TMobile rcs on global op7pro?

1. Darrell langton Donut Jun 17, 2019

Darrell langton, Jun 17, 2019 :
    I really liked the rcs TMobile had out and was wondering if there is any way to add that feature into a apk or messaged apk to update the global firmware to accept TMobile rcs? I searched the forums seems like no one had much of an answer for me

Phillyslix, skip029 and T2tech like this.
  2. skip029 Eclair Jun 18, 2019

Phillyslix and Darrell langton like this.
  3. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Google is adding RCS without the carriers now. thank God lol. They're doing it in the UK now. I can't wait until it hours the US

4. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 18, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Yeah, me too. I'm glad they're finally giving the finger to carriers. Tired of their bullshit on this.

Now they just need to add end-to-end encryption to it and it will be perfect. Supposedly they're working on it.

Phillyslix likes this.
  5. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    that would be good but I'll use it even if they don't have it at this point. I've waited so long that I switched half of my children to iOS. I've been thinking about switching the youngest ones too. now I might not have to.

Darrell langton likes this.
  6. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

pgrey, Jun 18, 2019 :
    This is probably how they should've done it, LONG ago. The fact that it took until 01/19 for Fi to have RCS is "compelling" though, if you ask me, Sprint and TMobile (on a couple of phones) and even Verizon was beating-them-to-it, which is embarrassing, when Google controls both the hw/carrier side (on Fi).

I don't know how Google is going to deal with stuff like ATT's "Advanced Messaging Kludge" though, it's going to be a mess for them to code around things like that, if you ask me...
    As a VERY long time non-branded ATT (and non-iOS) customer, I've LONG awaited TextoWiFi (and VoWiFi, but that's a somewhat separate discussion), which would be enabled by this, if the ATT integration "just works", we'll see...

The other interesting "large piece of the puzzle" here, is if they're working (at a fully-integrated stage) with Samsung, given that most of the carriers seem to like to ship with the Samsung Messenger version as default. Obviously, there could be an "opt-in" type of scenario, of many variations, but I'm not so sure Samsung is going to be keen on this, unless they can have it at least "appear" to be theirs...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019

7. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    It's Google. Massive Google who makes Android. Noone can stop them from doing what they want with their messaging app. shame it's taken them this long. It's wild they had Hangouts for all those years and dropped the ball for so long.

8. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

pgrey, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Sure, it's Google, but they don't automatically have "rights", to whatever ATT has done, with "Advanced Messaging", even IF it's a HUGE kludge (IMO).

If you could "compel" the whole world to just switch to their app, then sure, this would be a pretty simple rollout/conversion.
    This is the "real world" though, where carriers have done one-off "interpretations" of various types of "enhanced messaging", and created sever-infrastructure, to match.
    Same for large OEMs, such as Samsung, they have created their own, slightly different, set of "enhanced messaging", and lot of carriers have a (possibly enhanced per-carrier) version of this, too.
    Google has agreements too, with carriers, I can almost guarantee it, even tough it's not talked about much. They also have known-agreements with many (particularly larger) OEMs like Samsung, and I'm sure it doesn't involve just outright "nuking the Samsung messaging app", with zero concession/integration.
    I'm NOT a Samsung fan, never have been, for much anyway, but they are BIG, in the Android world, it's un-deniable...

All that needs to be "un-wound", for this work, unless everyone with an Android device "magically switches" their messaging, at once. I just don't see how this will happen, without some sort of "combined effort", to move this forward.

Hangouts, looked compelling for awhile, but they never seemed to try to "move it forward", with the carriers, or otherwise.

They already have the base-code to make this happen, I think the bulk of the work at this point is "political/business", in nature.

9. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    they don't need to nuke relationships to give the RCS option in their own app though. they aren't stepping on toes.

10. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    there are many things large players have alternatives to. it will be the same with messaging.

11. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

12. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

pgrey, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I'm not so sure, @khaf , on the "stepping on toes" part. I guess it depends on how they "couch the message", and how they go about "proliferation".

Just curious, how do you think they're going to message this, in a way that makes the "majority of Android users adopt it", or even "learn about it"?

13. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    so many people use the messages app already. that's one part. a prompt will do fine. for those Android phones without it advertise. messaging is huge. Remember when Google's advertising was straight garbage? I think they are doing great with it now. people like me usually don't like Apple. I think there's allot of good and bad with them. One thing they now how to do is advertise. Have you seen the latest commercial for iMessage end to end encryption? that's the way you get those casual consumers. how many random people do you think you can walk up to and they'd know what encryption is? those iPhone users will say well it's private and secure. Google could do something like this for their messenger. let them know this is the evolution to carrier text messaging in a funny way while showing it. some of these companies do well when they want. what hurts them is being out of touch. times change and they have to change with them. the ones that do see their pockets filled.

like I said a in that long post[e]1f602[/e] advertising is key. so many people make buying decisions off of good advertising and couldn't intelligently tell you a good reason for it. with this it would be so easy. I have a bunch of ideas for commercials that would be great but hey I'm not on anyone's payroll so......

14. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

pgrey, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I wonder how many people use the Google Messages app, on OP phones, currently? Or any unlocked phone, for that matter, how about unlocked-Samsung phones, another good one?
    It'd be super-cool, for OP to release the numbers here; I don't think it would violate privacy or some-such, but it would show exactly "how big a mountain this is, to scale", at least for one manufacturer, one with a lot of "enthusiast users", so probably one of the easier ones to "convert", IMO.
    I bet it's small, <20%, of users NOT using the built-in OP Messaging App, if that.

