Thinking of purchasing a OnePlus 5 (UK specific questions)

1. darkseeker83
    Cupcake Sep 17, 2017

darkseeker83 , Sep 17, 2017 :
    Hi everyone. I am on the verge of buying a OnePlus 5. I am not used to spending so much on a smart phone and really want to make sure it is going to be a worthwhile purchase. I am considering a few issues / factors, and would be grateful for any feedback or commentary - some of these questions are UK specific. Apologies if any of these questions seem basic.

1) In the UK, would you rate support from O2 to be better than support from OnePlus if the phone develops problems and needs to be returned? I'll be honest, reading about some people's support experiences on Reddit with OnePlus scares me a little. I have friends who own Apple and Google phones and have had very smooth support experiences.

2) I have been reading a lot about Wi-Fi and battery draining issues - how easy would it be to troubleshoot these problems and deal with OnePlus to get these problems sorted.

3) For UK users - how do you find the phone signal strength / WiFi reception when at home and when travelling? Is there anything to look out for? I understand this is dependent on the network (I am with Three) - but I presume the phone design can also play a part.

4) OnePlus seem to release frequent updates. As soon as an update arrives, people hit the forums mentioning new problems (e.g. battery drain, etc). How essential are the updates - can they be ignored?

5) How easy is it to uninstall an update and revert back to an older version of the software / OS?

Thank you.

2. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Sep 19, 2017

Gav_W86 , Sep 19, 2017 :
    1. Are you buying direct from OnePlus or device only from O2? TBH, unless you have a contract O2 won't really be much help (aside from bare consumer rights stuff). OnePlus support isn't perfect (from experience) but even Apple support isn't (experience of them too). Looking in forums/reddit you are almost certainly only going to get negative experiences related, because people are more likely to complain loudly than praise.
    2. There are some wifi issues, but not really anything that has affected me. Depends on your use case I suppose. Not had any drain issues that weren't related to a particular app doing something stupid (again, doesn't mean others haven't had issues, but I don't think anything inherent).
    3. I am on EE and the reception/data speed/voice quality has been as good as any other phone I've had (I manage tech support, so have been through quite a few). The only issue I can remember with wifi travelling about is an occasional lack of pop up to go to a logon screen on public wifi. Roaming through Europe hasn't been an issue this year (4 countries), not been further afield with the phone yet.
    4. They are fairly regular (the 5 launched with 4.5.4 from memory and is now at 4.5.10). Depends on the update, but ones with security fixes are usually best not ignored. There is often higher battery use after an update, but it usually settles down again quickly. General advice would be not to immediately rush out and update on day one (unless urgent security fix) mostly ignore the first day or so noise, then check out if there is anything major causing problems. Again, people having/perceiving having issues are louder than a generally satisfied community.
    5. Never tried, but as far as I know its not easy (full reflash i believe) - could be wrong.

Which phone are you coming from?

3. malidan
    Marshmallow Sep 19, 2017

malidan , Sep 19, 2017 :
    It depends on how much your willing to pay. If OP are still running the 10% student thing, then your a student ain't you;)
    From O2 will make it easier to return it if your not happy with it and if you take it on contract 2 years of repairs cover.

This is a longstanding issue on all IP devices, enough said on that one.

People in every region have reported reception issues, so this one is suck it and see.
    But people who are on Three have reported issues and stated they didn't have those issues on their previous device.

You will see plenty of action here, I would say that is the problem.
    Too much quantity and not enough quality, they break just as much as they fix.
    Each of OP's device history shows this, if your not happy with the camera you will be stuck with it as they haven't fixed one yet.

This is a fairly simple process, there are tools, video and tutorials in place.

Good luck.