Top 5 Utility Apps for the OnePlus TV

1. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 25, 2020

Venky61 , Mar 25, 2020 :
    image.png

Hello Everyone,
    This is Venky and I am here to share my Top 5 Apps that improve the OnePlus TV's usage experience. Though the Android TVs play store is bundled with numerous apps, there are countable apps other than the regular Media Playing Apps that would be useful for the TV usage.
    One main reason for this as I understand, is the limited application of a TV in our lifestyle. It's not like our phone or Laptop/desktop that we use for many other tasks in our life.
    The other reason could be the limited user base of the Android TV, the App developers are still not driven to provide their services to the TV OS. OK, enough with my ranting, now let's get into the App List :p

1. Send Files to TV
    The first and foremost advantage of having an Android TV is the ability to sideload Apps and the best way to do this is by downloading the apk on your phone/laptop and transfer it to the TV for installation. Send Files to TV is by far the easiest way to do wireless transfer of files between devices. So let it be apk, photos or video file, the transfer speeds are good and works flawless. You need to install the App both on the TV and the device you want to transfer the file from.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 16.31.35.jpeg

Pros:
    • Easy to use.
    • No connection Interruptions even with large files.
    • Clean Interface.
    • Works for Windows Devices too.
    Cons:
    • No option to filter based on file type.
    • It cannot install Apps from it's interface. One need to install the Apk from file explorer after transfer.
    2. FX File Manager
    The default File manager of the OnePlus TV is good for playing videos but not for advanced tasks like File transfer, cleanup etc. Out of many other file browsers I used, FX stood out as my favorite. The interface and the split view are amazing. If you are power user and would often connect USB/External drives to access media, then this app would be very much handy.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 16.52.19.jpeg

Pros:
    • Minimalist Design Interface.
    • Split View for easy file transfers.
    • Cleaning Tools for identifying Duplicate files and Large size files.
    • Theme Options to suit your taste.
    • Supports External Storage Devices.
    • No Ads.
    Cons:
    • No cloud storage or Network browser in Free Version.
    • No gallery to show Media files separately.

3. ATV Launcher
    Unfortunately the Android TV OS doesn't support custom launchers and even hide the app icons that are side loaded. ATV launcher is an App drawer that can show all the apps neatly arranged. The App also has a Pro Version that gives access to creating custom folders and change the number of rows and columns. I keep this App in the top of my Fav Apps list for easy Access. :)
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 17.29.15.jpeg

Pros:
    • Access to Sideloaded Apps.
    • Change App Icon.
    • Wallpaper selection option.
    • Tidy setup of the Apps.
    Cons:
    • Takes 1-2 secs to launch.
    • No search option.

4. Photo Gallery and Screen Saver
    I like personalizing my Screen Saver and this App provides the best way to do that. Through this App you can choose personal media from Google Photo Albums, Facebook or Dropbox and High Definition Videos from Apple's Aerial Dream. In the free version it can use media from only one source at a time but still it serves my purpose of customization.
    If you are planning to use pictures from Google Photos, I would suggest to make an album with your choice of photos.

Below is the Screensaver with a photo clicked by me
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 19.40.01.jpeg

Here's another video screen saver from Aerial Dream Source.

Pros:
    • Customized Screensaver from personal cloud storage.
    • Easy to Setup.
    • Aerial Videos Included for screensaver.
    • Supports both photos and videos.
    • Quick Syncing with new photos in Albums.
    Cons:
    • Gallery is mostly useless as free version can only show 50 oldest photos.
    5. Plex
    If you want to access media files available on your Desktop/Laptop directly from the TV without the hassle of Cable Connections or External Drives, Plex Media Server is the solution. Install Plex on TV and media Server on your Desktop/Laptop. Select the folders/files to be synced and once they are synced, seamlessly access them from your TV. It also has access to few videos and movies from online but nothing interesting as such.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-19 at 20.32.56.jpeg

Pros:
    • Supports 4K video files.
    • Auto generation of Cover Arts for movies & music.
    • Seamless playback.
    • Support for Audio Passthrough.
    • Auto Syncing.
    Cons:
    • Requires high internet speeds for smooth playback.
    • Doesn't Support Dolby Audio/Dolby Vision.

So those are my Top 5 Apps that I regularly use on the OnePlus TV. I hope the info would be useful for my fellow users and if you think you know about an App that should be making this list, don't miss to share about them :)

@Todd W. @Catherine W. @Kevin Lgh @Eddy W. Can you guys share what's your fav Utility App :D

Will be back with another post, until then Happy Streaming :)

For detailed Q&A, discussions, Tutorials and developments regarding OnePlus TV, do check this thread

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

2. Guru0277
    Gingerbread Mar 25, 2020

Venky61 likes this.
  3. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 25, 2020

Guru0277 likes this.
  4. ginzon
    Froyo Mar 26, 2020

ginzon , Mar 26, 2020 :
    I purchased FX File explorer when I bought the TV, and it's really handy.. Worth the purchase..

Venky61 likes this.
  5. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 26, 2020

Venky61 , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Yea... I saw that the premium one has much more features... Will buy if needed :)
    The copy paste option is the best in Fx. Very clean.

ginzon likes this.
  6. Aarav Sahni
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 28, 2020

Aarav Sahni , Mar 28, 2020 :
    @Venky61 A very helpful and useful post. Thanks for covering all the aspects and giving us information about every app.

Hey peeps ! Do try out these apps and let us know which one is ur favourite. My personal favourite is Send Files to TV

OP....nightmare and Venky61 like this.
  7. Aarav Sahni

8. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 28, 2020

Venky61 , Mar 28, 2020 :
    Thank you bro... Send Files to TV seems to be the fav of many :D

Sure thing ... Will tag you next time to notify :)

Ansuman Budhia and Aarav Sahni like this.
  9. Aarav Sahni

10. Catherine W.
    OnePlus TV Software Engineer Staff Member Mar 31, 2020

Venky61 and Aarav Sahni like this.
  11. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Mar 31, 2020

Venky61 , Mar 31, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing your favorite App :) May be it's to add a push files App by OnePlus as it seems the most used/required feature... Just saying :D

Catherine W. likes this.
  12. bossc211
    Cupcake Aug 21, 2020

bossc211 , Aug 21, 2020 :
    Thanks for the post! I was searching for an good app to send files from mobile to TV, this post is informative!

Venky61 likes this.
  13. Alvinantoz
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2020

Alvinantoz , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 22, 2020 :
    I just installed send files app it works fine I was just looking for an app for this purpose. it's fast and easy to use. The first one in your list is the best. Thanks for the info [e]1f60a[/e]

Venky61 likes this.
  14. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Aug 23, 2020

Venky61 , Aug 23, 2020 :
    Glad you guys find it useful :)

bossc211 and Aarav Sahni like this.
  15. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Nov 18, 2020

Yash Pratap Singh. , Nov 18, 2020 :
    I agree!
    SFTTV is definitely the most user friendly and helpful app for the OnePlus TV!

Venky61 and Aarav Sahni like this.