Throwback Thursday: OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Oct 3, 2019

dsmonteiro , Oct 3, 2019 :
    version4.png

Hey everyone,

It’s been nearly a year since we head over to the iconic McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, London, the perfect stage to announce our most exclusive device to date – the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition. Its unboxing experience, bold looks and uncompromising specs struck quite the impression among Community and Media alike.

We want to invite you to share your thoughts: What impressed you the most about the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition?

Feel free to leave your comments below and, if you own one, do let us know your thoughts about it!

2. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 3, 2019

Dunnow , Oct 3, 2019 :
    So, I was lucky enough to get this device out of a contest... I still use it today, and have no intention to change to a newer version for a while (unless @Carl wants to give me some McLaren love from the 7t series... hue).

I always liked this device, it was different just for the fact of being limited, the charger and cable still look like a premium thing, and I enjoy, every time I take it out of the case, the carbon fiber details on it.

Performance didn't seem to decay, which after owning the OP2 for a long time, I expected to somehow, appear. If it did, I didn't notice.

Memory wise, oh man. The 256GB are a bless. Took me SO LONG to fill them all and start deleting files that for a while I thought I would never get to that point even.

What impressed me the most though was the attention to detail of the packaging, extra goodies and the charging speeds. I tend to keep the McLaren charger at home, and carry with me the OP6 normal charger, which feels slow AF when compared to the original charging capabilities of this device.

I wish OnePlus offered carbon fiber details without the McLaren branding, just as an option, so you wouldn't need to wait for an exclusive limited edition device to enjoy the nice sportive look of it.

I expect to keep this device until EOL (AKA OnePlus no longer updating the SW) even though the newer devices have some features that I'd love to enjoy already, that, I feel, would happen each time anyway.

Regardless, thanks for everyone who voted me on that contest and gave me the chance to keep this device. Been enjoying it for a while. Wouldn't mind seeing more and more McLaren related stuff. I can already imagine laptop sleeves or the backpacks. Would look cool.

Anyway, since I (and others that will come) have this device, if anyone has some questions still a year past its release, feel free to ask me.

3. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 3, 2019

FlixbusLennart , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Oct 3, 2019 :
    To be honest, the best part about the collaboration was the stunning website that came out of it, and, most importantly, the partnership between OnePlus and the McLaren F1 team.
    Seeing the logo of my favourite brand on my favourite F1 livery was super cool - an extra bit of motivation to watch F1.
    Yes, I'm a big fanboy.

4. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 3, 2019

camohan , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Is that a hint towards new OnePlus McLaren edition phone?

I don't own one, but I really liked the Orange Papaya color. I have that color as my accent color in 6t.

5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 3, 2019

Cheetosdust , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Throwback? More like "Preparation Thursday: OnePlus T McLaren Edition" :rolleyes:

Amirite or amirite?

Where my cheated friends at? Not here yet? They'll arrive soon enough. :cool:

6. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Oct 3, 2019

camohan , Oct 3, 2019 :
    With a hastag.

7. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 3, 2019

youbi , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Like people usually say, the partnership between OnePlus and Mclaren seems like a "match made in heaven". :) Both companies values about speed look to be well aligned so it looks indeed a perfect match.

Had the chance to briefly try the phone (@gaster has one) and really liked what they did, the design was mostly discrete but at the same time, had his own identity that made it stand out.

Hope to see more things from this partnership coming out. :D

8. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Oct 3, 2019

Impersonal , Oct 3, 2019 :
    this thread is random... or is it !? ^_^ I'm guessing a new colab ...a 7T McLaren... a 7T pro McLaren in the works !?
    the 6T was the best looking device ever made by OnePlus, the fact that the 7 and 7 T have the same'ish face is a statement to the how gorgeous 6T really was, but how to improve something so perfect... enter 6T McLaren special edition, and yes, it is/was awesome, I loved the motto, "Salute the Speed" way better than "Fast and Smooth" , the packaging was a delight, the booklet the perfect coffee table read, also the carbon fiber back look, and the Papaya Orange Speed trail, legendary, 10GB of RAM, raw Power, even the charging cable was interesting, really inspired by all them cables and pipes and all.

it also goes very well with the 720S

Ps : the whole marketing campaign was a delight, the special page, the event, even the unboxings and reviews.... The whole ordeal was a statement, and a powerful one(plus)

Pss: even the fingerprint animation was the best fingerprint animation, haven't seen one better since, pro tip if you own a 6T you can unlock it, just search the forums !

