This is the OnePlus 3T Midnight Black

1. MickyFoley
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017

MickyFoley , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Q: Is the phone limited at all?
    A:
    Yes and maybe. The colette edition is limited to 250 pieces. But since even the normal "Midnight Black Edition" isn't at the normal shop, it seems to be limited - even if not that limited like the colette is:

Normal: https://oneplus.net/de/oneplus-3t
    Midnight Black: https://oneplus.net/de/oneplus-3t?target=midnight-black

Q: Is the phone somehow different to the normal 3T?
    A:
    Except the coating? No. The hardware is 1:1 the same.

Q: Is the "colette Edition" different to the "Midnight Black Edition"?
    A:
    Except the logo "colette" at the lower back, there is no difference at all.

Q: Should I blame OnePlus for XYZ?
    A:
    Not at all. Why should you? Your decision to buy it or not.

Q: Is OnePlus only selling it, because they will get rid of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821?
    A:
    Maybe. Maybe not. Again: Your decision to get a very good looking phone or not.

Q: I already have the OP3(T). Should I buy the "Midnight Black Edition"?
    A:
    Personal opinion: No. It would have been another 400€ to 480€ just to have another color and maybe just a bit better CPU included. Well... I already have the OP3 and spare money. But to be honest: I'm happy with my OP3 in "Soft Gold" and no, I don't recommend it, but... yeah... ordered it.Couldn't withstand like I did in the past. The "Soft Gold" will be in good hands: My mother. She needs a new phone and I really care about my phones. Hopefully, she'll also do.

Q: I came to this thread, because I need a new phone. Worth it?
    A:
    Get it whilst it's hot! There are plenty of good working ROMs out and a wonderful, alive & kickin community here and at XDA. You have a Google Nexus or you know that branch: Welcome! The OnePlus 3 and the OnePlus 3T became the new Nexus devices in our hearts.

I hope, I got some questions & answers together :). Have a nice day & just by the way: I REALLY love this color & phone!

armmani2001 likes this.
  2. kidorikko
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2017

3. jefferson070
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2017

Juslina likes this.
  4. Juslina
    Donut Mar 28, 2017

Juslina , Mar 28, 2017 :
    I would rally like to buy this phone but I feel a little uninformed... Do I still need an invite to be able to buy one?

5. D.o.E
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2017

D.o.E , Mar 28, 2017 :
    I really thought about buying it but Limited edition means 4 is on its way. I hope they will have an all black option for the next OP

6. F_Felix_Chan_xdWh
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2017

F_Felix_Chan_xdWh , Mar 28, 2017 :
    How can I get this OP3T midnight black, if I live in Indonesia
    That not selected region to shipping ?

7. MickyFoley
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017

Indeed. The only way to maybe get one, is by

Service Center: PT. Indo Raya Lestari

Mangga Dua Square; Lt.I Blok A No.25 Jl. Gunung
    Sahari Raya No.1 Jakarta Utara 14420 Indonesia
    All of Indonesia
    Indonesia
    Tel: (021) 29287201

Seems, there is no shipping for several countries. Citizens of not listed countries may have luck by doing a call / visit the service center of their country via:

https://oneplus.net/global/locations

8. vdd65
    Jelly Bean Mar 28, 2017

9. Radeon962
    KitKat Mar 28, 2017

Radeon962 , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Batman would carry the S8...

IMG_0842.PNG

sfomin and hayabusagr like this.
  10. MickyFoley
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017

@Radeon962: Batman would? I disagree. Batman only uses useful tools. Pricy, but not overpriced.
    To be honest: Just the location of the fingerprint sensor is nonrational. They announced, they would have the sensor beneath the front glass. And because they ran out of time... well... they located the sensor directly beside the camera. How stupid can a single company be? :D
    I'm a fan of frontside fingerprint sensors. My phone is on the table and I just have to unlock it with my finger. No picking it up. And just in case of the argument "Just double tap to get it on": Pattern / Pin / Password to unlock it finally? Nah, no need for it :).
    And unlocking via my eye? So I'm supposed to bend over the phone? Nope, not an option too.

armmani2001 likes this.
  11. armmani2001
    KitKat Mar 28, 2017

armmani2001 , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Completely agree, but whats the alternative? We have to settle for other phones with SD 821..

