus has been boasting about putting 6 cameras in the OnePlus, So, Let's talk about the "QUAD" camera. The Nord comes with 48 MP Sony IMX586 image sensor, identical to the one in OP 8, but that doesn't mean it has identical performance.

Nord's camera experience isn't as good as the OnePlus 8's, or even yesteryear's OP 7T. Let's talk a look at all the sensors one by one.

Primary sensor's performance is in the same league as other OP flagships of 2020 but rest of the cameras are just sub-par and add no value to the camera experience.

Ultrawide camera lacks the resolution to match the quality of the primary camera in a wider field of view.

2MP macro camera is unnecessary and it's just there to increase the count of camera.

You ask why? In OP8 and other OP phones, with macro cameras, the camera app automatically switches to the macro camera as soon as you try to click close shots. The 2MP sensor on the Nord is so bad that the camera app doesn't switch to it when you try to click close-ups. So even OnePlus knew that the 2MP macro camera is useless.

Depth Camera is also unnecessary. The Nord delivers the same images with or without the depth sensor.

Please refer the MKBHD's video, attached at the end of this post, for more details about the camera.

Conclusion:

THE TRUTH ABOUT ONEPLUS NORD IS THAT ONEPLUS NORD IS JUST AN EXCUSE FOR THE OVERPRICED UPCOMING PHONES(8T and 8T PRO). IT'S JUST A WAY TO COVER THEIR BEHINDS.

IT FEELS LIKE A CULMINATION OF ALL THE USELESS LEFTOVER PARTS AT THE BBK ELECTRONICS FACTORY. DONT BELIEVE ME? TAKE A LOOK AT VIVO X50 AND THE REALME X3.

Infact, even the Realme X3 gets a SD855+, UFS 3.0, 120 hz LCD IPS panel, almost the same camera array and a lot more at a lower price tag.

On top of it, the pre-order was a joke and unlike the rest of the world, In India customers who pre-ordered the phone didn't get an invite code and the rest of the world OP buds with the pre-order but Indians got 2-3 generations old OP Bullets Wireless and later on, when people were outraged they added the OP Bullets Wireless Z.

Here are reviews from MKBHD and JerryRigsEverything.

2. SamyBoff
    Eclair Jul 28, 2020

SamyBoff , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Well, you got a good summary of MKBHD flaw points of the OnePlus Nord. I am comparing it to other phones on the same price, but the added value of Oxygen OS (I really hope they fix the fingerprint and LED notifications, since they actually put a Fluid AMOLED display...). Still love it

3. isty
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2020

isty , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Well, let's see how it behaves in normal life. If it's not up to the minimum expectations, we still have 15 days for RMA.

4. Nelgalisil
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

Nelgalisil , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I respect everyone opinions and reviews. However i will be the user. Only i can decide. If like it will keep, if not return

5. _Masa_
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

_Masa_ , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I was never expecting a "flagship-killer" phone. That would be counterintuitive and devalue OnePlus' attempt to break into the flagship market. I am a little disappointed by some of the cutbacks they've made, however. I really don't think it would have killed them to include an aluminium frame to improve the structural integrity of the device. I would have gladly sacrificed one of the weaker cameras for it.
    However, it all comes down to how this affects my real-world usage. If there turns out to be any dealbreakers in term of performance or hardware, I will take advantage of the RMA process.

6. isty

sanjaykrishna144 likes this.
  7. _Masa_
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

_Masa_ , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Then sacrifice 5G. It's not even going to have widespread coverage here until 2022.

8. isty

manuel19 and sanjaykrishna144 like this.
  9. subbu8723@gmail.
    Eclair Jul 28, 2020

10. iharshjjain

11. abhi9930
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

No way! The OP X was a proper mid ranger with a flagship processor.

12. nottusleinad
    Eclair Jul 28, 2020

nottusleinad , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I guess I'd better sell my Mercedes E Class because the S Class has better speakers ?

It is a MID-RANGE phone... with mid-range specs - what were you honestly expecting ?
    I love the NORD - it's exactly what I want in a phone at that price... an excellent screen, a camera (or cameras) that are better than my current OP6T, 5G (we have 5G coverage now where I live), excellent software, all from a brand that I have been loyal to since the OP1.