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019

Shekar444, Supersonic, Kleb32 and 8 others like this.
  9. Cheetosdust

Sounds like you are describing my forum history :p

Paschfire, superplus, suhantm and 4 others like this.
  10. Potato 9918 , via OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition , Oct 3, 2019 :
    i still remember the day that i was travelling around Europe and got to Verona, where i sent the device to be shipped, the excitement levels were unreal. I bought the phone 1 month prior to my vacation (I'm from Brazil btw) and because you can't get any OnePlus phones here, it was the perfect opportunity. I was so excited to open that beautiful package and to take some amazing pictures from my trip, to experience the amazing charging speeds, and just to look at the damn thing (my God is it beautiful). I never felt so satisfied and so happy owning a phone. OnePlus, you surprised me so much with this amazing device, and i don't think I'm going to leave the OnePlus family anytime soon.
    thanks for everything.

Here's some pictures i took with the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition in Verona:
    1570111191012.jpg

1570111191181.jpg

1570111191347.jpg

1570111191557.jpg

11. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Oct 3, 2019

gaster , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Hi guys. This thread is really great @dsmonteiro and thanks for bringing it up. Currently I have as my daily driver the OnePlus 7 Pro Almond Edition, but I have my 2nd player driver in my home that is the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition.

Since I am a F1 McLaren fan, when I first heard of the rumors to having a special limited edition of a OnePlus device by a partnership of McLaren and OnePlus, I really got excited! Without a second thought I just was counting the days of its official release and I instantly ordered it in day one.

The device is greatly beautiful and with all this speed orange design and the papaya orange finish on the sides along with the carbon effect under the back glass, gives a totally premium feeling device in touch and aesthetics. Think that I am using it always without the carbon bumper McLaren protective case in my home, cause I love to see and feel all the time its great aesthetic design.

It's performance is amazingly fast as well as its charging speed. 10GB of ram, SD 845, Warp Charge 30 and of course the great handling of OxygenOS in this hardware, makes this device one of its kind out of the league in my opinion. I had also reviewed a short video of the 6T McLaren edition RAM and OS performance, to show how it handles the apps even if there are a lot of them open in the background. You can watch this bellow but keep in mind that the video was made for a Greek community so ignore my Greek speech better :oops:

The more excited part for the McLaren fans, is the package. The design and the content that is included along with the AR app for having a small documentary about McLaren, makes this limited edition a unique unboxing and using experience.

I hope we can expect a new OnePlus 7 Series McLaren Edition this year :)

That's my thoughts of the McLaren 6T. Thanks for the tag @youbi.

Cheers guys!

12. meatandy
    Oreo Oct 3, 2019

meatandy , Oct 3, 2019 :
    The orange color and the Kevlar back , much like what the Glacier Blue and Kevlar 7Tpro will have . :rolleyes::D

13. Impersonal , via OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Cheetosdust

Sounds like you are describing my forum history

bwahahaha
    didn't want to trigger you, this time,
    but yeah the "Papaya Orange" stuck with me, and I finally found a place were I can use this information.

ps I love Papayas, Orange not so much, but we can call it Pumpkin Orange since it's October,

manuel19, B.I.T.S., G_plusone and 3 others like this.
  14. Rajatkumar29
    Gingerbread Oct 3, 2019

Dipkesh, tedzards509, Joy_dip and 6 others like this.
  15. femiuex
    Honeycomb Oct 3, 2019

femiuex , via OnePlus 7 , Oct 3, 2019 :
    The 6T caught my attention but the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition captured my heart.
    Since it was limited, I couldn't buy any at that time. I wanted to wait for subsequent McLaren editions but was too impatient, I pulled the trigger on a OnePlus 7.

Coloured my charger and my charging cable Papaya Orange.

16. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Oct 3, 2019

Impersonal , Oct 3, 2019 :
    You are the promised one, a great profet @Cheetosdust said you would come!

B.I.T.S., G_plusone and Cheetosdust like this.
  17. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Oct 3, 2019

G_plusone , Oct 3, 2019 :
    Trial run for next week ;)

Cheetosdust likes this.
  18. Cheetosdust

Hehe, he stopped short of ending the post with #lifeisnotfair :p

B.I.T.S. and Impersonal like this.
  19. Cheetosdust

B.I.T.S., Impersonal and G_plusone like this.
  20. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Oct 3, 2019

B.I.T.S., Cheetosdust and Impersonal like this.