12. MickyFoley
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017

Blame Samsung. But to be honest: The things that still matter for me personally, are the camera & battery. The best camera is the camera, you're currently wearing with you. True that, but nothing against less noise, if the surrounding isn't that ideal to get a good shot. Like in darkness or at the evening.

And the battery... the good old battery. The CPU isn't the main hog anymore - it's simply the OS and services (Google, I'm watching your services in background! You old data collecting animal. No worries, I still love you...) and the screen itself. How about getting just one damn millimeter thicker? I won't care about it. 1mm = at least 1000mAh more - if not much more. Won't hurt me, really.

Also the overall speed of LTE (4G) is pretty decent now. Sure, more is more and so on... but... WIFI is a thing. And mostly, you'll run out of data before you may enjoy the speed. Maybe we'll talk about faster connections via mobile, if we get an unlimited, affordable dataplan for our phones. But until then?

Last but not least: What to do with a phone, locked down for the international market for... how long did it take to get LineageOS / CyanogenMod to arrive for the Exynos devices? If you don't live in the US, you're probably f*ck*d. And even if not: Many devs around are not from the US. They come from the whole world. But they're locked out, until someone finds a way to do a workaround for the latest "I DON'T CARE" things, like KNOX and eFUSE, and whatever. No sources for Exynos and not that many devs for the SD variant too - like we had years ago.

Just an example for the Galaxy S7 EDGE:

22nd February 2016 < Available for sale
    15th December 2016 < 1st post of CM13 at XDA

Compared to OnePlus 3:

14th June 2016 < Available for sale
    21st June 2016 < 1st post of CM13 at XDA

This is a week (!) after the release! And yes: I care about AOSP. AOSP = Keeping my phone alive. At the early availability of AOSP made the 3 and 3T to unofficial successors of the Nexus line. Even we really got angry about Carl, announcing a bit better phone just a few months later. Nobody cares anymore, because of the merged development (at least at AOSP). So... also here out of competition.

And if I have to choose between the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the OnePlus 3(T): Guess, what I'd take :).

And finally for the very last thing (Remember the "Blame Samsung."?):

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/3-reasons-this-samsung-galaxy-s8-exclusive-isnt-necessarily-a-slam-dunk/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

13. LittlePea13
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2017

14. ebry
    Donut Mar 28, 2017

ebry , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Wow, shipping day for the black is now at 11 days after ordering.. it needs to be back ordered even more, in case I want to auction it off! Please, make that fake supply shortage even if they have it in stock, they should go back to the old ways of having scarcity, so immediate resale value goes way up!

15. foxyone
    Eclair Mar 28, 2017

foxyone , Mar 28, 2017 :
    I have had a go in the raffle.... dont think i will win as i am unlucky.....but hey ho in for a penny in for a pound!

16. John j
    Jelly Bean Mar 28, 2017

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

17. Socrates1997
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2017

Socrates1997 , Mar 28, 2017 :
    a 4k screen is the easiest way to have the shittiest battery life, plus 2ks probably more than enough for VR

18. SteveB`
    Froyo Mar 29, 2017

SteveB` , Mar 29, 2017 :
    Well I hope I got the order I placed Sunday for a regular 3T resolved. The phone was actually shipped before the original projection and was already half way to me. FEDEX is supposed to send the phone back to OP so I won't have to ship it myself.

For anyone still following this, did you have to pay shipping? It seems some did and some didn't. I paid for the faster shipping on the first phone and had to pay on the black one too.

What case is everyone planning on using on the black phone? I want the mat finish to show so I'm thinking about a RhinoShield bumper guard or something similar. Suggestions?

19. Satyajitprana
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2017

20. falcon26
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2017

falcon26 , Mar 29, 2017 :
    Got my shipping notice from Oneplus for my Black 3T :) will have it Thursday. I'm in CA USA BTW...

Custnam likes this.