TO ROOT OR NOT TO ROOT?

1. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

2. Kytharsis Lollipop May 23, 2019

SeeBeeEss, Jorjy and buntycubal like this.
  3. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

Jorjy, May 23, 2019 :

Kytharsis

[​IMG]

I have done it before with my op2.there are a lot of pros and cons like bootloops,bricking your device etc. fun fact-i bricked my op2 10 times , galaxy s7 3 times and op 3 5 times.

4. Kytharsis Lollipop May 23, 2019

Kytharsis, May 23, 2019 :
    If you're doing any of that, you're doing something very wrong. I've only bootlooped twice on my 6 and that was because I forgot to uninstall a Substratum theme the first time and the second was due to me sideloading Magisk incorrectly post-TWRP flash.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've only rooted three devices my entire life. First was a Galaxy S3 which was a ***** and a half. Second being the 5T and third 6.

5. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

Jorjy, May 23, 2019 :

Kytharsis

If you're doing any of that, you're doing something very wrong. I've only bootlooped twice on my 6 and that was because I forgot to uninstall a Substratum theme the first time and the second was due to me sideloading Magisk incorrectly post-TWRP flash.​

it was mostly due to futile attempts to get the lineage os working on my op2 during the beta version to get pie and I said earlier that I had bricked my op 2 not OP6

6. Kytharsis Lollipop May 23, 2019

Never owned anything past 5T (6T included) so I dunno the hardships of rooting such legacy devices.

Jorjy and buntycubal like this.
  7. theshinybeast Lollipop May 23, 2019

theshinybeast, May 23, 2019 :
    That is the question
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to flash
    The kernels and ROMs of outrageous developers,
    Or to take arms against a sea of customizable ROMs
    And by opposing end them. To die—to wither away on XDA.............

8. Kytharsis Lollipop May 23, 2019

[​IMG]

9. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

Jorjy, May 23, 2019 :

theshinybeast

That is the question
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to flash
    The kernels and ROMs of outrageous developers,
    Or to take arms against a sea of customizable ROMs
    And by opposing end them. To die—to wither away on XDA.............​

Bravo!!.kudos on the word play at the end

theshinybeast likes this.
  10. dcmcc24 KitKat May 23, 2019

dcmcc24, May 23, 2019 :
    I say do it. I root for 2 reasons now which are system wide adblocking and YouTube vanced(no longer need root for). Be aware that of you care about Netflix hd you will lose that though. It will stream at 480p max.

Jorjy likes this.
  11. Jogi5 Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

Jogi5, May 23, 2019 :
    If you are unsure, just unlock the bootloader and root later........ Or not....

SeeBeeEss, Jorjy and Kytharsis like this.
  12. theshinybeast Lollipop May 23, 2019

On a more serious note, just make sure you are well read on the whole process, follow instructions and you know how to deal with any hiccups that may occur.
    If you do that, go for it. Why do you want to root anyway? Any particular reason?

Jorjy likes this.
  13. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

Jorjy, May 23, 2019 :
    I have done it before with my op2.there are a lot of pros and cons like bootloops,bricking your device etc. fun fact-i bricked my op2 10 times , galaxy s7 3 times and op 3 5 times.so I guess I am well read about the process and have dealt with nearly all the types a hiccups one can face

drl431 and theshinybeast like this.
  14. Jorjy Donut May 23, 2019

Jorjy, May 23, 2019 :
    I wanted to root it to get xposed which comes with all of the tweaks and mods like YouTube vanced,greenify etc.

15. Kytharsis Lollipop May 23, 2019

Xposed doesn't work with Pie (yet) but most of the root apps you'll use are Magisk modules.

16. theshinybeast Lollipop May 23, 2019

Then why not, as said above, you ain't got no xposed, but you know what you're doing, go go go.
    Just check everything out, things have changed since OP2 days. Encryption is the first that comes to mind.

17. SeeBeeEss Ice Cream Sandwich May 23, 2019

SeeBeeEss, May 23, 2019 :
    Guess I am odd man out! A few years ago I would have rooted almost any Android (an OS I loathed) device, now not so much. Android has gotten better over the years, I haven't found anything I just have to have that I can't get through normal channels, and I am fairly happy with OOS so far.

If OnePlus continues on the path that they appear to be on (system nanny for the masses), I might consider rooting again...or just find another OS still operating close to stock (hopefully there will always be a niche market for those who don't want silly add-on fluff).

If you've got the time and interest, rooting can be a heck of a lot of fun. Maybe I am just getting old. I don't fool around with my PC's system that much anymore, either.

Jorjy and cdnfarmer like this.