TIPS - Creating the Perfect AMOLED Wallpapers

1. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2018

elanglois , Oct 21, 2018 :
    Hey! Want to create your own wallpapers? Here are some things you should know ...

First, the screenshots are from a free tool called The Gimp running on my Linux laptop, but you can get it for ANY computer. Find it at https://gimp.org If you use another tool, you'll just need to use the same basic principles with the tools at hand.

Now, first, select the image to start with, but be careful with what you choose! Amoled screens don't have backlights. Each pixel is made up of individual LEDs. Each LED is either Red, Green, or Blue. Each LED has its own transistor. If an LED is off, it's associated transistor is off and not draining power. Already knew that? How about this. Did you know that a blue LED needs 12 times more power than a green one? However, your screen shares red and blue LEDs between neighboring pixels, but every pixel has its own green. Green is about twice as efficient as red, but there are more green leds than reds, because red LEDs are shared. So for power consumption, figure every blue pixel needs 6 times the power of red or green! A white one is 8-10 times the power of a red or green!

Next, amber or yellow is red and green together ... still less power than blue, but twice that of red or green separately. A magenta or cyan pixel uses blue and another color, so it uses even more power than just blue. Finally, grey uses all 3 colors, and definitely stay away from white! Attention OnePlus ... Ambient display should be black and RED, not black and grey! Turn off some of those power-hungry blue pixels!!

So ... oceans and blue skies are out. Stick with lots of blacks, then reds, then ambers, and only add blues if you have to!

Here's my starting image.
    xXxDead-WalkerxXx-the-dark-arts-30875045-900-703.jpg

I loaded it into Gimp and used the "Image->Scale image" feature to set the height to 1920 (I have a 3T). It expands the width automatically. Now I set the "Image->Canvas Size" to crop the width to 1080 and select the "Center" button to center the image.

Screenshot from 2018-10-20 20-20-32.png

Now ... that's a LOT of grey. I next used the Color->Curves tool to drop the green down and cut the blue WAY down (and the left of the scale for blue was cut to ZERO so the darkest pixels have no blue in them at all).

Screenshot from 2018-10-20 20-24-13.png

Now, we still have a lot of dark pixels that close to black. We could keep tweaking the curves, or use the Color->Exposure tool. The important thing here is to up the black level, but you can adjust exposure to your liking as well.

Screenshot from 2018-10-20 20-25-16.png

Now, I like to add a layer over the entire thing to darken the whole image. This helps icons and text stand out when using the image as a wallpaper. Just add a black layer over the original and change the Mode from Normal to "Grain Merge" ... this preserves some of the natural color differences in the image and stops it from looking subdued or washed out. You'll need to adjust the transparency level to your liking; usually around 50%. Shown below ...

Screenshot from 2018-10-20 20-27-31.png

Now just File->Export as a JPEG image and stick it on your phone! The final result looks like this (click thumbnail for larger image) ..
    xXxDead-WalkerxXx-the-dark-arts-wallpaper.jpg

This same process was used to create my current wallpaper, from this ...
    serial-experiments-lain.jpg into this Lain-WallPaper.jpg or for 5T Lain-5T-Wallpaper.jpg

How's it look?
    Screenshot_Ruthless_Launcher_20181020-210736_001-01.jpeg and Screenshot_Ruthless_Launcher_20181020-211206-01.jpeg

Have fun!

drl431, G_plusone, meatandy and 6 others like this.
  2. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Oct 21, 2018

meatandy, buntycubal and script like this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2018

elanglois , Oct 21, 2018 :
    Glad you liked it. I always try to give a few informative threads amongst the "heating" and "where's my update" waterfall.

drl431, meatandy, buntycubal and 2 others like this.
  4. script
    Nougat Moderator Oct 21, 2018

script , Oct 21, 2018 :
    Good idea. I'll feature this thread in the next monthly.

meatandy, buntycubal, xnutzii and 2 others like this.
  5. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Oct 21, 2018

stark2991_PL , Oct 21, 2018 :
    At the end of the day power consumed by wallpaper literally doesn't matter on smartphones. Most of the power is consumed by used apps ant their content, and we don't have control over it (or only partially). But thanks for the effort.

Aman Singh gurjar and buntycubal like this.
  6. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 31, 2018

elanglois , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Shameless bump.

Shall I do another example? I'm actually using the one I made for this example as my daily wallpaper these days. My intent was only to use that picture as a demo, not to change my wallpaper again!

meatandy and Bouncer71 like this.
  7. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Oct 31, 2018

Bouncer71 , Oct 31, 2018 :
    Then it wouldn't be so obvious.. ;D
    It will be featured in the next Monthly so just wait a couple of days... ;D

It's a pretty specific subject probably not a lot of people are interested in, plus you released it in the middle of the 6T hype...

I did one about hardware display calibration in May before the release of the 6...
    A zombie right from the start... ;D

That's the reason why I didn't really continue on my other threads or start new ones. Most of the efforts would get lost in the noise and won't reach those interested .. ;D

meatandy and elanglois like this.
  8. G_mahen_sam_Zdas
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2018

9. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2018

elanglois , Nov 13, 2018 :
    an app to create them, or an app that just gives you wallpapers? you do realize that you can take any picture and set it as your wallpaper right? using an APK just opens up your phone for hacks from Bad Developers. I really can't recommend using an APK just to install a wallpaper

drl431 likes this.