The Truths of Smartphone Wars

1. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    In light of the recent Apple keynote, it was inevitable that users of both iOS and Android would jump to defend the honor of their operating system of choice. Typically the arguments for either or are rather simple: "Android is better, iPhone sucks!", or "iPhone is superior, Android is junk!".

It's 100% true that iOS devices have adopted certain features that Android has had for sometime. It's also true that Android phones seem to have specifications passing far beyond the iPhone. However, it hardly matters.

The typical iPhone buyer is wanting a premium phone "that just works" while Android buyers typically like the increased flexibility and customization that the iPhone just cannot match. So whats the war about?

If you match an iPhone up against any of the Android flagships, performance differences are NEGLIGIBLE. It is absolutely absurd to think that numbers on a page tell the entire story of how a device will perform in the real world. The performance verdict? Who cares, most flagships are plenty fast enough that you won't notice any performance problems.

Design? Personal preference. Not everyone is going to like what you like. Stop pushing the device you support on other people.

Operating system? Who cares. iOS is so simple that it's practically fool proof. Android is highly customizable so no devices are the same. In the end, it doesn't matter. Both operating systems have their pros and cons. Both companies borrow back and forth from each other. Look at the flat design of Android L. COMPETITION IS GOOD.

Price? The OnePlus One is significantly cheaper out of contract than iPhone. Does this make iPhone bad? Certainly not. Apple has been can charge that much money because people will buy it. It's that simple. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it's overpriced. If you can't afford an Aston Martin or a Ferrari does that mean they're overpriced? Of course not!

In conclusion, anybody who says that iPhone is better than Android or vice versa, you're being silly. Appreciate what both sides have to offer and make an informed decision for yourself. If you are one of the fools slamming people for the smartphone they use I feel bad for you. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you have to attack their personal choices.

LEXXIUS, Sim_80, davecgc and 21 others like this.
  2. Reflect Stratos
    KitKat Sep 10, 2014

3. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

ScioN and devon28 like this.
  4. Poetrycyborg
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2014

Poetrycyborg , Sep 10, 2014 :
    To paraphrase: Be yourself. Everyone is different and likes different things for different reasons. Bottom line its a phone

Sim_80, Francois0408, Stew2 and 7 others like this.
  5. timmaaa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2014

6. Reflect Stratos
    KitKat Sep 10, 2014

Reflect Stratos , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Lop man take a joke!!! I read everything and yes, I agree. Of I had the cash, I'd have a pretty blue M8 in my hands. But it's true that some people just follow a brand because everyone else does. That's why we make fun of them!!! But you have nice points, unfortunately, people will still ramble forever as long as there's opposing brands.

7. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Thank you for this. This sums it up nicely.

Poetrycyborg likes this.
  8. Jamestagal
    Gingerbread Sep 10, 2014

Jamestagal , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Hear, hear, I totally agree with your point of view. I haven't used a iphone but that's because of price but I'm sure they work just fine. I like competition too!

9. Amrrock12
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

10. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    You're ultimately right, I don't expect to change people's minds on the matter. It's nice to be passionate about things you enjoy, but it's too much when people make attacks on others' choices.

LEXXIUS and Reflect Stratos like this.
  11. Spectre51
    Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

Spectre51 , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Well said, unfortunately the fanboys will not care and still bash either platform.

LEXXIUS likes this.
  12. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Android is certainly the way to go for customization! Not everyone values that in a smartphone, however.

BellaAvu likes this.
  13. Deactivated User
    Sep 10, 2014

14. Yagami Raito
    Honeycomb Sep 10, 2014

Yagami Raito , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Was this a self-reflection piece? Because I always thought most people knew and understood the info out just shared. We just enjoy saying one is better than the other for fun and well, it is a consumer culture habit. :D

Never really saw it as an argument. We obviously have different choices and preferences. :)

15. Diesel66
    Eclair Sep 10, 2014

Diesel66 , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Get your reasonable sounding, well thought out post with perfect grammar out of here! Let me feel good about my own choices damnit!

:) *bravo* OP

Spectre51 likes this.
  16. devon28
    Jelly Bean Sep 10, 2014

devon28 , Sep 10, 2014 :
    I haven't customised my iPhone or OPO much at all. I'm happy with my relatively stock situation.

Spectre51 likes this.
  17. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Some people certainly just exchange info about each, but some are just blind to one side or another.

Spectre51 likes this.
  18. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    I'm the same way. I like the stock look myself.

devon28 likes this.
  19. Dimach
    Froyo Sep 10, 2014

Dimach , Sep 10, 2014 :
    Even with the book I've written on the matter, I'm happy to say my OnePlus One will be arriving tomorrow. I really enjoy trying out the new flagships as they come out. That being said, the iPhone 6 is just what I expected from Apple. No disappointments from either side.

Spectre51 and devon28 like this.
  20. ScioN
    Eclair Sep 10, 2014

ScioN , Sep 10, 2014 :
    While I agree for the most part, on each person being different, I think I have to disagree with your use of your point though. I mean depending on what you're looking for in a phone there will be a "better". The war between the c two.... I think we are getting to a point where you will see one brand holding the title for periods of time across. With the iPhone adoption of android features and vice versa. Once they are basically the same software it will all come down to hardware specs and the optimization between it and software which , iOS has a good headstart on. With all that said(I feel like I jumped around and missed my own point) I would just like to say I'm always going to go with open source freedom.....ANDROID!!!!! WOOT LOL

That's just my opinion though. I think your post was well thought out

tpetrov likes this.