Tomorrow nailed down: What should be the next product category for OnePlus?

1. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 24, 2021 :
    I can use it to track my phone as I lose it too often....ohh wait a min :eek:

Cheetosdust and Dresa91 like this.
  2. Binepal Binni , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 24, 2021 :
    +1

SRD. likes this.
  3. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Apr 24, 2021

Cheetosdust , Apr 24, 2021 :
    You should get a second phone. Put the tag on the first one and track using the new one. :p

Dresa91 likes this.
  4. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 24, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 24, 2021 :
    @Cheetosdust, you are on the right track with the Speaker, add in dual 20w speaker and subwoofer.

But also add in Mesh WiFi and a tie in With Alexa or Google Nest for media online connectivity and all the other features they have. An all in one device.

With additional features for other OnePlus devices and compatibility with other manufacturers Android phones.

Also controllable with an interface maybe a 5 inch touch LCD and remote control, or Remote Bluetooth app, Android 11, placed face up or at a slight angle off the horizontal in landscape mode, so you can see the time on the screen saver. Screensaver designed so that the angled screen makes the clock look like it's flat front facing.

Connections would be HDMI 2.1 to use as Android TV box with OnePlus TV software. 1 USB C 3.1 port. 2 USB 3 A ports, Ethernet port, WiFi as well. Snapdragon 6 or 7 series SOC, 4GB Ram, 64GB or 128GB storage. And an Sata port slot to attach external 2.5" drive Sata SSD.

12mp + Camera built in for calls. Can sell Bluetooth Keyboard as an accessory.

Everything in one device for less than €400 or thereabouts. Might have to compromise some items to get the price down. But a BOM would have to be done to find out how that could work.

So a Android TV/Speaker/Alexa or Google/Media server/Conference/Social media device.

What do you think.

5. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2021

Seems like a good idea...
    I can make mockups for it - just for fun

Cheetosdust and Caoimhín like this.
  6. Caomhin

Al in one device, not the 4 or 5 devices all over the place. Environmentally friendly, Energy saved, one plug socket required. Does all the jobs of many devices all in one place. Can be linked to any other device you have as well, as a media/file server. Has Mesh built in for extended WiFi. Everything in one box. 👍

Cheetosdust likes this.
  7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2021

It will be thick though, I can place modules on the back of the TV and completely relocate the speaker bar to front. And an FFM module with webcam on top for AV calling

Caoimhín and Cheetosdust like this.
  8. Caomhin

Easily be made about the same as a soundbar, just a bit wider front to back. But would be invaluable as an all in one device.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  9. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Apr 24, 2021

Cheetosdust , Apr 24, 2021 :
    If the design is good, I would love it. About the camera, perhaps have all the care with privacy (some way to cover it or at least an indicator when it is in use).

This could work like a perfect HUB. The included screen could do wonders if well integrated with the rest of the OnePlus devices on top of the information you mentioned. Imagine having an indication of your OnePlus Buds battery and a gentle warning letting you know about it so you are ready when you leave the house.

I love products that make your life easier and this is a really good example of one. I am not so sure about the price, but like you mentioned, even if some features were dropped, it would still be a great centerpiece. :cool:

Immi007 and Caoimhín like this.
  10. Caomhin

Would love to see some designs, maybe the length of a standard soundbar or a bit shorter, with the screen at about a 45° angle in the middle, something that would be the about size of a 5 inch mobile but sunk into the soundbar. With the Time stretched on the screen so it looks flat when looking at the soundbar at approx eye level. Will look stretched when looking from the top down. Ports at the back, or the side, with a slot for the SATA connection sunk into the soundbar so that a 2.5 inch SSD will only slightly protrude from the top. Or into the opposite side if it will fit, even at a 45° angle to reduce the height and width.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  11. Caomhin

Basically the screen will be a phone without the Mobile Network adapters. Something like the Apple iPod used to be, but in normal Android format or a like 5 inch tablet, with no back, so electronics can run cool.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  12. Caomhin

I reckon the price could be accommodated, basically it's a small tablet housed in a Soundbar with the 2.1 speakers or 4.1 or 6.1 whichever way they can be configured on price. With connectivity, really only addition is an SATA port. And mesh WiFi board with the necessary aerials.

Environmental, practical and with so many uses who wouldn't want one, and with a good design, I reckon it could work great. Entertainment system, WiFi mesh router, media, social media all through the soundbar and or TV.

Am not a designer myself, I use the right side of my brain. Though the missus reckons I use none of it 👀👀🤣🤣🤣

Cheetosdust and rhyd1am like this.
  13. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2021

What do you want the screen size to be?
    What if I made the screen larger, complete edge to edge with a 14 inch DA soundbar? It will be a personal portable and compact home entertainment theatre too! :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021

14. P1564395520095
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2021

15. Caomhin

Whatever looks good and fits the dimensions, I only though 5 inch as you only need interact with it to set it up and if you want interact with apps for media, or just have the mesh, server on, if you don't want to have the TV on.

Or maybe no screen, it can all happen via HDMI on the TV. That would make it completely neat. Just a digital interface at the front with time, and on off status. Maybe WiFi/Lan on status.

Cheetosdust, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2021

Oh, I get it now :)
    Should I keep the camera as a detachable one to be mounted on TV or with retractable cables? Or embedded in the unit?
    Now I have something to do in my free time :D
    Will complete the design in a day or two ;)

17. Caomhin

Take your time, I can picture it in my head, just my hands don't coordinate when it comes to drawing. Ends up looking something a 2 year old would draw. 🤣🤣

18. Caomhin

Maybe attachable to a USB C 3.1 port on top. And add a digital optical sound connector. Usually standard on a soundbar. Hard to imagine exact dimensions, would have to be soundbar length and height , width might have to be broader to accommodate electronics. Just thinking of it sitting under a TV as most soundbars do. But could also be standalone If it incorporates a screen to interact with. And all features can also be accessed via an app either through Bluetooth or WiFi file share.

Appreciate you taking the time to do this.

19. Tomás Gonçalves
    Eclair Apr 24, 2021