The ultra instinct finishes off the last pretender to the thrown: Touch Wiz is King

1. malidan
    Nougat May 29, 2020

malidan , May 29, 2020 :
    Loads of clap trap about best UI and stuff but there can only be one that Leads With Speed and the Ultra Instinct has burried everything in sight.
    Njoy🤔 or Not🤕

No fancy taglines just one word says it all ULTRA.( in all aspects )

2. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 29, 2020 :
    Nice video over there [e]1f60f[/e]. Has Samsung fixed autofocus problem with the ultra? Unfortunately, in my country the S20 series on snapdragon is automatically overpriced by retailers. It costs too much in comparison with exynos units. Under no circumstances would I ever buy Samsung on exynos.

3. malidan
    Nougat May 29, 2020

malidan , May 29, 2020 :
    Improved is what i have heard reviewers say, there seem to be a fair fee phones with this issue this year.
    As far as the Exynos is concerned it will be alot better than people have made out as app optimisation improves on the platform, the point incase being Fortnite on the iPhones was taking 2 mins to load unoptimised.
    You won't see any Youtube reviwers returning to see what the difference is a few months down the road as there is click value for factual long term testing.

Check this out, on the performance run the difference between the two Samsungs is smaller than the difference between the
    Samsung and the OP using the same SOC.

So how bad is the Exynos in the real world and not synthetics?

Last edited: May 29, 2020

ilovesoneplus likes this.
  4. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 30, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 30, 2020 :
    Not really. Here is the gaming comparison, where one can see the throttling brave heart of exynos 990 in comparison with other socs.

Also there is a pretty informative and well done comparison of Galaxy S20+ on snapdragon and exynos, however it's again in russian. The results were terrific for the exynos unit.

On YouTube almost nobody does a really DEEP analysis of the same Galaxy S20 phones with different socs. All the English made videos look pretty childish and unprofessional.

5. malidan
    Nougat May 31, 2020

malidan , May 31, 2020 :
    All unoptimised as it always is every year for the first few months, just like it is with the Kirin.
    Have you ever seen Fortnite load unoptimised on the iPhone?
    Did you see how smooth Fortnite was when it was released in partnership, it ran better and cooler than it did on the SD platform. ;)

I bet you none of these reviewers will revisit it, as there are no clicks for that. ;)

6. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 31, 2020 :
    Actually this's not just about it. The throttling in Exynos 990 is fact. In that video one can see that in the CPU throttling test Exynos 9820 shows higher GPS score and less throttling than Exynos 990. GPU throttling test shows MUCH higher frames score and less throttling for the Exynos 9820 (you can find it on video between 27:43 - 28:50). If you want, I can give you time codes and explanation of what is going in.

So what's that? It proves that Exynos 990 has really deep problems in the architecture, in the scheduling: it decreases its cpu frequency in just a few minutes, after it notices even a minimum temperature rise. You don't feel the 240hz touch sampling rate thanks to the constant fps decrease (any game feels tugged, no full control over the game), frame drops are insane. That's not OK, snapdragon soc is much more balanced.

Why should I pay more for the 8/128 Galaxy S20+ on shitty EXYNOS without 5G, without silicon case in the box, when the Hong Kong version is sold for a less price in their country and with much better specs and overall performance/daily usage experience? On top of that the Exynos unit uses Samsung's ISOCELL camera sensor, meanwhile Sony's sensor is used in the snapdragon based, which is better. And nodody tells about it on public. I should find that out by watching comparisons and tests. Samsung doesn't respect its customers

All those speed tests show nothing, exactly they're useless in the real life. Numerous THROTTLING tests are a must, not hese childish like tests. Btw all those antutu, geekbench tests are useless with magical numbers, unless you do each of them in a row for like 5-10 times to see how much the score changes.

Why would I need a 1-2 seconds faster launch of the game with the exynos soc, if this processor throttles like the devil himself? Nothing of that happens on snapdragon. Exynos 990 based Galaxy series is lagging in the daily tasks even in the interface, the battery life is terrible - it's like living with a power bank or near a socket. I can tell you that, 'cause my dad bought the S20+ on exynos and returned it back. And he did exchange the device at first, the problem was in the soc, not in the faulty unit.

