Thread of the Week Winner: Week 5

1. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 2, 2019

pablofg1978, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Hello everyone,

This is my turn to choose the thread of the week, and it wasn't an easy choice... but I just back from my vacations last week with my batteries fully charged to this task.
    My choice for this "Thread of the Week" maybe surprises you, since I choosed a thread that is not in english but, dont worry, I'll include a full translation on the next post.
    So, without no more delay, I pressent you the winner of "Thread of the Week" and the recipient of 100 forum points:

A contraluz #4: La sensibilidad ISO y el tiempo de exposición

[​IMG]
    By @jlasensiofi

@jlasensiofi made a series of threads, this is his #4. In each one of his threads he explains some tecnical aspects of a camera and show us how to take amazing pictures with our Oneplus devices.
    So I would like to invite you all not to just read this one, but to check also his other threads.

Congratulations to Jose Luis (or Pepe, like we say in spanish), I'm loking foward to read the next one.

You can find a read about the past winners here:
    Week 1 - by @An.I.Am
    Week 2 - by @gaster
    Week 3 - by @drmartin
    Week 4 - by @Mark Falsing

For those that didn't win, maybe next week will be your turn!! Good luck!

2. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Mar 2, 2019

pablofg1978, Mar 2, 2019 :
    thread translation: Hope you understand everything, I did my best :oops:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Hi everyone.

In the post of the previous week we have been looking at the combined use of ISO sensitivity and exposure time to achieve a balanced histogram. These parameters have their own utility and is what I will try to explain in this new post.

Those of us who are less young, we remember the era of analog photography, and although I liked it a lot, the truth is that I do not miss it. We had to go to the photo shop to buy a roll, but with an ISO (it was also called ASA) that was the one that corresponded to the place where we had planned to take the photos. It was not the same if we were going to take pictures outdoors than indoors or if they were going to be day or night. Then you had to select in the camera the ISO of the roll you had bought, and poor of you if you did not remember to do it, it happened to me more than once, or you selected a wrong value.

I find it odd to think that then we could only use the exposure and opening time, with the ISO being fixed, and nowadays in the mobiles the aperture is fixed and we can only use the ISO and the exposure time. Does not it sound like something? Well nothing happened and we were so happy being able to use only two of the factors of the exposure triangle.

ISO is the acronym of International Standars Organization and, as I told you last week, it is the parameter that tells the sensor the amount of light it has to collect and that in our OnePlus it is on a scale from 100 to 3200.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can imagine, at low ISO values the ability to capture light is small, but the quality is higher and we are sure that there will be no noise in our photographs. We will use low ISO values when there is good light in the scene we are going to photograph. On the other hand, in scenes with low light we will be forced to use high ISO values, but we will surely have noise in our photos.

But what is noise? It is that kind of grains, spots and imperfections that we see in some photographs and it usually appears in dark areas. In these captures I compare some photos taken with ISO 100, 800 and 3200, when you enlarge a certain area you will see how as it rises it's value it will appear what is known as noise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That kind of granulate, which is very visible in the last capture, is precisely what is known as noise.

The truth is that I do not like that there is noise in my photos, and I believe that you either, and for that I am as maniacal as for the sharpness, but we can not always avoid it. Either get used to it, which I refuse, or put a longer exposure time while lowering the ISO to the lowest possible value.

It is also true that there are editing programs that allow you to eliminate noise, so by mixing everything, sooner or later we could get it almost disappear from our photos.

However. It is also true that we must remove the fear of using high ISO values. I say this because in the photo that I put below, I had to do it with a high ISO. The day was gray, there was little light and I wanted to capture the shock of the raindrops and the waves that formed. This forced me to high exposure times, but if I set a low ISO I would get underexposed. So I made the decision for an ISO 800 and 1/320 exposure time. " It is not very high, but it has allowed me to fulfill my objective and, on the other hand, I do not see any noise in the photograph, being also a cut from the original.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, you already know that the exposure time is the parameter that indicates how long the sensor will be receiving light. I told you last week that it is measured in seconds or fractions of a second and that in our OnePlus it is on a scale that goes from 30 "(long exposure time) to 1/8000" (short exposure time).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The use of a short or long exposure time will depend on what we want to photograph. For example, if we want to take a picture of something moving and it comes sharp, we must use a short exposure time. If, on the other hand, we want the water to come out with a silk effect or the lights of the cars to become trails, we must use a long exposure time.

There is an inverse relationship between the ISO and the exposure time. I'll explain it. As we already know, the ISO scale, comprised in a range between 100 and 3200, has the values 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200, without contemplating the intermediates for greater simplification. Well, if we leave the exposure time automatically, as we double the value of the ISO, the exposure time is shortened twice. Suppose we take a photo with an ISO 100 and the exposure time is 1/800. "If we raise the ISO to 200, the exposure time will be adjusted to 1/1600" and so on. In this table I leave the values I have obtained in this series of captures that I leave below, for a better understanding.

