Torras Aluminum Bumper Signal Tests

1. RobertWilcox
    Froyo Oct 16, 2014

RobertWilcox , Oct 16, 2014 :
    The Torras aluminum bumper is a very good looking case for the OPO, however, as many know, aluminum is notorious for blocking cell signal. I saw some reviews, but all of them just said ambiguous things like, "I didn't notice any change in signal." I decided I wanted hard facts and percentages, so I tested signal strength and speed with and without the Torras aluminum bumper, and I noticed some interesting things.

My signal dropped from 4 to 3 bars if I had good service, and went completely away if I was at 2-3 bars. I also found that my phone would often have fairly good signal, but not connect to LTE network. This is not a device issue, as it was quickly solved by removing the case. I also had issues with GPS connectivity, which were solved by removing the case.

I also did speed comparison, and found that with the case, download speed was 8.3% slower, upload speed was 16% slower, and ping was 5.6% slower. While these are not huge drops, they were enough for me to go without the case.

All this being said, I really do like the build quality and aesthetic appeal of this case. You have to make the trade off of protection and looks, for less speed and signal. I would say, if you live in an area with good signal, go for it. It won't make a big difference. If you live in an area with poor signal or signal that often cuts in an out, as I do, then find another case.

Vito B., nishil.shah and gusuraman like this.
  2. GeertBerkers
    Lollipop Oct 16, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  3. Nilesh Sajnani
    KitKat Oct 16, 2014

4. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Oct 16, 2014

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  5. Chiel
    Froyo Jan 9, 2015

Chiel , Jan 9, 2015 :
    Same here. Without alu bumper the indoor signal is poor (-99dbm*) with alu bumper it drops to very bad (-107dbm). Swapped simcard today 'cause I thought it might have been a badly cut simcard.

This is indoors on the Dutch Vodafone network where signal should be ok according to https://www.vodafone.nl/support/netwerk-en-dekking/dekkingskaart.shtml

Back to the ugly plastic bumper again.

*All measurements with SignalGuard app.

6. shujin51
    Gingerbread Feb 12, 2015

shujin51 , Feb 12, 2015 :
    Did any manufacturer managed to design an aluminum bumper without giving us any issues? I mean who would want to buy their products and keep them when they actually giving us problems?