The most funny thing was when you record a regular video (Not 8K) with it for a few minutes in the home conditions and you smartphone informs you, that cpu overheated and it would reboot itself. After that this piece of crap refused to open the camera app for 10 minutes. It seems funny, but in fact it used to be a disaster.

To respond to your words about the reviewers... The first reviewer is specified on mobile cpu/gpu deep architecture analysis and different tests (it was his first test video with game fps comparison and chart), watching him for a quite a long time. The second one does comparisons like that really frequently.

Never again for exynos based Galaxy phones, and pls don't get me wrong, everything is excellent on snapdragon units. They should stop selling exynos/snapdragon based flagships for the same price. Exynos MUST be a mid range soc with appropriate price.

7. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 31, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 31, 2020 :
    And regarding Fortnite... Recently due to a driver issue, all Samsung 9/10 series & Note devices were limited to 30 fps. And if you enable 60 fps option exactly on mentioned EXYNOS based phones, the real fps is limited to 30. Tim Sweeney looks into the very core of it[e]1f602[/e]

8. malidan
    Nougat May 31, 2020

malidan , May 31, 2020 :
    Your just saying what most have said based on synthetics that are not optimised for the Exynos.
    Watch a Tech ZG review he benchmarksnthe devices in the middle of his pwrformace reviwers and the OP always score 20k or more less, its exactly the same when Mrwhos does his in the middle and not from cold 20k less, that sounds like throttling on a SOC that recieves primary support.
    I have highlighted this many time on the forum.
    You saw the test and the Gap between the SD and Exynos S20 is smaller then the gap between the Ultra and the OP. This is in a real world scenario explain that.

What i want to see is the performance once app optimisation has caught up, i can tell you from now my Mate 20 Pro and P30 pro perform better on intensive games now then when i got them.

9. malidan
    Nougat May 31, 2020

malidan , May 31, 2020 :
    It would seem the devs on fornite optimse as incentivised, but i glad to see you mention a
    driver issue.
    As i said right at the top app optimisation per platform is the key. ;)

10. ASCHENTE_V , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Jun 1, 2020 :
    I don't care about OP, I said not a SINGLE word about it in my previous message, I don't care about 1+ win of fail in any speed test, 'cause all the speed tests are bullshit, and I don't want to discuss 1+.

The core of my message was the comparison of Galaxy S20 series on snapdragon and exynos, especially the S20+. Exynos based Galaxy S20+ throttles, it lags, it has poor battery life, no 5G modem in units sold in my country. Moving on, it uses Samsung ISOCELL camera, which is worse than Sony's sensor.

I saw the comparison of Ultra by Mrwhosetheboss, and it was really awful, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. In his video he demonstrates Antutu score after 3 rounds (one of the few good points in his video), where you can already see pretty high throttling by exynos. Give this soc 5-10 rounds in antutu and I bet, there would at least 50% decrease in score, but as you said it's not optimised, ok, let's forget about it.

Do you need real life usage? Sure, no problem, then I'll do time codes. The comparison is done between Galaxy S20+ on Snapdragon 865 (Hong Kong version with 5G) and Exynos 990 (4G)

1) ***1:05-1:56***. Shadowgun legends (ultra graphics of both devices) with fps and chart. Half an hour gameplay accelerated in 10 times. 32,6°C for snapdragon and 34,2°C for exynos at the beginning. 60 fps for both at the beginning, however frame drops are already visible for Exynos 990.
    After 2 minutes we got 60 fps - snapdragon, 46 fps - exynos, just look what a volatile chart on exynos.

10 minutes: 50 fps (which is lowest point on chart) - snapdragon, 26 fps - exynos (with constant frame drops below 26 fps);
    20 minutes: 50 fps - snapdragon, 26 fps - exynos.
    30 minutes: 50 fps (and it doesn't go below that point) - snapdragon, 22 fps - exynos (with constant volatile frame drop below even 20 fps). 45,8 °C -snapdragon, 41,5° C - exynos (Like I said it's afraid of getting hot, however still throttles)

2) ***4:30 - 9:09***. Charts: left one - exynos, right one - snapdragon. Besides fps, you can see frame time, cpu and gpu usage.