The NORD has been launched to fill the gap left behind the OP8 and OP8 Pro - a phone with 'good enough' specs at half the price of the flagship phones. It is to compete with the iPhone SE and Pixel 4a, not the Samsung S20 Ultra, and it smashes the SE out of the park on nearly every feature comparison (the iPhone wins on water-resistance, but not much else TBH).

Buy it, or don't buy it, but don't try and make other people do the same... that's an Apple trait.

:)

hamizckm, ascovit, Shortfall and 4 others like this.
  13. abhi9930
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

I very well know that it's a mid range phone but it is in no way worthy enough to fill the "gap" left behind the OP 8 or any other OP phones.

The OP 7T is more worthy of filling the "Gap" and was the last customer centric OP phone in my opinion.

14. Beast✓
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

Beast✓ , Jul 28, 2020 :
    So now reality is with us... Have been telling this since the day of launch. It's just oneplus is playing with its reputation and trying to move their desk to the $1000+ category model to compete with Apple's and Samsung.

And they wanted to fill the gap of Low price model with high spec. But it miserable failed with launch. With cheap product, with Camera and 5g gimmick.

This strategy was a double edged sword, where is tried to be successful in both the category but instead the New nord gonne trouble its reputation and mid range as well as high end.

So @Carl instead of making new products with high price every year just why not concentrate on the original moto of the company.

With the changed mindset of the companies owner i am thinking to stay away from oneplus device for good 4-5 years until the owner @Carl realised the error he has made.

15. Beast✓
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

Beast✓ , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Don't be that loyal to the brand which is using loyal customer to mint the money by brain washing them. Just research before. Don't blindly believe in everything

abhi9930 likes this.
  16. Robxxx7
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2020

Robxxx7 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    tldr
    bought a phone last year and cost too much ..got the hump cos this is cheaper

palc, ascovit and nottusleinad like this.
  17. QubitKum
    Eclair Jul 28, 2020

QubitKum , Jul 28, 2020 :
    What other options we got for below features(in this price segment?)
    1. Fluid OLED + 90 hz display
    2. Beautiful OS + Updates
    3. Good design with less bezels
    4. Decent other specs day to day usage
    Options:
    • OnePlus 7T -- 8000 more than Nord(26% costlier, with which entry smartphone be bought) + Lower Battery + Duedrop Notch
    • Realme X2 Pro --> 8000 more + Stupid OS + Duedrop Notch
    • Redmi K20 Pro --> Stupid MIUI + ~2 yrs old
    • Realme X3 S.Zoom --> LCD Panel + Stupid OS
    • iPhone SE --> Stupd Panel+ Worst Battery + Costlier (Better Ecosystem tho)

What went wrong with Nord:
    1. Overhype increased expectations of masses
    2. Messed up Promotions(India esp) --> Preorder 5000 worth benefits not given + No Assured gifts for AR Invites + Unnecessary extra cams
    3. Yes there are cuts (Else this wont be called midranger)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020

18. mangatinanda
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2020

mangatinanda , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I was looking to buy a phone in this price segment 15-25K range for my not so tech savvy fiancee. Wasn't happy with the existing ones... So waited for nord and pre ordered it though I have seen all of these bad reviews.

My main selling points:
    Oxygen OS(I hate bloatware to the core)
    90Hz amoled
    Warp charge

I am not getting any other points. I agree with all of your points but I just feel there is no better alternative if you see it as a overall package.

Definitely not the best of what we expect from OnePlus. @getpeid

19. ascovit
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

ascovit , Jul 28, 2020 :
    From what I read, you're frustrated you didn't get a flagship €1000+ phone for the price you paid. You knew all the specs yet you still went through with buying it and now complain it's not a rebadged 8 Pro, it seems. For the price, it delivers on par or better than all the competitors. So what's your point? Don't buy a midrange phone because you'll get midrange performance and build? Yet your expectations were those of a flagship experience. Pathetic

20. Deepakmudaraddi
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

Shortfall likes this.