Thoughts on 6T camera

1. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

F_Omair_Malik_SKTv , Nov 12, 2018 :
    Hi All,

I'm a long-term OP3 user who can get an upgrade. the 3 has been once of my best phones, however it's camera wasn't much to write home about and lately will not focus.

The camera is an important feature for me so I'd love to hear your thoughts good and bad at how well it performs. I like everything else about the phone. My options are:

1, Get the 6T
    2, Maybe get a pixel 3
    3, Hold out for the OP7

Advice and comments most appreciated.
    thanks

KnightofScorpio likes this.
  2. Akshat2793
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 12, 2018

3. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

4. wanderguzman
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2018

5. chvzedgar

chvzedgar , Nov 12, 2018 :
    The 6T is great with the Google Camera port from Pixel 3. But maybe I'd wait for OP7 until they add stereo speakers, improved camera (you are currently getting the same as in the OP6) and a better technology for UD Fingerprint Sensor.

6. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

Thanks that's really useful info. I've not heard of Google camera port. You make a great case for holding out for the 7. likely to only be 6 months away I'd say?

chvzedgar likes this.
  7. Sargo

Sargo , Nov 12, 2018 :
    If you really care about the camera you will get the pixel but be wary as there are few issues with it - perhaps consider pixel 2 xl
    Oneplus will never beat google or huawei in this department

8. JAGADISH BHATTA

JAGADISH BHATTA , Nov 12, 2018 :
    Wait for one plus 7 currently one plus camera algorithm is not good maybe they will come to their sense and fix it

I am no more touching one plus stock camera and currently using Gcam on my one plus 6 which takes way better photos

F_Omair_Malik_SKTv likes this.
  9. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

10. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

Thanks! Its looking like the OP camera is a compromise. I'm not looking for it to be the best in class, just consistent

Herbert_Lagos likes this.
  11. JAGADISH BHATTA

JAGADISH BHATTA , Nov 12, 2018 :
    Gcam mod on one plus 6 is very consistent and working perfectly

12. msudz923
    Eclair Nov 12, 2018

msudz923 , Nov 12, 2018 :
    I struggled with a very similar issue. I love taking pictures and lately have been taking it more seriously. I had the Galaxy S9+ but there were issues, so I traded it for the LG V40, and was immediately disappointed with a $1,000 phone taking marginal pictures. I tried the OP6T and thus far I'm very happy. If money were no object I would buy the Huawei p20 pro, but in my reality money is an issue, so I finance the phones from T-MOBILE.
    I've found that the OP6T isn't the best at anything, but it is very good at most.
    Good luck making a decision, let us know what you end up doing.

13. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

Great post. I'm very happy with most of what OP brings to the table. Things like stable OS, fast charging, long and consistent battery all play into my thinking as OP does that v well. The camera is just the thing niggling me, if only they could have the pixels software...which someone eluded to.

msudz923 likes this.
  14. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

do you have a good link for GCam?

15. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

Do we think the camera will be significantly better in the 7, they seem to be a slow evolution? And do we think stereo speakers are coming?

16. Sargo

Sargo , Nov 12, 2018 :
    https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6-oneplus-6t-get-working-night-sight-mode-from-pixel-3/
    This version has support for night sight - try it its like magic
    Always an improvement but the rest of the market also is improving as well so always leaves you with bitter taste in your mouth when looking at the comparisons but price tag is something to keep in mind - if oneplus first 5g model kicks off more high-end oneplus lineup then we might be looking at something better
    Imo they need to replace or add more useful version of the secondary camera

msudz923 and F_Omair_Malik_SKTv like this.
  17. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

18. F_Omair_Malik_SKTv
    Froyo Nov 12, 2018

My worries about Pixel are poor battery life, 4gb which might show by the phone slowing down over time and not a fan of the overheating/apps closing/screen lottery issues

19. Sargo

Sargo , Nov 12, 2018 :
    go with Huawei then camera quality is similar p20 pro
    just don't get the newest mate 20 pro as I just returned mine due to shitty software and hardware issues with the screen

20. chvzedgar

chvzedgar , Nov 12, 2018 :
    The market is demanding and the competition is tough... OnePlus will surely improve the camera and audio quality to match the next generation Pixel/Huawei/Samsung phones.