The first 5 minutes snapdragon version had 60 fps, then 50 fps was the lowest point till the end of the test. 52,3 was average fps for 33,34 minutes.
    Exynos had 30 fps as average for the whole , however if you look at 21:30 - 32:00 the average would be 22,7 fps. During the first minute exynos showed 56 fps (average), 60 fps it had only during the first 10 seconds [e]1f602[/e].

Frame time average for exynos was 33,3ms, if to take since 15 minute - 41,5ms. It's very volatile (33, 50, 100ms) according to the rate. Frames are constantly lost - gameplay looks tugged. GPU usage was taking rest occasionally (50% and below usage, while it gives 30fps, wtf?). After 11 minutes it loaded the gpu, however it was already too late - fps was already at the bottom (25 fps).

Frame time average for snapdragon was 19,1ms, it's very consistent. Its gpu usage was 93-100%, full using of resources. And when the throttling happened and 50 fps became the lowest point, the gpu used 100%. CPU was working perfectly as well.

Look once again at the charts, the exynos graph is very volatile, unstable and unoptimized. The problem lies not just in hardware, but also in drivers and scheduling. And now remember the 1st video, same shit on exynos by another person. Why should I pay for this piece of garbage?

3) ***11:05 - 15:21*** Call of Duty mobile. 3 stages-matches: flag capturing, duel and point capturing.

Snapdragon:

1st match - 60 fps average (no frame drops), 2nd match - 59,9 fps average (3-4 times frame drops: 54,9; 55,9 etc), 3d match - 59,5 fps average (several frame drops: 58; 44,9; 53; 47) with 16,8ms frame time.

Exynos:

1st match - 57,5 fps; 2nd match - 59,5 fps, 3rd match - 51,9 fps. Seems ok as for exynos, however let's take a look at 3rd match: stuttering happened repeatedly and constant frame drops (45,9; 44; 43,9; 56; 41,9; 38, 40; 36,9; 36; 38 - terrible for competitive shooter). At 3rd match brightness dropped - as you may know, one can't increase it manually in such cases. No brightness decreases in snapdragon. Wtf is wrong with that exynos soc?

1st match by exynos: lots of frame drops(47; 44,9; 42,9 - that's just the 1st match) however 57,5 fps as the average... 2nd match with duel map isn't very representative, however several frame drops with almost 10 fps decrease had its place.

The snapdragon chart (to the right) is once again very consistent, meanwhile exynos is volatile.

The GPU usage in snapdragon is primarily 50-60%, in exynos we got primarily 100%. It proves that snapdragon doesn't need full gpu usage to run this game at 60fps, when exynos does its best with horrible results.

4) ***15:32 - 15:47*** Look at the graphics, both run with ultra settings. No smoothing for exynos 990... Wtf? With such graphics we had constant frame drops...

5) ***19:29 - 21:40***. Pubg Mobile with GFX Tool at maximum settings. No concessions for exynos 🤗

Snapdragon:

30,2°C at the beginning, 42,1°C at the end. Since the match start snapdragon showed 60 fps till the very end [e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e]

Exynos:

Oh yeah... [e]1f449[/e][e]1f44c[/e]. 33°C at the beginning. Huge frame drops, volatile fps. 40 fps after 5 minutes. Less than 30 fps - 10 minutes. 22 fps - 13 minutes. At 40°C the brightness dropped, lol. 20 fps after 20 minutes - agony, it's dying🤣.

"Same socs" they said, "same performance" they claimed. SAME? WHAT? IS SAMSUNG KIDDING ME? [e]1f621[/e]🤬[e]1f621[/e] They can put this soc right in the ***.

6) ***22:52 - 23:50*** After each run this youtuber launched Sanuk map on both smartphones. After 25-30 minutes run in battle royale, he opened another map. That's how tests should be done. Same locations, but totally different behaviour... Exynos is lagging, awful responsiveness. 3 times difference in fps. Omg, sb kill him, don't make this exynos soc suffer.

