Other

Took a swim in the pool and forgot my OnePlus 6 McLaren in my pocket [water]

1. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

KuwaitNET, Jun 20, 2019 :
    i forgot my OnePlus 6T McLaren edition in my pocket and went into the pool after around 5 minutes or more i remembered that it's in my pocket so quickly took it out of my pocket and the screen was on.

Placed it inside the tower to dry then had a look on it after a couple of minutes it was on 1+ sign rebooting then reached the SIM PIN entering screen

I was worried so I turned it off because the front facing camera still has some moisture in front of the camera. Now almost 2hrs later the moisture still there on the screen

I started to shake the phone and some water drops started to drop from the speakers (bottom side) and the small hole open top of the phone (i think its the noise cancellation microphone or so)

Anyhow the phone is still switched off and the moisture became small water drops (maybe because of of the room A/C)

I googled and found out that the OnePlus 6T isn't water resistant

What are my options here?

My apologies for the long thread but I'm clueless (i'm currently traveling not in my home country to take it to the OnePlus 6 dealer to open it and check the water from inside like some videos on YouTube suggested to open it and dry it out

X1550600014337 likes this.
  2. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

This is a photo of the moisture on the front facing camera (I'm pointing from an iPad camera excuse the resolution)

Attached Files:

3. Nick 59 Lollipop Jun 20, 2019

Nick 59, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Your best option is to get it in a bag of (uncooked) rice asap.
    Do not turn it on or you risk causing further damage.
    Leave it to totally dry out for a couple of days or more then test your luck and try to turn it on.

4. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 20, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 20, 2019 :
    If the phone was on when you went for a swim and it's been turned on since, you can try the rice trick, but I have a feeling it won't work that well.

You're gonna need to get it repaired when you get home.

Nick 59, KuwaitNET and David Y. like this.
  5. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

It did not turn off and stayed off, it rebooted and was on the SIM PIN screen then i turned it off by pressing the on/off button and selecting Power Off option

It's still turned off, i think I'll go and grap some rice from the local market, how many hours into the rice?

Thanks for your contribution to solve my problem

6. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 20, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 20, 2019 :
    It really depends. As long as you can go without your phone, really. Maybe a day or two?

Nick 59 likes this.
  7. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

Couple of days? That long? :( can't live without a device, i use it for navigation when driving and so

Thanks for your contribution to solve my problem...

8. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

I opened the SIM cards try and found something really weird, a red liquid over them not just normal water, is it the water got mixed with something inside and made it red or what?

9. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 20, 2019

I placed a tissue inside the tray place and this was on the tissue some reddish water drops

Attached Files:

10. Afzal Khan KitKat Jun 20, 2019

Afzal Khan, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Now dont do anything else..its the water damage indicator OEM's put inside the phone to detect the water. Put it in the Rice bag asap. AND DON'T TRY TO TURN IT ON...For two days minimum.

KuwaitNET and Nick 59 like this.
  11. Roger.T Jelly Bean Jun 21, 2019

atinjadia likes this.
  12. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 25, 2019

13. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 25, 2019

KuwaitNET, Jun 25, 2019 :

14. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 25, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 25, 2019 :
    Still. Take it to the service center and get it inspected.

15. KuwaitNET Donut Jun 25, 2019

KuwaitNET, Jun 25, 2019 :
    Yup once I'm back home will do, we have an official 1+ center in Kuwait

B_Wrath likes this.
  16. tide1109 Honeycomb Jun 25, 2019

tide1109, Jun 25, 2019 :
    The OnePlus 6 and newer have some water protection. A rubber ring on the sim card tray and on the usb port.
    That prevented the phone from completely dying.

You can see this in the teardown. The OnePlus 6T and the McLaren Edition should be the same.

17. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 25, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jun 25, 2019 :
    This helps against splashes and quick dips, but 5 minutes, like in the OP, and it's pretty much screwed