The Ultimate Android 5.1.1 Power User Thread

1. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Lets make 5.1.1 the best OS you have ever runned.

If you don't have an unlocked bootloader, this thread is not for you. You are not a power user if you don't have an unlocked bootloader.

WARNING:
    I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong. It is your device and anything you do, is at your own risk.

Dialer (COS 12.1 users):
    Many people dislike the new DialerNext app. As such, I have modified a Google Dialer zip to delete the DialerNext app and replace the dialer with Google's Dialer. Download here and flash with a custom recovery.

Spotty Mobile Data (Updated):
    This issue has plagued multiple issues on many ROMs, not just COS 12.1. In fact, users on CM 12.1, Exodus, Slim-based ROMs, etc have complained of this problem. The issue lies with the new 241 baseband. To fix, you must do the following:
    1. Make sure you are on TWRP 2.8.6.0 (not 2.8.7.0). If you need to downgrade, you can use the TWRP app or simply flash TWRP 2.8.6.0 inside 2.8.7.0.
    2. Then flash this 44S modem from KitKat.
    3. Since the above WILL break the proximity sensor, you must flash this patch (ignore the fact that it says 5.0.2, it will work on 5.1.1 too)
      • If Proximity sensor still does not work or if gyroscope breaks, clearing cache may help.
    Re-Root:
    Flash this zip in TWRP. Yes, it is that easy.

Battery:
    First of all, if you are experiencing spotty mobile data, you must fix that. If you don't, your battery life will be awful since it is constantly searching for a stable connection. Look at the above fix before you continue reading.

• Kernel for battery saving:
      • Flash AK Kernel (current build AK303)
      • Flash UKM 3.8.4.0 (ignore the fact that is was made for an older release)
      • Download and Flash this build.prop file
      • Once your phone reboots with the above already flashed, download and install this app.
      • Now download this popular profile
      • Use an App like ES File Explorer or even the CM File Explorer to copy the tgz file from the download folder to "/sdcard/synapse/saved_profiles"
      • Open Synapse> go to the profile tab> scroll down> hit restart synapse> when the app relaunches, go to the profile tab again> select the StyloKing profile> Hit the checkmark on the top right> When the checkmark disappears, select restore profile> When the app restarts, hit the X button on the top right (I know this is counterintuitive but, I did not make the app).
      • Finally, restart the phone.

• Install Xposed (info on how to install this below) and then install and activate the Amplify Donate Edition module. -- You won't have all these Alarms. If you don't have a particular alarm, don't worry and go to the next item of the list!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

2. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    • Disable useless services:
      • Download and install MyAndroidTools
      • Disable the following services:

Apply an AMOLED profile to give you that premium feel:
    If you have not yet installed AK kernel, as mentioned above, now is the time to do so.

Xposed:
    This is like the MobileSubstate (seen on iOS) for Android. To install, flash this via TWRP, boot into system and install this APK.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

3. webdevgirl Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle likes this.
  4. dizzle16 Jelly Bean Aug 29, 2015

5. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

robust1972 likes this.
  6. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Ok, this thread is now finalized. If you have any tweaks/suggestions, please tag me below.

sbhat3 and bobbybabaletskOS like this.
  7. ravi9055 Eclair Aug 29, 2015

ravi9055, Aug 29, 2015 :
    tried the steps to get rid of Spotty Mobile Data: - after that lost my root,
    so i had to flash another SuperSU to get it back. will keep wifi off tonight and test the results.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle likes this.
  8. mikeszekely Froyo Aug 29, 2015

mikeszekely, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Props, @bgizzle

So, can someone braver than I who's already flashed the custom Google dialer lemme know how it's working out for them? Really not a fan of the new dialer, but I can't afford to screw up my phone right now.

sbhat3, DoitJ1 and A.S like this.
  9. mymutatedmind Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

10. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    I modified the zip and it has been tested by many people including @bikas.

mikeszekely likes this.
  11. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

12. mikeszekely Froyo Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle likes this.
  13. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    You should have not loss root. Oh well, easy to fix.

14. mymutatedmind Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

mymutatedmind, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Screenshot of your battery life with all these settings..
    How much so you get.. So we can draw a reference line to compare

15. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Expect 7-8 hours SOT :p. I am just sharing knowledge. I don't actually run COS :p.

aminul and mymutatedmind like this.
  16. mymutatedmind Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2015

mymutatedmind, Aug 29, 2015 :
    Hehe lol
    I've tried everything btw.. Exodus cos12 cos12.1 bliss pop broken...
    For the folk with mobile radio active and all 5.1 roms and any kernel.. (I use AK mostly with styloking and sometimes virtuous three profile) - idle drain over night is about 15 %
    BUT on stock COS 12 with AK kernel (AK 237 works well) idle drain is almost 5%overnight
    Was wondering if it was the sane case with cos 12.1 as well..

17. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 30, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 30, 2015 :
    Try the amplify module to eliminate your wakelocks.

mymutatedmind likes this.
  18. Miguel Quezada Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

19. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 30, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 30, 2015 :
    Nope. It won't flash the modem.

Miguel Quezada likes this.
  20. Miguel Quezada Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2015

Miguel Quezada, Aug 30, 2015 :
    Just did it and flashed both zips ok!... now hope it works like you say!... thanks, will report back