7) ***24:25 - 25:20***. CPU Throttling test. Like you say, enjoy it or not, but this's for real. You said, that exynos is badly optimized in synthetics, then look, 'cause snapdragon is as well, however... 30 minutes and no concessions.

Exynos:
    Max: 135 Gips. Min: 93 Gips. Avg: 107.

Snapdragon:
    Max: 255 Gips. Min: 163 Gips. Avg: 211.

So, snapdragon under load and after throttling shows better results, than exynos in standard conditions.

Performance mode:

Exynos:
    Max: 162 Gips. Min: 106 Gips. Avg: 130.

Snapdragon:
    Max: 261 Gips. Min: 170 Gips. Avg 222.

8) ***25:21 - 26:30*** GPU throttling test in GFXBench, 29 times.

Exynos:

Max: 3682 frames, 60 fps.
    Min: 1300 frames. It used to throttle immediately, look at the chart and its incline.

Snapdragon:

Max: 3719
    Min: 3400

Do your math with the throttling percentage[e]1f601[/e]

Performance mode:

Exynos:

Max: 3612 frames, 60 fps.
    Min: 870 frames. Everything got worse, to the bottom.

Snapdragon:

Max: 3722
    Min: 3419. Nothing chaned

Frame time is terrible, look at the chart.

9) ***26:31 - 27:46*** Antutu (I don't like it, but he tried to make the throttling test).

Exynos:

1st run: 519k
    2nd run: 470k

Snapdragon:

1st run: 568k
    2nd run: 569k

He tried to do the third one, but the 3rd run on exynos based smartphone hung, so he stopped there. You can watch the same test my Mrwhosetheboss and calculate the 4th, 5th... Antutu is showing nothing and I agree, that this's bullshit, but it can still be useful for throttling test.

10) ***27:47 - 28:03***CPU throttling test with Galaxy S10+ based on exynos 9820. Just look at this.

Exynos 9820:

Max: 155. Min: 110. Avg: 131

Exynos 990 (numbers from the previous test)

Max: 135 Min: 93. Avg: 107. Worse than Exynos 9820, I have nothing to say.

11) ***28:04 - 28:50*** GPU throttling test with Galaxy S10+, destroying the Exynos 990.

Exynos 9820:

Max: 3540
    Min: 2300

Exynos 990:

Max: 3682
    Min: 1300

1000 frames = 16,6 fps. Exynos 990 sucks.

My conclusion: I don't care, where the pitfalls really are: drivers, optimization, cpu, gpu... If snapdragon shows itself MUCH better since the very launch, why should I even pay for the Exynos?

What's its value? Price? - It's more expensive in my case, I compare the price in my country and Hong Kong version in their country.
    Performance, daily usage experience, 5G, damn silicon case, cameras? - No, no, no, no and no. I don't wanna wait for half a year or more for this crap to be optimized, it anyway would be worse than snapdragon (fact). Make it mid range soc.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020

11. malidan
    Nougat Jun 1, 2020

malidan , Jun 1, 2020 :
    You said you dont care that the OP that has has A SNAPDRAGON 865 in it trotttled whilst testing on a benchmark yet you comeback with benchmarks? 😂😂😂😂

Come on man

I dont know why you posted all that after saying this
    And i have already said app optimisation is the key
    Watch tech utopia speed test he uses a app to comvery video that is not optimised for the Exynos, hemve even £200 phones complete the task quicker.
    He always states in his gaming videos thr Optimisation is not good on Exynos ans Kirin first up.
    Exynos and Kirin benchmark scores since Antutus first change in 2015, always stay the same for the year or get worse, i winder ehy that is with the improvements made by the OEMs.
    There maybe a differance between the 2 Samaung platforms, but as the tests i posted showed its smaller than first indicated and smaller than the gap between the Ultra and the OP on the same platform. ;)

Oh on the isocell i have never seen any device with the new Sony sensor beat an Ultra on any platform. :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020

12. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jun 1, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jun 1, 2020 :
    I came with the benchmarks only with the last tests[e]1f60f[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f604[/e]
    I was bored, that's why did that) I'll watch tech utopia and come back.