[​IMG]
    Someone can say that I have gone crazy, because the scale of the exhibition time ends in 1/8000 ". And you're right, it ends in that value, but do not tell me how it does it, and I can only assume that it's a software issue, but our mobiles reach exposure time values of the order of 1/25600 ", or at least that which what the camera shows us. That you do not believe it? Watch, please, these captures and convince for yourselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very important detail that I would like you to notice is that the histogram maintains practically the same exposure in each of the cases. It is simply nothing other than the confirmation of the exposure triangle that I mentioned the last week. When modifying one of the parameters, the other must change to compensate and maintain balanced the triangle.

The problem we have is that the use of long exposure times, logically will force us to use a good support of the mobile or a tripod. Otherwise the photos will be moved. This is where we already have to see which of the many options that there are in the market are the ones that we like the most.

With short exposure times we can take photos of a skater's jump like the post's header. I have to admit that I was impressed by the result of the photograph, because it is a cut from the original and the detail that remains is incredible. I waited in the afternoon because I knew that there would be full sun on the track and in the skaters, with which I would be able to use a high exposure time. The truth is that I was lucky and I was not wrong. With an ISO 100, I could make the photo 1/1250 "and get freeze their movement, and even to leave the shadow on the floor of the track with a good definition.

[​IMG]

We can also freeze the moment of the crash of some waves, see the foam coming from those that have broken or capture an airplane at the time of landing. The first and second are made with an ISO 100 and an exposure time 1/1600 ".

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the third was hard to take. It's not all the good that I wanted. The sun in front, between the clouds, increased the luminosity a lot, I did not see very well and played a trick on me. I managed to do it with an exposure time 1/8000 "with an ISO 100. Not being what I would have liked, I think it looks in enough detail..

[​IMG]

What I intend is that we see that everything that is in motion and we want to capture it so that it is frozen, we can achieve it with exposure times as short as possible. As I said last week, take, take and take pictures. If I told you the number of them that I shot to get the ones from this post, I think you would be amazed.

And so, in the next one, taking advantage of the fact that we already know the use of the parameters that we are dealing with today and that we have seen short exposure photography, it is time to talk about the long exposure. Buf, it has both exciting and difficult, so I hope to give the size and to provide a good sample of it.

I hope you liked it and not forget that there is no worse picture than the one that is not made.

Never Settle.

3. YRJ KitKat Mar 2, 2019

4. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

jlasensiofi, Mar 2, 2019 :
    ¡¡!OMG!!! [e]1f632[/e]

¡¡¡I can not believe it!!! My satisfaction is indescribable [e]1f64c[/e][e]1f64f[/e]

What my modest work, which only aims to show the performance that we can get to the camera of our OnePlus, be recognized in this way, is a pride for me, and above all, a pride of belong to this great Community [e]1f60d[/e]

"Pepe" I like more [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

Thank you very much my friend @pablofg1978, infinitely grateful.

Never Settle.

5. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

Awesome translation work, thanks!!!! [e]1f64c[/e]

6. G_plusone Lollipop Mar 2, 2019

G_plusone, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Congratulations @jlasensiofi :)
    Thanks for the translation @pablofg1978

7. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

Thank you very much, mate. Yes and also with great threads of other colleagues. I did not expect it, so very satisfied. Of course, the work of @pablofg1978 is incredible

I'm glad that you like them. I will continue working hard for next week.

Good weekend to all and congratulations to all the previous winners @An.I.Am @gaster @drmartin @Mark Falsing

Never Settle.

8. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

9. YRJ KitKat Mar 2, 2019

10. gaster KitKat Moderator Mar 2, 2019

gaster, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Great pick and post my friend
    Very nice pick and great post my friend @pablofg1978 That was interesting. Congratulations @jlasensiofi. Good luck for the next week guys!

11. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

Thanks a lot friend!!!! ;):)

"Apparently, these aren't the winners :p:D" Oh no? :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019

12. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 2, 2019

13. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 4, 2019

Bouncer71, Mar 4, 2019 :
    Congrats @jlasensiofi...!

Great Tutorial on the relations between ISO and shutter speed...! 8D

Looking forward to the long-exposure part.. !

14. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 4, 2019

jlasensiofi, Mar 4, 2019 :
    Thanks a lot, mate!!!! I'm glad you liked it and I hope that the next one will do even more [e]1f609[/e]

meatandy and Bouncer71 like this.
  15. Bouncer71 KitKat Mar 4, 2019

Bouncer71, Mar 4, 2019 :
    I'm certain it will... ! ;D

meatandy and jlasensiofi like this.
  16. jlasensiofi KitKat Mar 4, 2019

jlasensiofi, Mar 4, 2019 :
    Millions of thanks, mate!!!!. I hope not to disappoint [e]1f609[/e][e]1f64f[/e]

meatandy and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. tashioneplus6t Donut Mar 7, 2019