I'm not saying they can't, but it won't be easy, and if you look at Samsung, and the whole deal with their "in house" Messenger app (probably originally forked from the Google code, at least pieces), that thing has all sorts of "one off" implementations in it, per-carrier...

Ultimately, leaving the iOS folks out of it, I'd bet that maybe 2-3% of Android users have ANY clue what messaging app they're using, and why they might be using that one, or even care, at ALL, they "just want it to work".
    Convincing that 97%-ish to "convert" is all sorts of "messy". There'll be tech issues, carrier issues, and OEM issues, HUGE ones, IMO, unless this is very carefully coordinated/orchestrated.
    I don't think the "steamroller" approach is going to work, at least not in the US, with the current outlay...

I would be ELATED, to be proven wrong though. I'm ALL ABOUT standardizing this, most of my engineering work has been about driving h/w and s/w boundary standards, to make things more "compatible", in various ways...
    I've been jabbering about RCS, on the ATT forums (I'm a certain-level of user on those forums, where I can sort of "influence things"), for several years now, ever since Google started talking about the specs.
    I bet I've gotten 50-100 people interested in RCS over there, if that, over that entire time.

15. Phillyslix Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

Phillyslix, Jun 18, 2019 :
    The US just seems to be the last to get stuff going. Hopefully, Google will start implementing here sooner than later.

16. Darrell langton Donut Jun 18, 2019

Darrell langton, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I think like apple iMessages for example it should be native rcs on the stock sms messenger app for Google or any one that runs Android software then there are only the 2 competition apple and android. I know it may eat data but 90% of carriers offer unlimited data and text idk it's a shot in the dark but would love if we can some how uses the TMobile US version of the op7 pro software and implied to the global version

17. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    you're probobly right about the people that have phones and it's not default app. all Google has to do is advertise. Apple does this all the time. people learn after they are using products and services but it's the advertising that gets people in. If you can't advertise for @#$# I don't care how good your product is [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

18. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 18, 2019

pgrey, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I think that Google is "avoiding" the US implementation, for MANY reasons, the carriers being at top of the list, they have a more "purely capatalistic" model, than some other places, and are much more difficult to "placate".

Advertising is great, but iOS has the messaging app built-in, regardless of carrier, and with their (significant) marketing leverage, have gotten carriers to work with their protocols.
    I just don't see your average (US) consumer, watching a TV commercial about "Android Messages" and thinking, "Gee, I think I'll go mess with my messaging app, to try this out".
    Sure, there are always the "curious few", but unless you make this some sort of "default" or at least a "hard opt-out", for Android devices, I think the adoption will go about the same as it did for Hangouts/Duo...
    The carriers "gate" almost all this stuff, in the US, because they want to be the ones with the "best-perceived-enhanced-messaging-system", even if it's a heaping-pile, that's incompatible with everything else...
    With "Sheeple consumers", who have no idea what messaging is really "good", it's very easy for them to do this.

Try asking your friends, what they think of the new "Google RCS advances", go for it, see what kind of looks you get ;-]

19. khaf Froyo Jun 18, 2019

khaf, Jun 18, 2019 :
    most people just follow. put it out there enough. this is just like using Hangouts. if I'm missing something about this let me know. I didn't see evidence of carriers Being mad about Hangouts or Allo. if you tell people this is more in line with immessage I bet they'll come. there are so many people that haven't used iMessage and want something like it for Android. Time will tell. Many phones have Google's messages baked in. people don't know about Google RCS advances because it's not put out there like that. people couldn't tell you what Nexus was but now with advertising most people can tell you about The Pixel even if they don't know by name(Google phone) [e]1f602[/e]

20. pgrey Honeycomb Jun 19, 2019

pgrey, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I hope you're right.

Yeah, the carriers and OEMs were not upset by Hangouts/Duo/Allo/whatever, because it was a VERY small piece of their messaging market.

For GM/RCS/Universal_Profile, this would totally replace their "enhanced messaging services", for both carriers AND OEMs, that have "spun" these other apps/services, as "the very best out there" (that's a bit embellished, but you get the idea).

Now, Google is going to say "Nope, that stuff's all garbage, here's OUR solution, and it's completely carrier/OEM-agnostic, and everyone gets the same deal" (more or less).
    It's truly an awesome opportunity for consumers, I'm about 5000% behind that side.
    For the carriers/OEMs, who all of a sudden have no "value added messaging sell point", it's perhaps "not so awesome".'

I'm sure there are already some "interesting discussions" going on, between these parties; it's not RCS/Universal_Profile is new thing, by any stretch, the US carriers (really a lot of the world, but nobody is as bad as the US, currently, as a whole) are woefully far behind here.
    Maybe they'll embrace it, figuring that this will make some of their "problems with proprietary implementations go away", but I don't see this happening with some, particularly OEMs like Samsung, who DEMAND to be able to differentiate themselves, in various ways (I've done some work for them, through other companies, and worked with their engineers/VPs/various).

It's going to be VERY interesting to see if this actually goes anywhere, particularly in the US (for me anyway), where carriers have been so dominant/controlling, over EVERY SINGLE FEATURE, especially for non-branded hardware (the kind they make no real cash on, directly)..

I think Google has a lot of "Oomph", but I'm not sure they have the right expertise to make this happen, the non-tech expertise part. Maybe this will be different than the previous attempts, I sure hope so...