This is what I tried to calibrate my OPO's battery.

1. Raikon_N
    Gingerbread Nov 9, 2014

Raikon_N , Nov 9, 2014 :
    For the past couple of days now, my OPO's battery seems to have problem on displaying the correct battery percentage.

Once I see full-charge(100%) on the display, I normally pulled it from the plug immediately and begin to use it as per normal. But I noticed that it's always being stuck at 100% even for around 30 or 40 minutes of screen-on-time usage already. And also, it is consistently shutting down once it reached 12%.

So, today with a help of a simple device that I bought way before( a simple kit that displays the actual current drawn by the device connected from a charger), I was able to observed the charging behavior of my OPO.

Below is a picture of my OPO already at 100%(in 2 hours of being connected from the wall).
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from the pic above, it is still drawing 0.9A even though it reaches full-charge based on the battery icon. Anyway, the full-charge icon may also be interpreted as 90%, but the current drawn should have started to trickle down to a lower value at that point already. Do note that from 0% up to this point, the average current drawn of my OPO is 0.9A as I observed from the kit indicator while it's been charging.

So I immediately thought my OPO's battery stat is really not calibrated. I've come to that conclusion because when I first got my OPO, I've ran that test as well and really at 90%, the current drawn went down to ~0.4A then ~0.2A to 0A flat from that 90% to 100% span.

So, I left it and observed it during another 1-hour more and noticed the current draw trickled down to lower and lower value until it finally comes to a halt at 0A current draw. This should be the correct 100% battery stat of my OPO.
    [​IMG]

I booted it up, surely enough ofc it was at 100 % and after around 5 minutes of using the phone, it went down to 99%. I can say now that my phone is back to it's correct battery stats again. Only thing to observe now is if it shuts down early, but I think it won't anymore. I'm going to update this thread tomorrow after observing the low-battery stage scenario.

TLDR, I think a typical "leave it charging during the night" or any long-hours would have also solved the issue.

I only posted this coz I've also seen some threads with users having this incorrect display of battery stats on their OPO as well.

OSX, empathy07, Mirko.BEL and 5 others like this.
  2. manosome
    Jelly Bean Nov 12, 2014

manosome , Nov 12, 2014 :
    hey man, good post you made here. i exactly have the same problem recently. my phone turns off itself when it reaches battery around 25%.
    but i don't understand how you calibrate the battery! what should i do? just leave it on charge for hours or what?
    your reply would be appreciated. thanks

Raikon_N likes this.
  3. svdzandt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 12, 2014

svdzandt , Nov 12, 2014 :
    Just put your phone on the charger when you go to bed. if you remove it afterwards (most people avarage a 7-8 hours a sleep a day) the battery will be fully charged and be calibrated. that's all there is to it.

Raikon_N and darkheineken like this.
  4. shez1461
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2014

shez1461 , Nov 12, 2014 :
    Why do people use other usb cable when the opo cable has been supplied with original accessories?
    start using the cable with what it came with!

5. svdzandt

svdzandt , Nov 12, 2014 :
    most people have multiple spots for charging etc. i always charge my phone at night so i used an old samsung charger that supplied a max of 0.7A, and used the official cable for connecting to my pc. honestly i think they should supply 2 cables with any phone, one for charging, one for pc-usage.

Raikon_N and shez1461 like this.
  6. shez1461
    Gingerbread Nov 12, 2014

shez1461 , Nov 12, 2014 :
    Couldn't agree less! to be honest.. i charge it in the night before going to bed.. take the phone with me to work.. same time after 2days i have to charge it again... thus no need to charge it very often!

Raikon_N likes this.
  7. manosome
    Jelly Bean Nov 12, 2014

manosome , Nov 12, 2014 :
    okay thanks man, i am going to try this tonight and will inform you the improvements if there is any.

8. Hiraeth

9. murixbob
    Eclair Nov 12, 2014

murixbob , Nov 12, 2014 :
    In general a slower charge is better for prolonging the lifespan of a battery. While this can vary depending on the type of battery (NiCd, NiMh, Lithium-ion, etc.) It is more so that chargers that use a higher current cause the battery to heat up more during charging which can damage the battery over many charge cycles. If you are curious about battery technology in general or some of the math behind this I recommend checking out battery university.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

10. hudson44
    Cupcake Nov 25, 2014

hudson44 , Nov 25, 2014 :

Hey Raikon, has your OPO been shutting down early at all (15-30%) in the past couple weeks??

11. laanrobe
    Honeycomb Dec 10, 2014

laanrobe , Dec 10, 2014 :
    Great post, I found this while looking for people with battery percentage problems. I am suddenly (last two days) seeing something very similar after using the OPO for 3 months:
    - I recharge my phone to 100% (according to the battery indicator) and disconnect
    - The phone stays at 100% for an absurd long time: more than 2 hours with almost an hour on-screen time
    - The phone suddenly shuts down with the battery percentage indicator still at around 30% (could not check the percentage since the phone shut down). No low battery warning, just out-of-the-blue shut down.
    - Connected to the charger it displays the message with the Chinese text, something like 'battery to low to start the phone, please wait some time before switching on'.

I will try the suggested method and charge the phone overnight. Let's see if it starts behaving like before again and correctly indicates battery level.

NOTE: I tried - before I read this thread - to 'fix' and re-calibrate the battery with two Play Store apps that were highly rated: Battery Life Repair and Advanced Battery Calibrator. However, based on my experience, I believe these apps are not really doing anything. They are just advertising vehicles to get you to install/buy other apps. Especially Battery Life Repair seems suspicious: it suggests your battery has 'bad cells' that the app can repair...

12. homey
    Honeycomb Jan 15, 2015

homey , Jan 15, 2015 :
    Did it work?

13. bec
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 15, 2015

bec , Jan 15, 2015 :
    You know your sh*t man.

14. laanrobe
    Honeycomb Jan 19, 2015

laanrobe , Jan 19, 2015 :
    Yes it did. Battery indicator works fine again now.

homey likes this.
  15. Uffie
    Froyo Feb 7, 2015

Uffie , Feb 7, 2015 :
    Ik have the similar problem. Phone stays for hours at 100% then when it hits 30ish it shuts down.

I'll try to keep it on the charger all night.

Do you leave the phone running when you charge it all night or do you charge it when it's powered down? Or doesn't it matter?

16. ikbenben
    Gingerbread Feb 20, 2015

ikbenben , Feb 20, 2015 :
    Mine dropps already a couple of procents in a matter of minutes. Wasn't like this before.
    I'm going to try to leave it a while longer on the charger.

17. cejagdishgmail
    Donut Mar 15, 2015

cejagdishgmail , Mar 15, 2015 :
    Same issue here... from past 2 days i noticed that when the consumption hits 15% its dead... I went across couple of forms but no use... I kept it to charge form past 2 hours....(usually it charges quick but left it anyways)... I am not sure about the battery calibrating .... some thing odd. This use to happen to my micromax. but once i did the factory reset every thing was back to normal but now i am worried about the all the information that i have in my one plus..... one plus engineers need your help here....

18. mastermime
    Gingerbread Mar 15, 2015